One more reason why I love NCL....

pcreek

Just got this from an emailed (due to board regulations) "non disclosed online TA newsletter"... hopefully that will cma! LOL

This just makes me realize why I cruise NCL Freestyle.

Celebrity Cruises will launch a Select Dining option that allows passengers to set their own seating time for dinner. Celebrity will still offer traditional early and late seatings, but guests may also choose to make dinner reservations for any time between 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., for each day of their cruise. Reservations may be made up to four days prior to departure.

Passengers who decide to try Select Dining after their cruise has set sail will be able to make arrangements with the dining room's maitre'd within the first 24 hours of departure, provided that space and dining times are still open. Vacations To Go recommends that our guests make Select Dining reservations before boarding to ensure availability.

Parties of more than 20 people will not be able to utilize Select Dining. Additionally, passengers who opt for Select Dining will be required to pay gratuities for their waiter, assistant waiter, dining room management and stateroom attendants prior to departure.

Select Dining will go into effect on the September 26 sailing of the Celebrity Equinox and will be available on other ships in the fleet (with the exception of the Celebrity Xpedition) starting in January or February, 2010.

How in the world will I know before cruise, that I will want to eat at 7:15 every night???? and then, having to pay gratituties in advance to have this priviledge?

Yep.. just not MY style..and why I never tried any other cruise line. Not even interested in it. :D

Just got this from an emailed (due to board regulations) "non disclosed online TA newsletter"... hopefully that will cma! LOL

Celebrity Cruises will launch a Select Dining option that allows passengers to set their own seating time for dinner. Celebrity will still offer traditional early and late seatings, but guests may also choose to make dinner reservations for any time between 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., for each day of their cruise. Reservations may be made up to four days prior to departure.

Passengers who decide to try Select Dining after their cruise has set sail will be able to make arrangements with the dining room's maitre'd within the first 24 hours of departure, provided that space and dining times are still open. Vacations To Go recommends that our guests make Select Dining reservations before boarding to ensure availability.

Parties of more than 20 people will not be able to utilize Select Dining. Additionally, passengers who opt for Select Dining will be required to pay gratuities for their waiter, assistant waiter, dining room management and stateroom attendants prior to departure.

Select Dining will go into effect on the September 26 sailing of the Celebrity Equinox and will be available on other ships in the fleet (with the exception of the Celebrity Xpedition) starting in January or February, 2010.

How in the world will I know before cruise, that I will want to eat at 7:15 every night???? and then, having to pay gratituties in advance to have this priviledge?

Yep.. just not MY style..and why I never tried any other cruise line. Not even interested in it. :D

Well, you DO "pay gratuties in advance" on NCL-- that's what the $12/per person per day SERVICE CHARGE is.

But otherwise, you're right -- I don't understand how easily the idea of "flexible dining" got corrupted, that passengers have to make reservations to eat dinner! What I like about the freestyle/flexible/my time dining/ or whatever other lines call it is the flexibility of being able to choose when I want to eat, and with whom!

My source of amusement is on the boards for other cruise lines the number of people that complain about moving away from traditional dining. If what NCL is doing is so bad, why are so many other lines trying to come up with a similar dining option?

...and when the other lines introduce these dining options they find themselves with large wait lists to take advantage of this "new" dining option.

Go figure!! :rolleyes:

PE

Well, you DO "pay gratuties in advance" on NCL-- that's what the $12/per person per day SERVICE CHARGE is.

The Daily Service Charge is not paid in advance, it's BILLED at the end of the day in which services are performed, and paid at the end of the cruise.

And it's not gratuities. It's a Service Charge. On NCL, gratutities are not required!

Can't get much more non-disclosed, than that! ;) :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see how successful Celebrity is with their new program. Personally, I don't think it will work very well as stated. Maybe they will adapt it before they go fleet wide, but in any event it is certainly NOT the kind of "open dining" that NCL passengers are used to.

The Daily Service Charge is not paid in advance, it's BILLED at the end of the day in which services are performed, and paid at the end of the cruise.

And it's not gratuities. It's a Service Charge. On NCL, gratutities are not required!

Can't get much more non-disclosed, than that! ;) :rolleyes:

LOL oops.. guess I missed that! :D

Well yes, it is billed at the end of the cruise. But the service charge accomplishes the exact same function as tipping, and whether you "pre-pay" or pay at the end -- you're still paying a service charge, or paying the tip for services.

Additional gratuities are never required on any of the lines that have either "pre-paid tipping", or a "service charge"...since again..those are the same things.

But hey, be as picky as you want.

I love that there are such differences as traditional vs "Freestyle" dining in the various cruise lines. It's what makes it interesting and worthwhile to try out different lines and different ships. So far, I prefer traditional dining. It is nice to have the same wait staff and same table-mates each night, and to know that your table is ready for you when you walk into the dining room. But I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't tried both styles.

I plan on trying most of the major cruiselines over the next few years, to find the "perfect fit" for me. :D Not everyone likes the same things, that's why there are differences in the cruise lines.

Happy cruising to all! :)

I first saw this a few days ago when I was "surfing" for another cruise. The first thing I thouht was that this has to be a logistical nightmare. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say when they return though.

I know when we first thought about taking a cruise my biggest concern was traditional dining. I am sure that this is how most cruises or thought of. We have seen the movies and that is how we invision dining. I appreciate that this is the exprience that many are looking for.

It was however something that I would be uncomfortable with. So when I discovered that NCL was a different dining experience that appealed to us we would give it a try. It fit us well.

I believe that other lines saw that NCL had a good idea and started to compete with "Freestyle dining" and offering as an option while also keeping traditional dining. These attempts to please everyone has created many problems and confusion on these lines. It seems that the rule of "You can't please all of the people all of the time" has been over looked.

The failing and confused attempts are also creating a bad impression on NCL. For those on other lines that hated this kind of dining experience will now rule out NCL for this reason.

To each his own, find something that works for you and make the most of it.....we have....and we wish "Happy Cruising" to ALL.

WOW.. that is so confusing. I am not going to put down X or any other cruiseline for their dining options. What I don't understand is how they think they can mix the two in the same venue. What, to me, might have a better shot at it is if they had traditional in one dining room and true Freestyle in another. But what do I know? I'm not a degreed director or VP of the cruiseline, I'm just someone who loves to cruise. 8-)

Where's the "freedom" in "Select Dining"??? You still have to pick a time ahead of time....not much different than traditional dining....just gives you more times to choose from as far as I can see.

I think people like me and my hubby, who do not have set times to eat any of our meals at home, want to dine in the same way on vacation. All my life as a child it was a set time for every meal every day....never changed. My mother was a routine junkie....every thing she did she did on a time schedule and that was how she lived her entire life.........dinner was at 5 PM and that was that. ugh!

So....consequently I spent all my adult years doing the opposite and I love it that way. :D

my first cruise was with X and boy were we CATERED to;) ...it was FANTASTIC but the pressure of FIXED dining was to much for me then it was Carnival and then RC and last but not least NCL and i do just LOVE THAT NO PRESSURE DINING EXPERIENCE.......GO FREESTYLE:D

we recently thought we would go back for our 10th anniversary of CRUISING to X but this DINING thing now is confusing:confused:well thats in 3 years so maybe by then they will have worked it out:)

Where's the "freedom" in "Select Dining"??? You still have to pick a time ahead of time....not much different than traditional dining....just gives you more times to choose from as far as I can see.

I agree. From what I've heard of Celebrity's new program so far, I'd call it "flex time traditional." It certainly doesn't sound like "open dining" in the sense that NCL passengers are used to.

But I think Celebrity plans to "test" their format on a couple of ships beginning this month, with a fleet-wide roll-out not before the first of the year (or thereabouts). I'd wager they will significantly revise the format before then. :-)

The Chef's in the kitchens have a much easier time with traditional dining. First they prepare the starters, then the mains, then deserts. I can't even begin to imagine how they cope with Freestyle.

Just imagine hundreds of people all at different stages of their dinner.

The Chef's in the kitchens have a much easier time with traditional dining. First they prepare the starters, then the mains, then deserts. I can't even begin to imagine how they cope with Freestyle.

A whole lot of each meal is prepared well in advance, and it's a matter of coordination and organization in the kitchen...just as it is at a land-based restaurant where there is no such thing as "traditional dining", except in a couple of very exclusive venues.

I think even NCL has a problem sometimes with the freestyle, and service slows down a bit. I've noticed this especially with new servers. But I would never go back to traditional dining if any sort of flexible dining is offered.

Well, the first people making reservations will have more choices of dining times. As the favored time slots fill up, there will be fewer and fewer choices. Can you imagine purchasing a last minute cruise, then finding only 9:30 pm dining available on sea days and 6 pm on port days?

I like NCL, and I like open dining. I also like X, but unless I'm sure the dining times I want are available, I'll stick to traditional dining on X.

I would imagine that they have a crew devoted to each entree, each app, each dessert etc. If a 200 passengers order the "Baked Salmon" all at once there would have to be several kitchen cooks working on just that alone.....but I also suspect that most of the food is not cooked from scratch so I can see how they can pull it off.

The biggest problem with the lines offering both TD and Anytime is ; alot of people are signing up for the traditional and still going to the "Anytime" when they feel like it (why not best of both ). Which of course creates one hell of a mess. Some will tell you that they check your card at the door , not so from what I have seen. Soooo until they are a little more vigilant about letting TD's into Anytime forget it .

On my last cruise (not NCL) by day 2 all of the "choice" dining times (6-8) in the "Anytime " had already been booked with a reservation for the entire week . I ask you , how is that " Freestyle" ? ;)

Personally, on all other ships, if you choose MTD or Traditional, you should stick to it! People pay the service fees in advance (RCL) for that privilege and when others decide at the last minute to do MTD, it throws off the kitchen staff, servers, etc.

If you're not sure which, do an NCL, try the freestyle time(s) and if you don't like that, lock yourself into a specific dining time, as 'traditional'. Then there's always room in any dining venue, cutting down some of the lines. Let's play nice and fair and enjoy cruising.

JMHO

Archived