Paying Final balance To Travel Agent

moniquet

We have booked a cruise with HAL through a UK Travel Agent. Normally we book through one in the USA but now HAL does not allow them to sell in Europe:confused:

The cruise departs Jan 3rd. The Agent is asking for the balance to be paid by Sept. 20th. This seems a bit early, I thought it was about 8 weeks before. Any thoughts?

I am a UK Travel Agent so will give you the answer.

1) The TA will need to get your money in, cleared and to the Tour Operator by 56 days, consequently they will ask for your money 3-4 weeks earlier. If they actually ask you on 56 days and you don't pay, then they have a financial exposure to HAL over and above the deposit that they have taken in from you

2) Check the TA Ts and Cs as per your invoice that will tell you how far before hand you need to pay your balance. If it says 12 weeks, then you are bound by them and have to pay, if the Ts and Cs say anything other than that, then those are the conditions that you need to adhere to, and you should remind your TA of that fact.

3) In your specific context I would say it was reasonable to pay your balance 11th October at the very very earliest.

Thankyou. I am just a little worried about the money "hanging around" before it is passed on to HAL. The agent in the USA passed it on immediately. Suppose my credit card will cover the risk though but I feel uneasy about it:eek:

Archived