RCCL vs NCL for family with 17 & 21 yo

woodside_boomer

We are cruise newbies and need your help. We are looking for someplace warm to go over Christmas break with our teen & no longer teen (17 & 21). We were originally thinking an AI with lots to do would be good. We all like the beach & water activities. Want somewhere that we can spend some time together & some apart. After much reading of AI reviews and comments on tripadvisor, now I'm thinking a cruise might be a better option. Specifically, we want the 17 yo to have activities available at night.

After searching cruisecritic reviews and options, it seems to come down to Caribbean cruises on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas or NCL's Norwegian Jewel. RCCL's ships seem to be higher rated for teens, but I like the more casual style of NCL. Personally, I don't want to have to dress formally on vacation!

What do you think? Will there be plenty of teens & enough to do for a 17 yo on the Norwegian Jewel? Should DH & I sacrifice casualness & go with RCCL? Has anyone been on these ships over Christmas break? Is there anything else we should be considering? Thanks in advance for your help.

I think if you would prefer NCL go with NCL. There will be a lot of teenagers on board because this is a holiday cruise.

Now, if you didn't have a preference then I would have recommended RCI. I think it would be a little nicer for both the children and the parents.

Keith

I only know from experience on the one NCL cruise I went on.... but there were not enough organized activites compared to the other cruiselines I have been on. I was 24 at the time and the average age of cruisers on that cruise had to have been 55. I would go with Royal Caribbean.

My nieces are teenagers and love RCI. They said there are lots of activities set up for teens and they always wanted to be there. Also, I cruised RCI when I was 22 w/my husband and we loved it.

I have never been on NCL so I have nothing bad to say about this line. I personally just love RCI and also the Freedom class ships are awesome. The kids will never be bored!!

Archived