Truth about Rum Point Beach--Please

Oompaland

Mama, Thanks again!

Is everything working out on the Glory with the reverse of the route? I was in panic mode when I found out it may have been my cruise affected. I feel bad for all on your cruise that had made reservations and now have to remake with the hope that they can accommodate you.

I was more PO'd than panicked. They did this to us last year as well, that one was MAJOR compared to this (changed home port from Pt. Canaveral to Miami, then change half of the ports completely). Both times, atleast half of our group was never even notified of the changes. Luckily this time, all the private vendors have been great about just switching us...Nativeways even changed the time completely of the RRR tour for us.

Do you know what the difference between Cayman and American money is? I thought it was $1 US = $0.80 Cayman.

That is the rate. The Cayman dollar is stronger than the US dollar. The rate of exchange is fixed. As the US dollar has taken a tumble on the world foreign exchange market, the Cayman dollar has likewise fallen in value.

US$1=CI$0.80 or CI$1=US$1.25

This is the rate used if you have US$ and want to pay for something priced in CI$ or exchange for CI$ cash.

There are other rates if you have CI$ and want to buy US$, but that is another lesson for another day. Suffice it to say that you always lose out on foreign exchange.

As to the Rum Point menu, my fovorites are the Jerk Pork sandwich with jerk mayo or the Boboli chicken sandwich. Both are seriously yummy!

The jerk pork plate includes teh same delicious pork that is used for the sandwich. The rice and beans and corn cob and a nice option for sides instead of the fries which come with the sandwich.

We are heading back to GC (trip number 5) and I have been to Seven Mile Beach and its just too commercial and crowded for me. I always rent a car and head toward Rum Point.

The nice thing of renting the car is that you can stop along the way and see so many different beaches and take your time. Cars are not expensive to rent for the day.

Did someone say that a car rental company will pick you up at the pier. I have always had to go over to the Purple Iguana and then head to the airport to get the car, having someone at the pier would be very nice :)

I can not remember the exact price for the jet-skis but I think it was about 90.00 for an hour.

I was just on the Nativeway RRR tour this past week. The jetski's were $50 USD for 30mins. If anyone has any questions let me know. :)

Got my confirmation with Nativeway ....cannot wait - this is serious torture! Surprisingly they did not require any deposit - was that the case for you also?

How long did you actually get to enjoy the beach ? On the beach was Caybeer (sp?) available? What beverages did they provide? After drop off were you able to shop before getting back on board?

Got my confirmation with Nativeway ....cannot wait - this is serious torture! Surprisingly they did not require any deposit - was that the case for you also?

How long did you actually get to enjoy the beach ? On the beach was Caybeer (sp?) available? What beverages did they provide? After drop off were you able to shop before getting back on board?

That's correct, they do not take deposits. The ship I was on was the only ship in port, so things may be different if there's multiple ships...

We were on the 2nd tender, once on the pier met the nativeway person and were told come back at 945am(ship) 845am(GC) or about 2 hours later. After some shopping, went back during that time that time. Guide brought us over to the bus and drove us to their pier. We then got on the boat with other folks who were doing the Rays and Reef but NOT Rum pointe. They had punch and water on the boat. Did the rays and the reef, both were incredibles! Then a second boat came over and took everyone who was not going to rum pointe. Went off to rum pointe. Crew gave us a menu and called in our order. Upon arriving to the beach, our food was ready for us. Only drinks that were included were tea and water although they had a pay bar that seemed to have a decent selections of beers and liquor tha tyou obviously have to pay for. If you use US cash, you do not get US cash change, but GC dollars. Food was very good, beach was breath taking! We got 90mins at the beach. We than headed back, they allowed us to ride on the bow. We went by some white rock canal walls where we saw the blue iguanas basking, they slowed way down so we could take pictures. We had about an hour left when we returned to the pier. A veteran cruiser commented that we were very lucky that there's no traffic due to us being the only ship. Says it's usually a lot worse.

The crew was great, fun and friendly. I was under the impression they were flexible to if you wanted more time in the reef and less at the beach and vice versa, they'd do it. Overall recommend, don't think it could be beat for the money. If was on the fence to spending more and doing a wave runner tour but it's about double the cost, doesn't go to the same places and is a lot shorter tour timewise. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Oompaland.. We are on the Valor with you. I am interested to read about the discrepancy between Carnival and Port Authority. Has there been a resolution?

BRLB! Join our roll call! We are planning a meet and greet on the first sea day.

Yes, it has been resolved. Our route has stayed the same--no changes. Carnival Glory, which had the same itinerary as us, reversed its route. Those pax needed to redo all their excursions. We were the lucky ones.

Archived