The turtle farm on Grand Cayman

driker2

Many years ago we visited the turtle farm on Grand Cayman Island and found it to be a very interesting place. We are going on the 14 day (5+9) Spirit cruise at the end of February and I noticed in our just-arrived documentation that the turtle farm is not listed as a "visit location".

Do any of you who may have been on Grand Cayman recently know if the farm is still in existance?

I was there on Nov 15. The turtle farm seemed to be in fairly good shape, which is certainly not true of the rest of the island with the exception of the downtown shopping area. We did not do a ship's tour on Cayman, but just went out and took a tour with one of the operators at the pier. Have a great cruise!

Maryann

It's part of the seemingly overpriced overpriced "sea and see" tour.

You car EASILY make you own taxi arrangements to go ther yourself. There are many people locals offering rides/tour services on the ternder pier. Many.

Dec 21 Turtle Farm pics included in my Dex 18-25 Majesty pics

http://gregcable.com/v-web/gallery/cruisedec04?page=1

The turtle farm is a great excursion particularly with children. I'm assuming your children are rather young since you are taking them on a 15 day cruise during the school year. That age will particularly enjoy this opportunity.

Once off the ship grab a local cab and they will take you. I actually walked further in to town and took the local "cabs". They are actually vans and will make several stops along the way. I think the cost, though, was only $1-3 round trip. Can't remember the exact price.

Enjoy!

A word of caution with small kids and the turtles:

They (the farm) let you pick up the turtles and take pictures.

When your kids are holding the turtles, I suggest that you have them hold the turtles over the water. The turtles tend to wave their flippers when being held. This might startle your kids and cause them to drop the turtle... a fall onto concrete and that turtle will end-up in the soup factory... really.

Kids will especially enjoy the turtle farm since the "hey, dude" turtles in Finding Nemo.

Archived