Limassol cyprus

gmadvm

What to do in cyprus. We are only in port from 10:30-4pm on a Sunday. It sounds like Limassol itself isn't much to see. Will we have time to get a taxi out to Kourion and get back to the ship by 3pm. Is it not worth it for such a short time in port. We hate to spend time on the ship when we are in port and try to stay away from the ship tours. Anyone have an idea for cost of a taxi to take us there for an hour or so? This is the most difficult port to plan.

What to do in cyprus. We are only in port from 10:30-4pm on a Sunday. It sounds like Limassol itself isn't much to see. Will we have time to get a taxi out to Kourion and get back to the ship by 3pm. Is it not worth it for such a short time in port. We hate to spend time on the ship when we are in port and try to stay away from the ship tours. Anyone have an idea for cost of a taxi to take us there for an hour or so? This is the most difficult port to plan.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear our pretty island is causing so much grief!

I'd have thought that you'd be able to have a good look at Kurion in the time available, particularly if you had a good breakfast and held off on lunch until you were back on the ship. Traffic permitting it should be about 30 minutes drive each way.

If you wanted something different to Kurion then these recent threads might give some ideas;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047492

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1015268

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1020473

From memory they reference other historical sites, wineries and some places of interest in the villages directly inland from Limassol.

Mands

• 1 month later...

Mands, you seem like the person that knows it all! Me and my friend will be going to Limmasol in February. We aren't quite sure what to do. What is the best way to get around Limmasol and to Kurion? We definitely want to go there, it seems like it will be worth our time. Also, what is the weather like in February? Anything you can offer will help a ton. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Mands, you seem like the person that knows it all! Me and my friend will be going to Limmasol in February. We aren't quite sure what to do. What is the best way to get around Limmasol and to Kurion? We definitely want to go there, it seems like it will be worth our time. Also, what is the weather like in February? Anything you can offer will help a ton. Thanks.

Hi GreeceMonkey,

We've lived here three years, but still learning :-)

February is arguably the most variable of months in terms of weather. Weather Underground is always useful for the historic information, they'll show February is having lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. Rain is a distinct possibility. However, you've also got a good chance of fine, clear weather with gorgeous blue skies and good temperatures if you are out of the wind. Really, it depends on the gods. As always, lots of layers help!

If you like history then Kurion is a great choice. You might think about a stop at Kolossi on your way back depending how time went. I'm sorry, but I don't have any information on cars or guides. If you are happy driving on the left then there are plenty of car hire places and it should be possible to pre-book a car or van depending on your numbers. If you are happy to leave things to the day itself then it should be possible to hire a taxi/cab with driver for the day at the entrance to the port. From memory there is a bit of a hike from dock to the port entrance though.

Does that do for a start? Do shout if there's something else you think I might be able to help with.

Mands

Mands, thanks for your information and comments. Looking for some more insight, coming in on February 15th, this appears to be a holiday Green Monday - from the web it seems this is a family holiday. Couple of questions; will Limassol's buses, taxis, shops and restaurants all be operating normally? Are there any events relating to this holiday that might be interesting to see? Looking forward to your comments.

Mands, thanks for your information and comments. Looking for some more insight, coming in on February 15th, this appears to be a holiday Green Monday - from the web it seems this is a family holiday. Couple of questions; will Limassol's buses, taxis, shops and restaurants all be operating normally? Are there any events relating to this holiday that might be interesting to see? Looking forward to your comments.

Hi there,

Green Monday is a public holiday, what us Brits would call a Bank Holiday. So, some things will be closed including some stores and restaurants. But, Limassol is a pragmatic tourist town so you should find some places open as usual.

Green Monday, known as Clean Monday in Greece (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Monday) is the first day of Lent and is celebrated by families gathering for vegetarian picnics and kite flying.

Government managed sites such as Kurium may well be closed so you may want to consider this when planning. Heading beyond there to Paphos and watching the kite flyers would be one option, hiring a car and heading northwards into the Troodos foothills and beyond would give a lovely alternative.

Does that help at all? As always, shout if I may be able to help more.

Mands

Archived