NCL-Sun Review

Let's call it exageration or having a vivid imagination instead of lying. If you read what netcom has written from the beginning maybe you would understand why I question some of his statements: he started out by complaining about the food with no specifics and how unhappy he was with not getting to one port; as the week has gone by the compliants grow each day, food, staff, language barrior, gym equiptment, just to mention a few complaints; then today he comes up with he was overcharged or charged for something he didn't get; don't you think it sounds a little strange? I think netcom was very unhappy about GC and maybe was expecting the food to be out of this world as some do on ships; when his expectations were not met and someone else choose to write a negative view he jumped o the band wagon. With many of us defending NCL he just kept on and on until the story got a little out of hand. My views only

And.. to other posters on the board, I suppose this is an example that the first time you post, you had better right a book and give every single detail about what happened. Because if you don't bring it all up in the begining and leave anything out of your original post, your a "liar" (accourding to nita).

First, let me say I AM a NCL fan in a big way. Second, we just returned from a trans-canal trip on the Celebrity Infinity during the holiday. We had sailed on the Celebrity Galaxy 2 years ago, as well as Princess 3 years ago. We have high expectations, and we like to have them met. That being said, please allow me my reactions to this review:

First, we sailed on the Galaxy and hated it. We had sailed Freestyle and once on Princess using Personal Choice and that was our comparison point. The Galaxy was structured....We had our expectations set that "Freestyle and Personal Choice" were the standard for cruise ship fare. I did not post a review on the Galaxy, but I am thinking on that board I would have been "flamed" without remorse.

Second, NCL has I believe, made a concerted effort to reduce announcements. Thus perhaps less chatter about the sea conditions. I know that when sailing to FLL on the last couple days of the cruise the waters were rough and the Celebrity Captain was not terribly informative either.

I would venture to guess that no other ships tendered passengers into Grand Cayman either on that day. I can only imagine the ruckus that would have come up if you had totally missed the port and thenheard that other ships had held their PAX hostage until noon and then been able to tender in. Again, changing ports is a BIG deal. There are tenders to arrange, "agents" and then that nasty immigration and clearing issue.

Back to the Celebrity experience. I expected Freestyle on our first Celebrity cruise....Wrong. I expected a repeat of out Galaxy experience on this past cruise through the canal. Instead I feel in love with the SS United States restraunt, found multiple dining options, including casual dining on a nightly basis, and alternative tipping program. I had a great time.

OK, so I was prepared for one thing and ended up with something else. If you expect Crystal and RSSC and get NCL, or some other permutation then you will be disappointed. It is a fact. The reason there are so many brands is that there are so many diferent tastes. If NCL is not for you then do not sail on them again. For others like me, perhaps less formal and structured NCL is my choice. It is all about perception and freedom of choice.

In summary, we all expect something, and when those expectations are not met, we are upset. Nobody is a liar, it is feelings from the emotion of one's own experience. Lets understand and accept that for what it is. the easiest way for me to look at it is just ask someone about the president. Some love him, some hate him. thus it is a matter of personal perspective. We are a free people. Lets all allow everyone their individual biases and experiences, as that is the value of being an American.

And that is my LONG WINDED opinion!

I guess nita has sunk about as low as you can go, but I haven't lied about anything on this board. Nita herself asked for details and I gave them. So did Zeno, I gave them. I elaborated on the Gym thing, etc... Most of the main points I made mention to in my original posting, then elaborated on later. Why nita is so quick to defend NCL at any cost and personally attack me, I don't know. Your out of line Nita, but I'm sure you don't think so. Whatever...

I don't think I am out of line, but you do and have every right to your opinions: what were you overchraged for? think about how your story has evolved? Yes, I am defending NCL as I do all cruise lines when I feel the remarks are either exagerated or unfair. This is my right. By the way I am not a bleeding heart, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think fairness is important. You admit you have never cruised before, so you really have nothing to compare your experience to and some of your criticism (spelling) just don't seem to hold water. You didn't like your experience for the most part even though in one post (your first) you claim to have had a good time: how could that be if you hated the food, didn't think the staff did their job, thought the equiptment in the gym was in need of repair, missed a port for no reason except the captain didn't want to do GC this trip (I know you finally backed down on that issue) and haven't given one example of anything positive about your experience? you have just left with a bit confused. NMnita

I don't think I am out of line, but you do and have every right to your opinions: what were you overchraged for? think about how your story has evolved? Yes, I am defending NCL as I do all cruise lines when I feel the remarks are either exagerated or unfair. This is my right. By the way I am not a bleeding heart, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think fairness is important. You admit you have never cruised before, so you really have nothing to compare your experience to and some of your criticism (spelling) just don't seem to hold water. You didn't like your experience for the most part even though in one post (your first) you claim to have had a good time: how could that be if you hated the food, didn't think the staff did their job, thought the equiptment in the gym was in need of repair, missed a port for no reason except the captain didn't want to do GC this trip (I know you finally backed down on that issue) and haven't given one example of anything positive about your experience? you have just left with a bit confused. NMnita

You asked for details, I gave them to you (and other's) who asked, and you call me a liar. That's how you operate, fine. I really don't care what you think to be honest. People can read these threads and make their own decisions about the information given. I will no longer reply to you because I'm not going to sink to the level of petty argument and name calling that you have.

Okay I'm going to say this and then leave this thread behind.

From what I see netcomm did not even start by writing a review. Someone else wrote a review mentioning a disappointing cruise and netcomm chimed in to mention a few things that he also found disappointing on his cruise. Then someone asked him

"What part, other than the food did you feel was run poorly? "

No one asked him to write a complete balanced review. You asked him to point out the other problems then when he does you attack everything he mentions and blame him for giving an unbalanced view.

As far as the fact that he kept adding things, has this never happened to you? You have an overall impression about something but haven't dwelt on all the details. When someone asks you questions you start thinking and begin to remember other things. I remember the same thing happening when people came back from early POA cruises. They would give their general impression then later add , "oh yeah I forgot they didn't have any mustard for the hot dogs' or ' we had trouble with the water temperature in our shower too." I find his posts more believable because of this not less.

Newmexico

I don't mean to pick on you particularily but in this case I do think you are a little over zealous in your attempt to protect poor NCL.

Saying "Let's call it exageration or having a vivid imagination instead of lying."

just doesn't cut it. Either he had a mischarge or he didn't. When you claim he just added that to his list because he heard someone else say it you are saying he lied how could a vivid imagination turn no mischarge into a mischarge. You are trying to label him a liar but not take the responsibility for coming out and saying it.

Anyway that is my opinion of the situation. If we want to get true and balanced reports to help us make cruise decisions I think we need to stop this practice of attacking people who say anything negative.

You asked for details, I gave them to you (and other's) who asked, and you call me a liar. That's how you operate, fine. I really don't care what you think to be honest. People can read these threads and make their own decisions about the information given. I will no longer reply to you because I'm not going to sink to the level of petty argument and name calling that you have.

As I have said you do have every right to your opinion: we live in a wonderful company that allows us this freedom. I simply asked you about the overcharge and what that was all about as this never came up unitl today. I think Zeno wanted to know if you personally discussed the gym equiptment that did not work with the spa personel. Details you did not really give, but in your mind you did; that's fine: I did become very upset when you attacked the crew for not speaking English to your satisfaction. This again, shows your inexperience in cruising: with the exception of POA all lines employ personel from the Pacific Rim, Romania, the Carribean and other countries where English is not their language. I am sometimes amazed at how well they can communicate with us. I can't imagine being employed in Tiawan and trying to speak their language. This entire diagreement boils down to, Yes, my support of the cruise industry and your attitude regarding what should and should not happen on a cruise line. By the way, I really never called you or anyone else a name, I would not do that:I did question you on the overcharge issue. NMnita

Okay I'm going to say this and then leave this thread behind.

From what I see netcomm did not even start by writing a review. Someone else wrote a review mentioning a disappointing cruise and netcomm chimed in to mention a few things that he also found disappointing on his cruise. Then someone asked him

"What part, other than the food did you feel was run poorly? "

No one asked him to write a complete balanced review. You asked him to point out the other problems then when he does you attack everything he mentions and blame him for giving an unbalanced view.

As far as the fact that he kept adding things, has this never happened to you? You have an overall impression about something but haven't dwelt on all the details. When someone asks you questions you start thinking and begin to remember other things. I remember the same thing happening when people came back from early POA cruises. They would give their general impression then later add , "oh yeah I forgot they didn't have any mustard for the hot dogs' or ' we had trouble with the water temperature in our shower too." I find his posts more believable because of this not less.

Newmexico

I don't mean to pick on you particularily but in this case I do think you are a little over zealous in your attempt to protect poor NCL.

Saying "Let's call it exageration or having a vivid imagination instead of lying."

just doesn't cut it. Either he had a mischarge or he didn't. When you claim he just added that to his list because he heard someone else say it you are saying he lied how could a vivid imagination turn no mischarge into a mischarge. You are trying to label him a liar but not take the responsibility for coming out and saying it.

Anyway that is my opinion of the situation. If we want to get true and balanced reports to help us make cruise decisions I think we need to stop this practice of attacking people who say anything negative.

Ok you win on part of this "true and balanced" I like that one and yes, I may be a little over zealous in my support of NCl (not poor NCL) but you have to admit his story keeps getting bigger all the time; that is where I have my problem. I didn't call him a liar, I questioned one thing: the overcharge. I still maintain he had a bad experience, stated it, did not understand the reason behind the tendering issue and one thing led to another; the next thing everything was wrong and we were all idiots which he did refer to earlier in his remarks (not in so many words.) His opinion of the food is his and anyone can accept that or should anyway; his assessment of the gym, though probably not shared by many, if any, is his and only he knows if the machines were in good repair at the time he cruised. The tendering issue seems to accepted by him after days of trying to explain it, he still thinks he got screwed cause he paid for that port as well, his comments about the language barrior bothers me and I am sure others; he still hasn't come up with one positive feature of the cruise. Now I will try to keep my mouth shut for awhile anyway. LOL NMNita

Archived