Do Not Miss while onboard!

Almost Packed

On my first cruise, I was a bit overwhelmed by so many choices. I remember getting back home talking about my cruise to a friend and she asked me about looking up at the stars late at night from the deck.

After I thought about that for a moment, I realized, I did not one time go to the Lido deck and check out the stars, the moon, the ship lit up at night etc. How did I miss that? I also realized I missed every single sunrise. Even though I had a balcony to view the stars and the sunrises from...I don't know how I missed doing something that I really was looking forward to doing.

Also, on my first cruise, I never put one toe in a hot tub or pool. I finally did on my second cruise-the hot tub anyways.

I promise you next cruise, I will watch a show, take pics of sunrise/sunsets, take more pics of my cabin to share on CC, and ride on that slide!

What's something that you missed (maybe your first cruise or thereafter) that you wish you would have really made sure you "DID NOT MISS".

Ya know, don't miss _______________!

From one missed picture, I now pack my camera with me at all times. I have my morning coffee before sunrise on the fantail to watch the sun come up. I am on deck at sunset. All because of that once of a lifetime missed camera shot. It happened in St. Thomas. There had been a brief afternoon rain shower. The sun broke through. I have seen many rainbows before but nothing like this. The end of the rainbow was directly behind our ship. Looked close enough to touch. Not only did it reach the water but you could see it all the way down to the sandy bottom. Only lasted about two minutes. Then too, the picture that was taken straight down the side of the ship of two different types of sharks and a seagull with wings spread, all going for the same piece of bread thrown in the water. Two fish and one bird in the same shot. Makes you look twice to absorb it. Its the small unexpected things that I have missed way too many times, and, the ones I capture are memories forever. Harry :cool:

Hello,

As your ship sails leaves your port of departure, go up to the front of the ship and stand in the wind as the ship heads out into the open sea. In San Diego, for example this is where the ship passes the lighthouse and out into the Pacific. In Fort Lauderdale it is when you see the last condo building and head out into the Atlantic Ocean.

yes, i have learned that i love to have my camera with me...you never know what you might miss....the other day, my ds & i were flying to San Antonio to visit my mom....it was cloudy out and the clouds were beautiful little rows of tiny puffy cotton balls. So i decided to pull out my camera and take some pics...and in a split second, a rainbow apeared...wait...it gets better. the rainbow was reflected onto the clouds, and it was circular, and the shadow of the airplane was small, and inside the circled rainbow....pretty interesting huh? i work for the airlines so of course anytime i can take a cool pic of our lovely Boeing 737's I try to take it....this was the coolest pic I have taken...I went to take another pic of it, and in that split second, it was gone. Talk about timing!

so yep, having my camera around is a good thing.

Hello,

As your ship sails leaves your port of departure, go up to the front of the ship and stand in the wind as the ship heads out into the open sea. In San Diego, for example this is where the ship passes the lighthouse and out into the Pacific. In Fort Lauderdale it is when you see the last condo building and head out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Fred,

We have gone to the front of the ship, but never while leaving port. we have either been on the lido aft part or on our balcony. however, I may try that one..(not this coming up cruise, we have an aft wrap, so i'll want the view from the rear) it's our first aft...we'll see how it goes.

I wish we had gone to the afternoon teas, especially the high tea.

I also wish we had gone to happy hour, 2/1 drinks.

Wish we went to the piano bar, looked like a fun place, but it was crowded every night.

I wish I could have eaten more!:D

Request a dinner table near a window.

Eat breakfast or lunch in the dining room at least once.

Go out on the very top front of the ship late at night. Incredibly windy, yet peaceful.

Make sure you check out all the dining options in the daily activity list. Sometimes there are restaurants hidden that you would never knew existed.

If you like to work out, which many people may not during a cruise, the gyms are in great locations... usually at the very front of the ship with a beautiful view.

I wish we had gone to the afternoon teas, especially the high tea.

I also wish we had gone to happy hour, 2/1 drinks.

Wish we went to the piano bar, looked like a fun place, but it was crowded every night.

I wish I could have eaten more!:D

And definitely go to the piano bar! Try to check out all of the activities, and if you don't like them, then leave, but most are a lot of fun!

I can't remember an activity we missed that I regretted but I do remember doing something different on the second cruise that I wished I'd done on the first and that was study the deck plan and know where things were and how to get to them before we ever got on the ship. I remember that first cruise in 1995 easily getting lost on what felt like a big ship at the time:eek::D We laughed about it alot as we kept having to turn around and sometimes even go up or down a deck to find our way to what we wanted. It was the third or fourth day before we felt like we knew our way around. On the second cruise we felt at home right away and only turned around a few times and lost count by the first two hours how many people we gave directions to.:) We got to enjoy some of the out of the way places before hardly anyone else found them.;)

I can't remember an activity we missed that I regretted but I do remember doing something different on the second cruise that I wished I'd done on the first and that was study the deck plan and know where things were and how to get to them before we ever got on the ship. I remember that first cruise in 1995 easily getting lost on what felt like a big ship at the time:eek::D We laughed about it alot as we kept having to turn around and sometimes even go up or down a deck to find our way to what we wanted. It was the third or fourth day before we felt like we knew our way around. On the second cruise we felt at home right away and only turned around a few times and lost count by the first two hours how many people we gave directions to.:) We got to enjoy some of the out of the way places before hardly anyone else found them.;)

grandma,

I can't find my way out of a paper bag...I have been on the Conquest for a week, then on the Liberty (sister ship) for a week....and still can't get it right so kudos to you for figuring it out...if it were not for my dh, i would probably still be circling the floors looking for the way off...i got turned around so easily... lol...thankfully for the most part (for me), we do most things together. :)

grandma,

I can't find my way out of a paper bag...I have been on the Conquest for a week, then on the Liberty (sister ship) for a week....and still can't get it right so kudos to you for figuring it out...if it were not for my dh, i would probably still be circling the floors looking for the way off...i got turned around so easily... lol...thankfully for the most part (for me), we do most things together. :)

My DH would appreciate what you said since I always tell him to look over the deck plans while we're spending quality:D time in the airports and it helps him but there's still always that one place on the ship that he never manages to be able to find no matter how many times we go there or pass by it and of coarse we always manage to have some "lively discussions":eek::) every time we have to find it.

First time my DD saw my screen name she had similiar thoughts to yours about the name:D I picked it since I "thought" four was the end- just recently found out it will be changing to 5 grandchildren so now I have a pleasant problem.:)

My DH would appreciate what you said since I always tell him to look over the deck plans while we're spending quality:D time in the airports and it helps him but there's still always that one place on the ship that he never manages to be able to find no matter how many times we go there or pass by it and of coarse we always manage to have some "lively discussions":eek::) every time we have to find it.

First time my DD saw my screen name she had similiar thoughts to yours about the name:D I picked it since I "thought" four was the end- just recently found out it will be changing to 5 grandchildren so now I have a pleasant problem.:)

congratulations!!!!

I'm just mom of 3 for now...i hope i have a lonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg way to go before i'm Grandmom of ? lol...:eek:

It's funny how intent we are on packing lists and such, maybe everyone should make a list of things they don't want to forget to enjoy while on board! Tape the list to a wall in your cabin and cross them off as you do them.

that's a good idea too....i do have a packing list...and i check off each item...so why not have a "to do" list too. although, that sometimes takes away from the carefree style of cruising....but leads to forgetting and missing things too especially if it's something not listed on a caper.

Looking at the stars, would not of thought that and yet I look at them every night at my home. Sunsets thought of that and going to top of ship to see how it looks at night great idea!

Now I did pack my hat and gloves as I was told it is cold where I am going, and who needs a cold or flu right?:rolleyes:

I'm going on that slide! Getting myself a new knee in October, so I will be able to climb stairs next time! Woo-Hoo, can't wait....

Suffering from "don't have a cruise booked, this is terrible, I can't stand it anymore"-itis, soon to be cured (seeing my TA on Monday... Dream, Aug 2010, here we come!)

I'm going on that slide! Getting myself a new knee in October, so I will be able to climb stairs next time! Woo-Hoo, can't wait....

Suffering from "don't have a cruise booked, this is terrible, I can't stand it anymore"-itis, soon to be cured (seeing my TA on Monday... Dream, Aug 2010, here we come!)

i too will go on that slide!!!! lol...

i hope your new knee is a great fit for ya and speedy recovery! enjoy the slide!

It's funny how intent we are on packing lists and such, maybe everyone should make a list of things they don't want to forget to enjoy while on board! Tape the list to a wall in your cabin and cross them off as you do them.

I second this one! This will be my fourth cruise coming up and my DS third cruise. We both are going to come up with a list tonight @ dinner table. I know he will really like this. We are rooming with another mom/son team and they will probably join in on this too! It is their first 7 day cruise. The other team is a single mom and her 3 kids and this is their first cruise ever. They really don't know too much about what they will miss yet! I can't wait for them to plan their second, third, fourth...once you set sail, you are addicted to cruising!!!

There is usually one deck on each ship for "joggers" and those that like to walk. We discovered this on our 3rd day....neither of us jog, but the deck is generally almost vacant, and a casual stroll completely around the ship as the sun is setting is great!

i think i may make a list of things i'd like to do....i generally only follow my packing list so i don't forget something.

as long as it's not a must do...as opposed to a reminder list of things i'd like to do while cruising, not necessarily to be done on this particular cruise, i can handle that list lol.

i like to nap and sleep in too much. when i have too much to do, i miss out on my "resting" lol

Archived