First cruise: QM2 Labor Day - have questions.

mainewoods

Hi CC. I'm a new member to this forum (although I've been reading it for about a year now), and enjoyed reading all your good advice to help my husband and I along (so as to not look like complete fools). We've just taken our first ever cruise (the Labor Day cruise on QM2) and have a couple of questions.

First; I do understand that you can't iron in your room (based on the info that I gathered from CC forum). So I purchased a travel steamer. But when I read the literature in the cabin, I noticed that it states that "non-thermostatically controlled" water heaters cannot be used. So my new steamer went quickly back into my baggage (I shouldn't have read the reviews on the website where I purchased it, that said that folks bought it for thier cruise).

We travel with those little immersion heaters that go into a coffee cup and heat water, but they don't shut off. So we didn't use those at all. But my clothes steamer boils the water, and will shut off when unplugged, and for safety, will shut off if empty. Would that device also be a no-no on board?

How about those small electric tea kettles that brings water to a boil and then shuts off. Would you define that as "thermostatically controlled"? We like to have coffee in room (not the room service coffee) but really don't like going up to King's Court each time for hot water (we both use instant type coffees). Do you have any suggestions on how we can have hot water in room (again without calling for, or arranging for room service)? The hot water out of the tap isn't quite hot enough.

Did love the cruise though. Booked another one for the NYC, Halifax, Boston 4th of July, 2010.

Archived