Back from the Regatta ...

EdNottingham

Note: This may be a duplicate, but when I posted it earlier, it said it was a duplicate, but no message appeared so trying again.

Just got back from our fabulous 12 day cruise on the Regatta. Got a lot of catch-up to do, but wanted to offer a very quick review for those interested. It'll be a while before I check back here or even have a chance to check email, but if you have questions, write me: nottingham@bellsouth.net.

First, we all know, it is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so (Hamlet) and "the world exists between our ears" (Art Linkletter), for us, the cruise was wonderful. We were in PH2 cabin 8056. Quiet, some motion at night, spacious, but not as big as we remember our 8043 cabin on the R3 being, but that was 2001 so who remembers that far back. Manuel was our butler and Imelda took care of the cabin. Each of them and all staff were attentive, pleasant, and many (Clara from Romania for example) knew our names within 24 hours.

Food: OUTSTANDING! Of our 27 cruises, the very best ever! Presentation was wonderful, always hot, finest cuts of beef I've had - even at Ruth Chris's! Drinks were expensive, but they seemed to not upset themselves if we brought some spirits back with us from the ports. There are daily specials ($3.95) as well as happy hour specials. I was surprised at the welcome aboard party and past passenger (they included those of us from REN) party you could not order drinks but had to have the wine, champagne, etc. being offered. Nice but was always able to order a martini at other such gatherings. No biggy in my opinion.

Internet: Expensive ($0.95 per minute or .80 for 100 minutes) and slow, BUT no setup fee. Able to upload photos from my CF card and burn a CD the last day for $15, but I did all the work. THe photo shop will do it for $11.99 I think so check around before doing the work yourself.

Tranquility beds: Not! No difference perceived from other beds, and in fact, a little less comfortable than some on the Dream.

Tours: Again, pricey but well organized except our tour for St Barths that was cancelled after we arrived on shore after being tendered. Wasted the morning. Apparently the captain was concerned about some difficulty some of the passengers were having boarding the tenders and halted the tender service. Bettter safe than sorry, and one disappointment just makes us stronger :-)

We were miffed (but this won't impact anybody else) that after we decided to go to bed on New Year's eve, that at midnight, the alarm bell sounded for 30 seconds. Scared the heck out of me, and I'm glad that my 53 year old heart works OK. When I asked, an officer said it was "tradition" which seems strange considering the line isn't old enough to have many traditions! At least have warned us by writing something in the daily "Currents" or making an announcement or something.

Disembarkation was a bit slow and some folks missed there flights from MIA. Again, there was 8 ships in port and any number of things could have slowed the process.

As noted in other posts, there's not much entertainment and it's late - 9:45 or 10:00 p.m. Dinner is served at 6:30 p.m. in all the dining rooms, and we'd prefer earlier since we skip shows and watch movies in the room or every episode of CSI Miami, CSI, Carolyn in the City, etc. :-) But, since we rarely attend shows these days, we didn't care they were late.

Overall, two thumbs up! Food is amazing! Nice staff, etc., etc.

Gotta run, but I'll check back later this week and see if there are questions, or write me at my email address above, BUT expect a delay. I've got a lot of catching up to do at work.

Happy 2005.

Ed

Great review & thanks. My wife & I will be sailing on the Regattta 01/18/05 out of LA. Booked a Vista Suite (7004), which should be ok. Just looking for some time away from all this awful snow we have here in Reno, NV. Really surprised that substitutions were not allowed during the cocktail parties. Don't really care about tours since my wife doesn't do well ashore, nor do we care about the entertainment since we have Reno and LV.

Thanks again for a great review.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. Can you recommend any of the excursions specifically, Ed.

Leonid, I'm on the 2/8 Oceanna cruise and I'd love to know what you thought when you get back. I hope it was fabulous.

Is there a CD and/or DVD in the cabin? How about an iron (I can't live without one!)

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks for all the input. Can you recommend any of the excursions specifically, Ed.

Leonid, I'm on the 2/8 Oceanna cruise and I'd love to know what you thought when you get back. I hope it was fabulous.

Is there a CD and/or DVD in the cabin? How about an iron (I can't live without one!)

Awaiting your reply.

iron in the laundry room ;-)

"New Year's eve, that at midnight, the alarm bell sounded for 30 seconds. When I asked, an officer said it was "tradition" which seems strange considering the line isn't old enough to have many traditions!"

That didn't happen on the Insignia, so I doubt it is a tradition.

No CD/DVD player in PH cabins. No iron either.

Archived