Time difference on Cayman

gypsyrose

I just looked at the Royal Palms webcam and it showed 7am there and 9 am here in NC. Our ship is schedueled to be there 7-4. Does that mean it will really be like 5 am there or will the ship tell us to change our clocks? I remember last year getting off early and no shops were open for a long time. Not planning anything except going to the beach and then to the Harley store on the way back to the ship. 5 am seems awful early to hit a beach. Thanks for any help

Someone's clock is off.

Cayman does not observed daylight savings time and remains on Eastern Standard Time for the entire year.

During the winter months, Cayman is on the same time as North Carolina. When it is 9am in Cayman it is also 9am in North Carolina.

During the summer months, Cayman is one hour behind North Carolina. When it is 9am in Cayman it is 10am in North Carolina.

Here is what Stingray Sailing wrote to me when I made a reservation for February:

Ship time vs Cayman local time can be a bit tricky; some ships change time with each port; some do not. It is our experience that if your cruise ship stays on Florida time, then your ship time will be the same as Grand Cayman. If your ship stays on Texas time then your ship time should one hour behind Cayman Time. The Cayman Islands and Florida are on the same time and Texas is an hour behind Cayman time from November 01, 2009 until March 14, 2010. If you have any concerns about what time zone your ship will be on when it arrives in Cayman please contact your cruise line directly as, unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with that information.

----------------------------

Hope this helps!

Barb

I just looked up a time zone converter and it stated Cayman was an hour behind Florida time. Hmmmm

That is because Grand Cayman doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time. Florida is still on DST right now...so Florida is one hour ahead of GC. It is all confusing.....especially if you cruise the week that DST stops or starts :eek:

Here is what Stingray Sailing wrote to me when I made a reservation for February:

Ship time vs Cayman local time can be a bit tricky; some ships change time with each port; some do not. It is our experience that if your cruise ship stays on Florida time, then your ship time will be the same as Grand Cayman. If your ship stays on Texas time then your ship time should one hour behind Cayman Time. The Cayman Islands and Florida are on the same time and Texas is an hour behind Cayman time from November 01, 2009 until March 14, 2010. If you have any concerns about what time zone your ship will be on when it arrives in Cayman please contact your cruise line directly as, unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with that information.

----------------------------

Hope this helps!

Barb

Hey Barb we are booking in Feb. with Stingray sailings as well. When are you there? Are you concerned about having enough time to dock, tender and then meet up by 9? I really want to book with them but am nervous about the time frame. Kris

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my thinking on this issue. When we on the East Coast 'Fall back" an hour we will be on the same time as Grand Cayman. When we "Spring forward" Grand Cayman stays behind because they stay on Eastern Standard Time all Year. When we ""Spring forward" we move to Daylight Saving Time. On Sunday Nov. 1 at 2:00 am we will 'Fall back,." and be on the same time as Grand Cayman. Hope this helps.

Hey Barb we are booking in Feb. with Stingray sailings as well. When are you there? Are you concerned about having enough time to dock, tender and then meet up by 9? I really want to book with them but am nervous about the time frame. Kris

Because of what you talked about, we are going to book the excursion with the ship to stingray city, snorkeling, and rum point beach. That way, we won't have to worry about the time!

Good luck!

Archived