Tipping... Necessary?

SJChaput

I don't mean TIPPING in general I mean tipping on top of the pre-paid gratuity.

My wife and I paid $140 for the week and only went to the sit down dinner three times. But we still tipped the dinner staff for the week... Then there are two people in the cabin both tipping the steward every single day automatically.

How much of the pre-paid gratuity goes to the steward? If it is half then we are already tipping $10 a day to him combined... I can't see tipping more.

If I had more money and wasn't broke sure... But I don't have all this money to be throwing around... Am I being unreasonable?

There have been a few times where we have tipped extra, but most of the time we just tip the standard amount.:)

I don't mean TIPPING in general I mean tipping on top of the pre-paid gratuity.

My wife and I paid $140 for the week and only went to the sit down dinner three times. But we still tipped the dinner staff for the week... Then there are two people in the cabin both tipping the steward every single day automatically.

How much of the pre-paid gratuity goes to the steward? If it is half then we are already tipping $10 a day to him combined... I can't see tipping more.

If I had more money and wasn't broke sure... But I don't have all this money to be throwing around... Am I being unreasonable?

If you leave the auto gratuities on then you have nothing to be concerned about. There is no reason to leave any other gratuities than that, anything more is appreciated, but not needed, required or expected.

I tip extra for room service to the server that delivers the food. Also if I need extra service(like if you have a child still in diapers)I most certainly would tip extra. If your service is exceptional then tip as you choose. I just hate to see people refuse to pay the basic tips, the $10 per day per person. And I have been in line at the pursars desk while people were removing tip charges from their sign and sail card. I really wish the tips were just part of the basic fare.

Archived