Thomson Calypso - August 2009

We went on a cruise round the Greek Islands on Calypson departing 24 August 2009. The ship itself is very small and quite old but has everything you need. Cabins are an adequate size, although there isn't anywhere to hang long dresses and trousers as the wardrobe is only half-height with drawers at the bottom. The staff were friendly and helpful, although we found some of them over-familiar. Breakfast in the buffet was fine, lunch was acceptable although not exciting, but the standard of food and service in the Orchidee restaurant for dinner was terrible. Plates were cleared the second we stopped eating. In some cases, the waiter tried to clear plates that were still being eaten from. We were on a table for 8, and the courses arrived haphazardly, so some of us were left looking at a plate of soup which was tepid at best on arrival, rapidly cooling as we waited for the others on the table to be served. The quality of the food was the worst I have ever had on any of my 20+ cruises. As good food is a major part of the holiday for us, we were very disappointed. Some nights I was in serious difficulty finding anything I even fancied trying. Food was sometimes served in bizarre combinations - I think their best effort was lasagne and sprouts! That said, the wine waiter was great and our cabin stewardess was wonderful. Cabin was always immaculate and she left us little towel animals etc. I cruised with Thomson once before on the old Emerald, but decided to give them another chance. Calypso wasn't cheap, wasn't worth the money and I certainly won't be using them again. I have had much better cruises for far less money. The ports of call were fine and the flights on time (although we were sharing the plane with a screaming baby on the way out, but I suppose Thomson can't be blamed for that). The transfers at the airport were very efficient.

Archived