Readers of Cruise Confidential...

southbayer

Very well put, and I'm glad the author chimmed in and cleared things up.

SouthBayer,

Yes, I feel comfortable after reading the book. From speaking with our wait staff and stewards on previous cruises I was aware of the long hours and limited time off they had. They were all also very emphatic about how they preferred working on the ship to what work was available in their home countries.

Brian did a great job conveying his feelings and emotions as an American working in a job very few Americans could tolerate. I envy his experiences both good and harsh because those experiences have enriched him with a better understanding of the human race than most of us will ever have an opportunity or inclination to learn.

Throughout most of the last quarter of the book, Brian had a goal ahead of him that was more realistic than his initial goal of spending time with Bianca. At the end he achieved both of his goals and followed the path that suited him best. Basically Brian lived an American Dream while living a year of hell and excitement.

Do citizens of other countries have the same opportunities that Brian had? Yes, but they will not achieve them if they fail to aim to achieve them. They may not have the previous experiences that enabled Brian to see himself in those postions, but if they can imagine it, they can achieve it.

Every other week I work those same hours and make do on three hours of sleep each night. Granted I get paid quite a bit more, but the hours are not as unreasonable or forsaken as some might think. I would venture to state that to those people, the money they make is as impressive to them as mine is to me and well worth every bit of time and effort it takes to earn it.

Another subject from the same book is art auctions. I wish there had been more details about those because I haven't attended a single art auction yet. I always stop by the displays and take pictures of the works that I like; I have some awesome backgrounds for my computer! I just can't imagine who takes cruises to buy art? And do enough people make purchases to make it financially beneficial for them to spend so much time and effort to promote them? I thought the first one was a fluke, but they have them every time on every ship.

If you read the book, you would know who said they were working like a slave. I simply pointed it out and form a question out of it, not judging your value system.

Let's not get defensive peeps, we're all just conversating on here, geeze

Excellent point Toni!!!!

Another point is you cannot call it slave labor unless your going out and catching these people, putting them in chains and forcing them to work, isn't that slavery? These people COMPETE for these jobs.

I talked with our room steward on the Constellation with X and she has been doing this for years, yes she's sad to leave her children with hubby and parents to work 6 months at a time, however the money she makes in that time keeps her family in food and shelter for a year, she enjoys her 8 weeks off or whatever it is and then all else she makes is gravy for her family. She is supporting her kids, husband, parents and who knows what other extended family.

These jobs are a Godsend to some of these people, obviously the OP hasn't seen the kids trying to sell beads for 1.00 in ports, or the filthy living conditions of some of the places we visit?

I absolutely feel we are bringing much needed commerce to these countries we visit and the people that are employed on the ships.

I like to spread a few american dollars around to some of these kids in ports and my granddaughter loves them as gifts, win win IMO.

Cheers, Carole

I loved the book and I was upset that it ended. I would LOVE to read more! I want to know too what happened with Bianca!!! I read the book in 2 days! We sail on Saturday and I think I may read it again!

Is there a part 2 in the works?? Please say yes! :D

No one forces any crew person to work for a cruiseline. Crewmembers income is very high for the income attainable in their home countries. On one cruise our waiter told us he'd worked for Carnival for 19 yrs and had bought homes for his parents and his wife and himself and was educating 2 children at University. In fact his son was hoping to go to graduate school in the US, which folks we the taxpayers help pay for. Yes the crew works long hours, yet in their country they work those types of hours too. My husband has worked overseas in health in 3rd world nations for many yrs. We have to realize that these countries do not give their workers rights like we have, 8 hr. days, vacations etc. Actually the work conditions on a cruise ship is far safer than work conditions in many of their home countries. And the important issue is that no one forces these people to become crew. It is difficult to be away from family and if they find it too hard they do not need to renew their contract with the cruise company. It is simply an issue of choice.

This falls under the category . . . . .different strokes, etc.

I read the book and sort of agree with the above. Even if I toned it down I would describe him as a self serving egomaniac.

At least YOU READ the book (unlike some on this thread) so you have every right to your opinion.

I have always been bothered by folks who dismiss a book or want to influence others NOT to read a book that they themselves have not opened. The only way to become any type of critic is to read anything and everything one can. Even when my children were young I encouraged them to just keep reading. I censored nothing. This is the only way to learn to evaluate literature.

OK....now off my soapbox!!

IF you really feel that strongly about the cruise workers, you would stop being a part of what YOU feel is a bad, exploitive situation

can't change the economic facts of the world or change the cruiseline policies etc

if you still REALLY feel that bad about the workers on Carnival, just don't cruise.

Trust me, I won't go to a greyhound track, or have anything to do with any business they have a "promo" with (radio stations, etc) cause I abhor the cruelty of greyhound racing....I also donate and have done volunteer work for greyhound rescue orgs

if you feel strongly, back it up....don't cruise...simple enough??

or...leave on autotips PLUS tip extra, compliment them on the comment cards, and compliment them to their supervisors if you can

Excellent point Toni!!!!

Another point is you cannot call it slave labor unless your going out and catching these people, putting them in chains and forcing them to work, isn't that slavery? These people COMPETE for these jobs.

I talked with our room steward on the Constellation with X and she has been doing this for years, yes she's sad to leave her children with hubby and parents to work 6 months at a time, however the money she makes in that time keeps her family in food and shelter for a year, she enjoys her 8 weeks off or whatever it is and then all else she makes is gravy for her family. She is supporting her kids, husband, parents and who knows what other extended family.

These jobs are a Godsend to some of these people, obviously the OP hasn't seen the kids trying to sell beads for 1.00 in ports, or the filthy living conditions of some of the places we visit?

I absolutely feel we are bringing much needed commerce to these countries we visit and the people that are employed on the ships.

I like to spread a few american dollars around to some of these kids in ports and my granddaughter loves them as gifts, win win IMO.

Cheers, Carole

;):)

If you read the book, you would know who said they were working like a slave. I simply pointed it out and form a question out of it, not judging your value system.

Let's not get defensive peeps, we're all just conversating on here, geeze

I did read the book and found it very entertaining and informative. I loved the author and did not find him egotistical or pompous but thought him really sweet for going to the lengths he did for his Bianca.

:-) Carole

I always feel bad (not pity) for people who have terrible jobs whether they are in the USA or some other country. Most people do what they need to do to earn a living. I know, I've been there done that. Long hours, low pay. I truly believe most corporations will take advantage of any situation to cover their bottom line. In fact it is going on right now with companies having the attitude "in this economy you are lucky to have a job"

I am in management now and the union is a cross I bear. However, I am grateful for all the rights the unions in the past gained for American workers. I do believe that everyone who works for a living deserves a livable wage, decent retirement benefits and health coverage. I understand that if this happens my lifestyle might be impacted since I would need to pay more for things I want. But I truly believe in the long run it would cost us all less.

I think it is a shame that mothers and fathers must leave their children to earn a living. I understand the necessity and I would have done the same to provide for my family . I never forget how blessed I am that I did not have to make that choice. Most jobs have their perks and their costs.

You may not want to call it slave labor but it is "circumstance slave labor" the company knows circumstances will allow them to pay low wages and require long hours. It happens in the US all the time.

My hope is that the majority of cruise ship workers have chosen the job because it offers the benefits they are seeking and not because they did not have a choice.

Archived