The worst 4 letter word ever!

Get your attention?? :D DIET, I hate that word! This question is not for those of you who have the kind of metabolism where you can eat anything and not gain a pound. You people I hate! Just kidding. But it is the first day of 2005, and I imagine a good percentage of us have made diet part of our New Year's resolutions. With me, I gotta diet before the next Cruise, then diet after that Cruise, and so on and so on. Oh yeah, can't forget to increase the exercise, drink 8 glasses of water a day, cut out or cut down on Alcohol, chocolate, Carbohydrates, fat, calories, blah, blah blah. I hate it.:eek: Wish we could just Cruise, eat, play, drink, not gain weight, then start all over again. Is that too much to wish for? :) Anyone want to share their thoughts on this or their resolutions for this year?

I'll bet 70% of America is trying to diet this month. It's been interesting to watch "The Biggest Loser" because it really does prove that anyone can lose weight with enough diet and exercise. Most people are just not willing to commit at the level that is required. As we say, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!" Good luck to everyone who is currently trying!

Well I used to think like that before I adopted a low carb lifestyle. Now only on rare occasions do sugar or starches pass my lips and even then sparingly. Plus other overall health benefits (clearer skin, less allergies, no acid reflux or IBS, more energy, fat bulges replaced by flat sinuous muscles, low cholesterol and BP... just to name a few) are the reasons I no longer worry ( and I lost over 50 pounds plus 9 inches from my waist as a side thing).

And hey I love chocolate and cheesecake and still eat it, but made with Splenda instead of sugar and it tastes the same (actually better to me)! I do a little exercise, but only a little weight resistance, no hard work... and contrary to others advice, eat WAY more than 1500 calories a day. The problem comes when you adopt the DIET mentality instaed of a lifestyle change. And did you know that if you go under 1000 calories your body goes into starvation mode and you start to STORE FAT! And the muscles then are cannibalized!

Besides dieting to loose weight for a cruise and then putting it back on the cruise is counter productive and dangerous to you body also. I just spent a week in Vegas, a week in Hawaii and did not gain an ounce! The same for my cruises after I started eating healthier.

I always gained 10 lbs. on cruises - until I started Atkins. I successfully went on a 7 day cruise with 2 days in Miami in April and did not gain 1 single pound!:D Nor did I gain any weight over the holidays!:D I am successfully maintaining a weight loss of 43 lbs with 2 more to go!:D

2 little pounds. That's my New Year's Resolution.:D

Yes it is interesting how everyone has the best idea of how to diet. Of all that are out there, I have had the best luck with the South Beach. To me, Atkins even though it may be the easiest on a Cruise, is not for me. I miss the whole wheat breads and pasta. I can do without meat easier than I can a piece of ww bread with a little peanut butter on it. Peanut butter can be like dessert for me. That and fruit. I love fruit and you have to really limit it on Atkins. But the important thing is to eat what makes you feel good as still maintain or lose weight slowly. One thing is the sugarfree desserts are pretty good on most of the Cruise ships, so that helps. :)

I have to agree with abridalmaven and VAbeach since I'm also an Atkins way-of-lifer. Lost 75 pounds and have kept it off for over a year now. Feel great, went from a size 16 to a size 4. No more acid reflux. Can eat whatever I want (as long as it's low carb) and never get sick from it. Even my hair has changed - thicker, more texture, more like it was when I was a teenager. I really don't consider Atkins "dieting" - it's just eating healthier, which produces a lot of benefits! And if I try to eat high carbs now, they taste just awful. Can't do it.

since last February on a modified Atkins. I simply stopped eating anything white. No potatoes, rolls, rice, pasta. I discovered that I only like them because of the stuff one puts on them such as butter, gravy, sour cream, cheese sauces. So I stopped cooking them. Not a big sacrifice. I still eat fish and chicken and small portions of red meat. And I eat my normal portions of fruits and vegetables without sauces.

At first I did feel hungry. I learned to chew gum, popcorn etc.

I too feel better. I don't even like the rich sauces anymore. On a cruise, I choose from the "heart wise" menu choices, or simply instruct the waiter "no potato, or ... " If I see a dessert that I want, I order it. But frequently, I'm not hungry for dessert.

And I loved buying a new wardrobe this fall! I'm still losing. Next fall another new wardrobe. :D

The best thing is that RC has the ship shape menu and that will help a lot with our new and better lifestyles. Many times we eat meals like they are the last ones so i think just by making better food choices we can get more years and more meals for instance.

Like most people, we ate like it was our last meal on our FIRST cruise. All the food is overwhelming. Now that we've been on a few, it's a little easier to not pig out on everything in sight.:rolleyes:

I found it a struggle to stay within the confines of the Shipshape menu -- specifically finding it difficult to deny myself so firmly, when everyone around me was indulging so extravagently. Despite as far down the road I've already gone, I still find it a pretty significant amount of pressure for me, though surely not as much as when I was still working to lose my excess weight.

One thing I've noticed on our November cruise on Majesty of the Seas, and also see on the recently-posted menus from a December cruise on Serenade of the Seas, is that the Shipshape (now named "Royal Lifestyle") entree is actually one of the "regular" entrees, but tailored to a lower-calorie or lower-fat way of eating, by applying a different sauces and/or different side dishes.

Where I did go off the Shipshape menu, in November, it was either to order the Shipshape entree done "the normal way" (and then I'd typically eat less of the side dishes -- I did this one night), or to order the vegetarian entree (which I did on the other two nights). I think I'll feel less of a need to do that this time around, because it seems that they've gotten the message, and the variances from the regular entree to the "Ryaly Lifestyle" entree now seems to always be a replacement of starch with vegetables, which is precisely what I want.

As a first time cruiser, whenever I tell someone I am going on a cruise...they inevitably say " You are going to gain 10 lbs in a week". Weight ( excess) has been an issue for me on and off for the past 10 years. Up 10, down 10, up 20, down 20 and so the story goes. I have finally figured out that weight gain ( unless as a result of a medical condition and/or medication) is a direct result of what I choose to put in my mouth. I have the choice on the ship as to what I eat......I'm hoping that most of the time I will make lean choices, but I also know I have no intention of depriving myself of a "treat" if I want it. I really believe that "moderation" is the key to weight maintenance.

I know that women struggle with their appearances on a daily basis, and it can get even more frustrating when you are on a ship ( or beach) surrounded by slim bikini clad women.....my question is: when does the madness stop???? When can we start loving who we are and accept our bodies as beautiful no matter what our current weight is? IMHO ....sexy is a state of mind ;)

I say, leave your self-conscious side at home and have a GREAT time on the cruise......:)

Atkin's is definitely the way to go. I lost 30# last year and was able to keep it off living a low carb lifestyle. I am now back on Atken's induction (since yesterday) to try to lose another 10#. My husband also lost 40#. It's really not difficult since there are so many low carb products now on the market.

Good luck everyone.

One thing that has helped me, and I know this sounds strange, is to take bulk dark chocolate with us. A little bit is very satisfying and definitely satisfies the sweet urge! :) Got this idea from the South Beach Diet which is simlilar to atkins, but not as strict with the carbs.

Well I do Protein Power which is a cross between Atkins and South Beach and has the best of both. Again no white stuff, if I do ever eat bread I eat whole grains. I have found some great LC bread but do not need them as much now as I did when I started almost 2 years ago. I eat lots of veggies (who would have thought), my Mom now makes the creamed cauliflower for me when we visit and broccoli in cheese sauce and she is amazed. I do not use the ship shape menu but just order double veggies instead of rice or pasta or potatoes. I have also found a way of making lasagna without noodles... yum ( use spinach leaves or thinly sliced eggplant). And those sugar free desserts are great! Not very LC but for maintenance it is fine. And after you make the choice and throw out all of the bad stuff it gets easier. To bad I did not make this choice years ago, But hey for 56 I do not look so bad now:eek:

Well I do Protein Power which is a cross between Atkins and South Beach and has the best of both. Again no white stuff, if I do ever eat bread I eat whole grains. I have found some great LC bread but do not need them as much now as I did when I started almost 2 years ago. I eat lots of veggies (who would have thought), my Mom now makes the creamed cauliflower for me when we visit and broccoli in cheese sauce and she is amazed. I do not use the ship shape menu but just order double veggies instead of rice or pasta or potatoes. I have also found a way of making lasagna without noodles... yum ( use spinach leaves or thinly sliced eggplant). And those sugar free desserts are great! Not very LC but for maintenance it is fine. And after you make the choice and throw out all of the bad stuff it gets easier. To bad I did not make this choice years ago, But hey for 56 I do not look so bad now:eek:

Another vegtable that makes excellent lasagna is large zuchinni sliced thin and long like the lasagna noodles. Yum! A friend of mine did not like zuchinni and did not know it was in the lasagna I made and he loved it, before I told him what was in it. You should have seen his face! :D

I think I will try that one next time! When you think about it you could just about use any vegetable for a layer. I also make sloppy joe's topped with Ricotta when I crave something quick and Italian tasting. My hisband who is a full blooded italian now prefers that to spagetti. He say the pasta gets in the way of the flavors!:eek:

Archived