Life on board for teen boys.

macnag

I will be cruising for the first time June 19th. This is a graduation trip for my 18 year old and 25th wedding anniversary trip for my wife and I. We also have a 14 year old boy. We're planning the western Caribbean for 7 days on Carnival (Victory).

What FGAs (Frequenty Given Answers) should be I look for on this forum since one boy is just about to start high school and the other just leaving? The 18 yr boy easily makes friends of all ages (male and female) as does my 14 yr old. When they aren't trying to kill each other they get along very well. Although my older son has an excellent relationship with his parents, I want to be sure he has a chance to make this a memorable trip for himself as a young adult. Since he is very socially mature for an 18 year old (no I'm not being naive!), I wonder if there are opportunities/activities to find friendships that are at the right social/emotional level.

Also, what are the teen clubs like for the 14 yr. group?

Thanks in advance,

Macnag

On the first night of the cruise, encourage your teens to go to the teen socials that they have. Usually, this is where they find other teen who they hang out with for the duration of the cruise. My teens ranging in age from 13-18 did not really participate in the organized teen functions but prefered to hang out with the friends that they met onboard.

Dont worry! I'm 14 years old, and have never had trouble being occupied for the entire cruise! I completely agree with Ms. B, if your son doesnt participate in the first night group meeting that they will usually have on the "teen paper" schedule, he might feel a little left out. Its almost like high school, where all the groups are established, its good to be there in the beginning so you can go right in there and meet the people you will most likely be with during the cruise! If they make friends easily and can go right up to anyone and start talking then rest assured, they will have a great time! My 7th cruise or 3rd as a teen is in less than a week and it is a comfort when you know what to expect! Go to the teen meeting, meet people, arrange to meet up the next day and go from there! Guaranteed for a great time! I hope this helped! If you have any other specific questions please go ahead!

Diahndra

This will be my first cruise as an 18 year old, and the last cruise i went on i was 16... On that cruise, i went to the Teen club meeting held called "icebreakers" and it was good because i made a lot of friends, and i went back the next day. This time will be a little different because there is no club or anything like that, but its kind of a new chance of oppertunities!! Im excited :D

I agree with the other posters - make sure that your 14 year old goes to the first "meeting". My daughter was 15 on our last cruise and met tons of kids. They usually caught up with each other in the evening at the teen center and then left and went on their way, usually to the pool. I did not see any teens acting inappropriately - most know how to act, they just choose not to in some situations. This is a great graduation present for all of you! Have a great time!:D

May I also suggest that you book early seating for dinner. Late dinner will conflict with a lot with teen activities as the disco is only open for them during late dinner. 8:-10 pm.

I agree with all the posters--It is very important that your son go to the very first teen meeting. No tmatter how lame or uncool he thinks it is. It will be the best thing he has done all week.

I just saw on the roll call boards that you're on our cruise! My boys will be 14 and 17; this will be their 3rd Carnival cruise. Agree with the other posters about the 1st night get together; a good place to meet friends for the week. There will be limited activities for the 14 year old, but enough to break the ice and meet friends.......several activities during the day, plus the teen get togethers/dances at night (on the Conquest the teens have their own dance club....a big plus). There is also a 1/2 court basketball court and ping pong tables (these are the places my older boy will be most of the time). Don't forget the pool and slide and eating (24 hour pizza, etc.). The pursers desk will give you a deck of cards, upon request; I saw groups of kids playing in various places on the ship. Your WHOLE family will have a great time!

We just went on the Victory's Western cruise over Thanksgiving with my 15 yr old son. He had a blast! First of all, find out if other teens are going on your cruise on the roll call board (sounds like there are :)). Then figure out a way to have the teens exchange emails and pictures beforehand. I created a new Yahoo email account for everyone to email to, then hooked up the teens who were interested in emailing each other before the cruise. This was a HUGE icebreaker for when they met on the ship. Most of the families from the roll call board met the first night at the camp meeting. We adults had as much fun meeting each other as the kids! As soon as they saw each other, they were off and running! My son said this made it a whole lot easier, since they felt they already "knew" each other.

There were many dances for the teens at Club Artic during the week, and one the first night. You will definitely want to eat at the first seating, since many of the teen activities are during the second seating. One night I remember there was a dance from 8:30 to 10:00. My son spent many, many hours hanging out at the O2 teen club above the spa (12th floor). It wasn't on the ship map, but the teens will find it. There were some couches, neat hanging bubble chairs, games, music, etc. The teen host was Kimberly, but I believe she is leaving shortly for another ship. She was excellent and the kids loved her!

We used walkie-talkies to stay in touch with our son. The teens then used them to contact each other, which worked out well for them as well. Also, we did many of the same excursions with the families we met, which made them more fun for everyone. My son says he does not remember seeing a basketball court, but there were ping pong tables available on deck zero. They also got the free decks of cards from the purser's desk to play. Then, of course, there was the arcade. Hint there: if you buy tokens in quantity, you get more for your money. We bought $25 of tokens for $20 and then gave my son and 10 yr old daughter $6.25 per day to spend. We had budgeted them for $5 per day, so this way they got more for the same money. Most games run 50 cents. They also ate TONS of pizza and ice cream!

I took a gazillion pictures :eek:, but if you want to look through them, here are the sites for them:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingmarge

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingmarge2004

There are pictures of the O2 teen club in there, and pictures all over the Victory. As you will see, my son made a "special" friend on the cruise and she figures prominently in our pictures! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :) Have a wonderful time!!

When I was 15 I went on a cruise with my 18 year old sister and my parents. We sociallized a lot (I was also mature for my age and very social) even away from my parents and I met a boy who I married 5 years later and have been married to for 10 years. I also met another boy from across the world who I am still close friends with, 15 years later. It was such a great time I got a job when I came home so I could pay my own way the next year!

Your kids will have a blast!

Esther

Archived