scuba gear / wetsuit onboard ship?

txsmiles

Do you take your own gear, and how do you handle cleaning/storing it on the cruise ship? We will definitely be bringing our own masks/snorkels... but haven't decided about wetsuits. Seems like a pain to manage them in the room, and the dive operators all seem to offer "abundant" rental opportunities. On the other hand, we like and are familiar with our own equipment and know everything fits, etc. Any advice? Thanks, we've never tried to combine scuba with cruise before!

Do you take your own gear, and how do you handle cleaning/storing it on the cruise ship? We will definitely be bringing our own masks/snorkels... but haven't decided about wetsuits. Seems like a pain to manage them in the room, and the dive operators all seem to offer "abundant" rental opportunities. On the other hand, we like and are familiar with our own equipment and know everything fits, etc. Any advice? Thanks, we've never tried to combine scuba with cruise before!

We bring all our own gear mainly because we know how it has been cared for and maintained, also like you said we know how our gear works and fits. It is a hassle lugging the gear bags (backpack style) to and from the dive boat also cleaning the equipment (either at the dive shop or in the small shower on the ship) each day but it is worth it for us as we usually dive every port on a Caribbean cruise itinerary.

Being a good southern gentleman I normally haul the dripping wet stuff back to the ship as the DW gets her shopping in. A great deal at the end of the day for sure ;). If your only going to dive one port maybe just bring your own regs/computer.

I like your home town by the way.

I think this thread might answer all of your questions about taking gear on your cruise:

I liked your webshot page, especially your Africa pictures. Looks like a great safari.

Thanks diverearl. The safari was great and it's just one of the benefits of living in Angola, but we're really looking forward to our dive vacation in the Quirimbas Archipelago off the coast of Mozambique in November. I'll post pictures of that dive trip as well! :) The only negative will be that it will be the first time I have to dive without my own bc due to luggage weight restrictions on the small planes. We'll see how that goes!

Hello,

The only reason I get on these buffet boats, is for them to take me to the next dive locale. I bring all my own gear. Period. It is worth the hassle. You have to be nice to the cabin steward, and use extra towels... I also bring a sturdy hanger with a swiveling hook, so I can hang my gear in the shower.

Obviously leave your tanks and weights at home. Also "carry on" all the gear you can if you are flying somewhere. I do not subject my regs and computers to the "altitude" of the baggage compartment. Last flight my gear bag did NOT fit in the overhead bin, so I reluctantly let them take it to be checked, BUT KEPT my regs and computers right there with me.

The way I look at it is like this... I can always buy clothes anywhere if they lose my luggage... but buy more gear? Nah.

C

Archived