I think my DH is going to kill me!!!

travlnblueberries

I loved snorkeling so much on our last cruise that I went out

and spent well over $500.00 on snorkeling equipment for us to

use on our upcoming cruise in a few weeks.

Here's the problem. Don't ask me why, but I was watching the

Discovery Channel this weekend and it was all about how sharks

attack. And the REALLY scary part is that they attack in very

shallow water. Now I don't want to go snorkeling. I'm not sure

if anyone can say anything to calm my fears now. What am I

going to do???

The obvious solution to me is to go scuba diving. That way you won't be in the shallow water nor will you be on the surface where nearly all shark attacks occur. Besides, you'll enjoy it more than merely snorkeling.

Do a Discover Scuba dive on this cruise to see how much you'd enjoy scuba diving, then after the cruise, you'll want to go home and get certified.

While I agree that scuba is probably safer from that aspect(the actually encountering sharks, in the ocean unprovoked shark attacks on divers - 46% snorkelers, 30% scuba divers), I think you just need to stop watching shark week reruns. I can totally sympathize with you because I have a vivid imagination and a healthy fear of sharks. When you think about why sharks attack people and how many of those people were snorkeling at the time it is a pretty slim chance. I think it is rare to see a dangerous shark snorkeling and even more rare for them to intentionally interact with you.

Where are you going to snorkel? :confused: This makes a difference I think. Usually attacks will be non exist or very low for most areas in the Caribbean. More exotic locales are a different story. Also if you are going with a group to snorkel - they probably won't take you to shark infested waters and once they hear you they will probably take off . If you snorkel with your hubby from shore you are also probably okay as long as you go to populated areas and stay inside the reef line.

With your new well fitting gear you will also have a great advantage because you will have greater visibility and not have to come up as much to fix your mask, snorkel, etc. Although I recommend the Discover Scuba as well - don't give up on snorkeling - I don't think shark attacks are that common on snorkelers - especially in the Caribbean. Once you get going in the water - your fears will subside for sure.:)

Now that you can't get the tv shows out of your head what you need to do is learn more about sharks. Also research the areas you are going to- what types of sharks can be found in the area? There can be times of the year or even times of day when certain sharks are more active, and some activities (such as spearfishing) can carry more risk. If you do learn to scuba, think about going on a shark dive- seeing them up close might completely change your fear into fascination!

I'm actually terrified of the water. I know I will never scuba dive in my life. This cruise we are sailing to maarten, thomas, princess cays, and grand turk. We have excursions already booked,which involved snorkeling, and in feb. we are sailing to croix, antigua, kitts, thomas, and one more that I can't think of right now. For the one in feb. we were just going to do our own thing and snorkel at the beaches. I'm just so terrified now, I could cry. I wish I never saw those shows.

First, I am so jealous - you guys are going to some pretty awesome places that I really want to go to eventually.

Second, Roatanfans is totally right - I actually erased something similar from my previous post. You can map attacks and find things out about shark behavior this actually helps you to rationalize your fears.

Finally, most off beach snorkeling is pretty shallow and for the same reason that you are leery of scraping on coral - so are sharks. I think it might be a good idea to put a post on this board - how many of you have seen sharks while snorkeling and where were you. The response will probably help you realize the rarity of it for snorkelers. I would call myself an intermediate snorkeler - meaning I have snorkeled quite a bit but only in different locales in the Caribbean, so no where exotic yet. I spent a week in Akumal snorkeling (which was so fantastic), a week this year in Antigua snorkeling (not the best snorkeling ever - but in a week I found some pretty cool spots, saw LOTs of squid almost every day and a turtle) and on a cruise we snorkeled at Xel-Ha, Costa Maya, and Roatan(fantastic!). I have yet to see even a nurse shark. In fact turtles, giant grouper, and Barracuda (which are TOTALLY harmless) were the biggest thing I have seen. And of course I have seen some pretty cool eels.

Most happening snorkeling spots scare off the big stuff anyway.

Hang in there - it will be worth it and honestly once you start seeing everything you will relax and become too distracted with the sights to be worried.

I've never even seen a shark while snorkling, and I've got over 100 dives in the caribbean and I can count shark sightings on one hand (all nurse sharks- at least their tails as they hide in the rocks on the bottom), and one angel shark in Monterey California. My husband and I both are underwater photographers and would love to see sharks (my husband loves them- he wants to do a great white dive). He has done the shark dive on Roatan (theres a spot about 2 miles out where they feed the reef sharks everyday so they show up for a few minutes). Other than that- no sharks. We have seen dolphins, pilot whales, eagle rays, moray eels, barracuda etc- still looking for a whale shark!

Have you ever heard the expression "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"? Shark week has gotten better with their message, but still, shark attacks are always played up because thats what captures the imagination- it wouldn't be very popular if they told you how rare shark bites really are, or that humans simply aren't on the menu (apparently we don't taste so good to sharks), or that most bites occur because of mistaken identity (don't swim with sealions, don't thrash around panicky like a wounded animal) or provocation (spearfishing, or my favorite stupid thing to hear about- grabbing a nurse shark by the tail to pull it out of the rocks). Also, out of the many species of shark, very few are known to have attacked humans, and even fewer still are deadly. They tend to stay away from us- especially large groups of people like on a snorkle excursion. They are fascinating creatures, certainly worthy of our respect, but no where near as dangerous to us as we are to them!

I think it might be a good idea to put a post on this board - how many of you have seen sharks while snorkeling and where were you.

Great idea!!! I'm posting it.

Thank you to all who answered. I'm going to start searching the net to see more about shark attacks. I was asking DH if I could pack a knife in my check in luggage. On the snorkeling vest I got, it has pockets where I figured I could keep the knife IF I GET the COURAGE to snorkel again.:confused:

Great idea!!! I'm posting it.

Thank you to all who answered. I'm going to start searching the net to see more about shark attacks. I was asking DH if I could pack a knife in my check in luggage. On the snorkeling vest I got, it has pockets where I figured I could keep the knife IF I GET the COURAGE to snorkel again.:confused:

I know this might not help..but sometimes it helps to be reminded that you are far more likely to be in a car wreck on the way to the cruise than to be attacked by a shark while you are snorkeling. Yet everyday we get into our car and head out into that great big traffic nightmare with barely even a second thought.

Not that I want to give you more to worry about...just to put things into perspective.

Lari

From the Florida Museum of Natural History:

Annual Risk Of Death During One's Lifetime

Heart disease 1 in 5

Cancer 1 in 7

Flu 1 in 63

Car accidents 1 in 84

Suicide 1 in 119

Drowning 1 in 1,134

Lightning 1 in 79,746

Shark attack 1 in 3,748,067

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Roger

"Jaws" came out when I was a young and impressionable 13 year old.

For years I would have panic attacks even in fresh water. :rolleyes:

As an adult snorkeler and then scuba diver, I will tell you that most sharks are more afraid of you than you are of them. Most of my sightings were mere glimpses of reef sharks, etc. as they were hauling fin in the opposite direction.

In 2002, I went on a shark dive in Fiji, on a triple-dog dare by my largely all male dive group. Lots of bull sharks, and I lived to tell. :D

Wise advice given me by a divemaster: you don't have to swim faster than the shark.

Just faster than your dive buddy. ;)

Falling Coconuts Kill More People Than Shark Attacks

"Falling coconuts kill 150 people worldwide each year, 15 times the number of fatalities attributable to sharks," said George Burgess, Director of the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File and a noted shark researcher.

"The reality is that, on the list of potential dangers encountered in aquatic recreation, sharks are right at the bottom of the list," said Burgess who was one of three scientists participating Tuesday in a National Sea Grant College Program and NOAA Fisheries sponsored press briefing on sharks and the risks of shark attacks at the National Press Club

Falling Coconuts Kill More People Than Shark Attacks

"Falling coconuts kill 150 people worldwide each year, 15 times the number of fatalities attributable to sharks," said George Burgess, Director of the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File and a noted shark researcher.

"The reality is that, on the list of potential dangers encountered in aquatic recreation, sharks are right at the bottom of the list," said Burgess who was one of three scientists participating Tuesday in a National Sea Grant College Program and NOAA Fisheries sponsored press briefing on sharks and the risks of shark attacks at the National Press Club

I know I would rather die from being hit over the head with a coconut, then being eaten alive!

Archived