Beer?

MamaParrotHead

My dad and my DH are enjoy trying new beers, and Roatan is the last port on my list I'm making for them to try some good local/national beers. Any suggestions?

Not like there is a bunch to try, Port Royal, Salva Vida, ind one or two other newer to th Island. None are made on Roatan

The two local brews are Salva Vida and Port Royal. They are products of the Cerveceria de Hondurena, a brewery on the mainland. The brewery was founded by a German ex-pat; both brews very much have a German/Euro taste. To me, Port Royal tastes quite a bit like Heineken. Pretty good clean, light tasting pilsner. I prefer Salva Vida; it has a bit heavier taste - not really sure what I'd compare it to.

Both are decent, neither are spectacular - but I love your philosophy of drinking the local beer when visiting somewhere. That's what I've always tried to do, too.

Port Royal and Salve Vida are the big Honduran beers, sometimes you can find Imperial but it's not as good. There is a beer made on Roatan- the brewery is near Oakridge. I think the beer is called Bahia and they serve it in many of the bars by the glass- also good.

Archived