Fundy Trail: What is it?

swdke

The Fundy Trail is a 7 mile long scenic road that goes along the edge of the Bay of Fundy. From it you can access hiking trails, scenic vistas, etc. There is a toll involved but it is worth a visit. You access it at St. Martin's. Check out the website, it has a good video as well as a lot of information.

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

The Fundy Trail is a 7 mile long scenic road that goes along the edge of the Bay of Fundy. From it you can access hiking trails, scenic vistas, etc. There is a toll involved but it is worth a visit. You access it at St. Martin's. Check out the website, it has a good video as well as a lot of information.

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

Thank you for the info. What's the drive time between St. John and St. Martins, and drive time from St. Martins to The Fundy Trail?

It takes 45 minutes to get to St. Martins from Saint John. I know it doesn't look that far on the map but most of the way is on a two lane twisty road with lower speed limits.

It has been a few years since I have done the Fundy Trail but I remember it being about 10 minutes from St. Martins. There are parking areas along the road where you can access the walking trails and in some cases get down onto the beach area.

It takes 45 minutes to get to St. Martins from Saint John. I know it doesn't look that far on the map but most of the way is on a two lane twisty road with lower speed limits.

quote]

Thanks for the great tips! I have a question. We were planning to go to St. Martin but now I am not sure because of the drive there. My husband gets "car sick" on twisty roads. We visited TN last year and driving up and down the hills and the twisty roads was too much for him. Can you tell me a bit more about the drive there? Is it hilly? How twisty is it? Is it scenic? Is it worth the drive?

Just a note for your information. The Fundy Trail is not always open to drive it. This I got right off their site.

October (after Thanksgiving) to May (before Victoria Day weekend). During this time, access to the park is available through our off-season gate located just outside the main entrance gate for walking, hiking and biking only.

Closed to vehicle traffic during this off-season.

quote]

Thanks for the great tips! I have a question. We were planning to go to St. Martin but now I am not sure because of the drive there. My husband gets "car sick" on twisty roads. We visited TN last year and driving up and down the hills and the twisty roads was too much for him. Can you tell me a bit more about the drive there? Is it hilly? How twisty is it? Is it scenic? Is it worth the drive?

By "twisty" I meant that it is not a straight drive --but no, it is not a drive that would disturb a person's equalibrium. There are some slight inclines but not hilly at all. St. Martins is a delightfully quaint place and walking out to the sea caves at low tide is always fun. Wear sneakers---no sandals. At low tide the fishing boats in the harbour bottom out and there are two covered bridges next to the harbour area. You can park at the restaurant by the sea caves and walk all over the area from there. If you want to visit the lighthouse, just ask a local how to get there---about 5 minutes from the cave area.

Just a note for your information. The Fundy Trail is not always open to drive it. This I got right off their site.

October (after Thanksgiving) to May (before Victoria Day weekend). During this time, access to the park is available through our off-season gate located just outside the main entrance gate for walking, hiking and biking only.

Closed to vehicle traffic during this off-season.

For our US friends' information, Canadian Thanksgiving this year is Monday, October 12th.

We wanted to drive the Fundy Trail but since we won't be there until after Oct. 12th it doesn't look like it will work out for us this time. Guess that's a good reason to come back!:D

We opted for renting a car and driving to St. Martins and then spending some time in town to view the sights.

Archived