Medical Facilities on IOS

olympic19

Hello!

I am a bit of a hypocondriac and I was wondering what the medical facilitites are like on board - are the doctors any good? Do they have all the equipment they would need and is it easy to see someone if you are unwell? Would they get you to a hospital if you needed one?

All RCCL ships have a small but effective clinic on board. They have the necessary equipment to handle small issues. They also full Doctor there. They will have the equipment to keep a person alive until the ship arrives in the next port or if a chopper can come and get them.

The clinic is EXTREMELY expensive compared to land based facilities.

Do not worry. The medical facilities on IOS are very modern and equipped with all kind of equipment.

On a cruise last year, our DS suddenly fainted in the Royal Promenade. Within 20 seconds we were assisted by an officer, who called the medical facility and arranged that we could go there directly. Within two minutes we were in the medical facility, and the nurse started to examine our DS. Some 5-10 minutes after the doctor arrived (from another consultation) in order to supervise and continue the examination. We were very impressed how carefully the nurse and the doctor checked all kind of things (ECG, blood test, etc.) in order to make the right diagnosis. IMO both the doctor and the nurse was very competent.

The doctor told us they could do all kind of examinations on the ship, but they could not make any surgery.

If someone needed to go to a hospital, they would for sure arrange this, either in the next port of call, or in more urgent cases the person would be airlifted from the ship.

I can answer your last question. On our recent trip we noted ambulances arriving to meet the ship on two occasions to take passengers to the local hospital.

If you really want something to worry about, I was told that the ship averages 2 deaths per trip. It may be that with 3000 - 4000 passengers, this is simply the average death rate.

For your peace of mind, when we were on IOS in August a couple had to call the doctor during the night as the husband had chest pains. Within 10 mins he was in the medical facitily and kept until next afternoon on moniters and was fine. Both the man and his wife could not praise the care they both got enough. It was very expensive but as they said that's why you have travel insurance.

I have first hand experience with the Independence medical facility; back in April we did the Trans Atlantic cruise from Ft Lauderdale to England. The evening we left Madeira Portugal about day 9 I had a serious attack of diverticulitus and had no choice but to see the ships doctor, my biggest fear was that they were going to put me in a hospital in Spain. The doctor said that I really should be in the hospital but he did blood work and immediately put me on IV antibiotics for 3-days and I had to go to the medical facility 3 times a day to receive the treatments along with oral antibiotics. Thanks to their professional care I felt much better after a few days and we managed to spend 2-days in England as planed before heading home. The medical cost was $1,800.00 added to our seapass account and they gave us a detailed list of the treatment that I received to submit to our insurance, when you are sick the cost doesn’t matter. I have always purchased travel insurance so I called them about reimbursement and all they needed was a denial of payment from our health care provider and they would cover the cost. I called Mass Blue Cross Blue Shield and they told me under our plan we were covered around the world, it took 3 months but we did get reimbursed in full no questions asked. Since then I have had another attack in June and spent 5-days in the hospital and surgery in July to fix the problem once and for all. I would not hesitate to use RCL medical facilities if needed in the future they are equipped to handle just about anything but I would strongly suggest that you check with your health care provider to see if they will cover your expenses or make sure you buy travel insurance.

I have first hand experience with the Independence medical facility; back in April we did the Trans Atlantic cruise from Ft Lauderdale to England. The evening we left Madeira Portugal about day 9 I had a serious attack of diverticulitus and had no choice but to see the ships doctor, my biggest fear was that they were going to put me in a hospital in Spain. The doctor said that I really should be in the hospital but he did blood work and immediately put me on IV antibiotics for 3-days and I had to go to the medical facility 3 times a day to receive the treatments along with oral antibiotics. Thanks to their professional care I felt much better after a few days and we managed to spend 2-days in England as planed before heading home. The medical cost was $1,800.00 added to our seapass account and they gave us a detailed list of the treatment that I received to submit to our insurance, when you are sick the cost doesn’t matter. I have always purchased travel insurance so I called them about reimbursement and all they needed was a denial of payment from our health care provider and they would cover the cost. I called Mass Blue Cross Blue Shield and they told me under our plan we were covered around the world, it took 3 months but we did get reimbursed in full no questions asked. Since then I have had another attack in June and spent 5-days in the hospital and surgery in July to fix the problem once and for all. I would not hesitate to use RCL medical facilities if needed in the future they are equipped to handle just about anything but I would strongly suggest that you check with your health care provider to see if they will cover your expenses or make sure you buy travel insurance.

I had a similar experience on another RCI ship, though my attack was not as severe as the above. They did bloodwork and prescribed antibiotics (oral) and I was much better in a couple of days. I have since had surgery as well....so no more diverticulitis problems. I found the medical care onboard to be very good.

Ron,

Good to hear from you. From your post, it sounds like the surgery went well. I hope so and want you to know you've been in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you and Sue on another cruise soon. Take care.

Dennis and Mary

Ron,

Good to hear from you. From your post, it sounds like the surgery went well. I hope so and want you to know you've been in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you and Sue on another cruise soon. Take care.

Dennis and Mary

Hi Dennis & Mary,

Yes I had the surgery on July 15th and I am finally back to work this week. It was bit more complicated then the doctor first thought, I had another attack in June and spent 5-days in the hospital. The diverticulitus had abscessed and I had to have a piece of both my large & small intestine removed so orthosopic surgery was out and they cut me open like a pig:eek: Anyway I am ready for another cruise, Oasis in December. BTW, we will be on another transatlantic next September on the Jewel, England to Boston got any plans? I am sure we will sail together again, tell everyone we said hi:)

. . .BTW, we will be on another transatlantic next September on the Jewel, England to Boston got any plans?. . .

Sounds tempting. You may recall our son is in grad school at BU . . . . maybe a long way to go for a visit, but it would be well worth it.

Well we have diverted the thread enough. Take care.

Archived