Hangers

CleoT

Nancy, best place to find them are dollar general stores we found. They are very inexpensive, yes only $1 for either a suit bag or dress bag. They last anywhere from 3 to 4 trips (depending on how gentle we are with them) and then we just toss them and buy new ones. They work perfectly!

As for the upcoming cruise, no pre cruise in Hawaii this time since we have visited so many times in the past. Instead we changed the booking to do the back to back and still keep our 10 days around Tahiti after the Hawaii to Tahiti sailing. Figured we would much rather be on the ship then in a hotel somewhere. ;) But we were able to get 'Our' favorite stateroom for both legs of the trip.

Our grocery stores and discount stores carry them. We use the 2 1/2 gallon size for small things mentioned.

I also always pick up those HUGE ones (can't remember the gallon size) that are large enough to fit a snorkel bag, or beach bag in and also zips closed. We take one of the XXL ones they came out with a couple of years ago to keep towels and other personal items dry when going ashore and expecting rain, or on an excursion that we know is going to be wet (boats/catamarans). Since they have a handle, it makes it very easy to seal everything inside and nothing gets wet that way. ;) We use them in the suit case going to keep things sealed just in case the luggage might get wet, as it keeps everything inside dry. Then when we arrive, we use the same bag to take onshore. ;)

What a great idea! And the best part, I still have about four of those big, huge ones from when we moved back home last year. Now I've just got to find them. :D

Thanks so much everyone. I do have a couple more questions. These actually come from my mother-in-law, who will be going on the cruise too. Actually, there are nine couples from our small town going. All are friends of my in-laws. We're the youngest, and this is our anniversary vacation, but we're happy to have such a big and fun crowd. Anyway, they have sailed on Holland before, where they had bottled water in the room and available other places on the ship, free of charge. She's wondering if we can expect the same on this cruise.

Also, for those of you who have taken the Peggy's Cove coastal tour in Halifax, she wants to know if the roads are steep and/or have lots of curves around the water. I keep telling her she's worrying too much, but I promised I'd ask. If there aren't too many people here who know, I'll either start a new thread or go to the latest roll calls.

Again, many thanks for the welcome and the help!

Bottled water is charged for on Princess, there is nowhere onboard that it is complimentary. I wonder if this is a new change by HAL, as when we sailed on them twice, there was always a charge for bottled water, just as there is on Princess?

My in-laws sailed on HAL two years ago to Alaska. Don't know if that helps with the time line. And, I wonder if she was charged for them and didn't realize it. She said they were always in their room when they got back from here or there. I think they always drank them for water, so I don't know for certain that she found them outside their cabin for free. I'll ask tonight, as we are having a get-together with some of the couples who are going.

So, could you tell me how much the bottled water is? I'm assuming maybe about what a coke is, which is $2.75, is it not? Also, I wonder, if you get a coke card, can you use it to get bottled water?

Yes, if you would, please ask her. It has been about 5 years (maybe more) since we sailed on HAL, and as said, maybe things have changed. We always found bottled water in our stateroom, but there was a charge for it on HAL (as well as all of the other mainstream cruise lines) we have sailed on in the past. Also, any bottled water onboard you had to sign for (and there was a charge) no matter where you got it from.

As to the price of water onboard, I have no idea to tell you the truth. I think your guess is in the ball park though. We have been Elite for some time and we rarely purchase water onboard as it comes with our mini bar set up, complimentary.

I have found that the really thin "velvet" hangers work best for us because the clothes don't slip off of them. They are light weight and Costco sells them occasionally in big packs. I cover the hanging clothes with dry cleaning bags...works like a charm. I have found that the sea air is great for eliminating most wrinkles. I just pack a small steamer for the more stubborn ones. I also use the plastic zippered cases that my sheet sets come in. They are squared and deep enough to hold socks and underwear, lightweight but really sturdy. We always take a couple of kitchen sized white plastic trash bags along for the dirty laundry. I am usually unpacked in a very short time using this system. We always line the drawers and shelves with a few sheets of tissue paper. Have fun!!! :)

I have found that the really thin "velvet" hangers work best for us because the clothes don't slip off of them. They are light weight and Costco sells them occasionally in big packs. I cover the hanging clothes with dry cleaning bags...works like a charm. I have found that the sea air is great for eliminating most wrinkles. I just pack a small steamer for the more stubborn ones. I also use the plastic zippered cases that my sheet sets come in. They are squared and deep enough to hold socks and underwear, lightweight but really sturdy. We always take a couple of kitchen sized white plastic trash bags along for the dirty laundry. I am usually unpacked in a very short time using this system. We always line the drawers and shelves with a few sheets of tissue paper. Have fun!!! :)

You have given us all some really great packing tips (Especially like the one with the Zippered sheet bags) Thanks - so many great tips from fellow cruisers, that's what I love about CC.:)

Back from our get-together. I'm going to say my in-laws were charged for the bottled water and just don't remember or didn't realize it. I told them we could take some on the ship with us, but they just can't imagine finding a place in NY to get some before they are picked up for transfers. ;) Gotta love 'em.

I'm still going back and forth about the coke card. I'm afraid I won't drink enough to make it worth my money. Also, I do enjoy premium coffees occasionally, so maybe I want to get the coffee coupons. Heck, all I know is, if these are the hardest decisions I have to make, I'm already having a good time. :D

We went over the items we're going to take with us. We're staying at different hotels in NY, as my husband and I will be flying in two days early and they will get there the afternoon before we leave. I heard that the UN will be having their general assembly sometime aroung then, so now I'm off to check when, and to see if we need to add a little extra time to our car service that morning.

Again, thanks so much for all your answers and comments. I so badly wish I could post live from port, like some of the CCers do, but I'm not sure how much the internet is, and I'm not sure how long it takes to post. I don't want to miss ANYTHING! :)

Karen, thanks for the lining the drawers with tissue paper idea. That's easy to do! And my mom loves the plastic bags sheets come in. She uses them for any kind of storage she can think of. now I'll add packing to the list. :)

A couple of other things we always pack: a short extension cord...really good if you have a couple of cell phones to charge, as plugs are limited and spaced closely together; a small flashlight which we keep bedside, a small nightlight for the bathroom (we have one that was a promotional item from a hotel that works really great...no bulb to break, and it emits just enough light to make the bathroom safe at night (I have been suggesting this to Princess for at least a year now..they are very inexpensive and very useful), plus a ziplock bag for the TV remote control (one of the dirtiest things in the room). We go the extra mile and always wipe down the door handles, light switches, countertops, etc., with Chlorox wipes as soon as we arrive in our stateroom. Maybe we are "over the top" with the sanitizing, but old habits are hard to break!

Archived