New to Fred Olsen

glf2710

We're thinking of trying Fred Olsen for the first time in October 2009 - the price is very reasonable but it is a late saver discount. I'm told that cabins are allocated on arrival with no guarantee of a double room (ie a double bed) we could be stuck with a twin room - does any one have any experience of booking the late saver discounts.

What kind of quality is the evening entertainment? We've previously done RCI (Navigator and Independence) - the travel agent says that the entertainment in on a par with RCI but it would be helpful if someone could enlighten me.

I know the ships are totally different but from what I've seen on the t'internet they look pretty good.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Entertainment in my mind is of a good standard, varied, usually a singer,comedian,magician that type of thing, and the show troupe. Usual daytime activities, darts, etc. We are usually very pleased with the variety. Daytime lectures. Although you say may only have a twin cabin some of the twins can be made into double beds. We have done a late saver in the past quite a few times as these can usually been good value for money, and never been disappointed yet. As I said in my previous post we choose the cruise first as this is more important to us rather than the type of cabin we have - we spend very little time in the cabin, but you may be different. Again, we have been very happy with Fred Olsen and have been on all his ships. All staff very friendly and helpful, and all ships very comfortable. Hope this helps a little way in making your decision.

We had a last minute with Fred Olsen last year - it was an experience albeit somewhat pleasant . We were allocated a twin outside room with port holes. No-one we spoke to unless in a suite, had a double bed. The quilts were folded on your bed so you had to make it up each evening yourself. We asked about having the beds made into a double bed and told we couldn't. You also don't have a fridge unless you are in a suite. Entertainment is a personal choice but we found it to be pretty grim. The plus points - the bar prices were very good and whilst we were one of the youngest passengers, it was extremely friendly, one of the friendliest if not THE friendliest cruise we have ever taken.

Regarding Route 66 comment - we have always been able to have a double bed on the Braemar regardless of which type of cabin we have had. On the Black Watch the way the beds were situated would have made it impossible (In the grade of cabin we had), and on the Balmoral the twin beds are fixed in some of the cabins. We are on the Balmoral next month and have a type "C" cabin which we have been advised have fixed twin beds. Which ship were you looking at? I agree with the comment that the entertainment is down to your personal preference. Suits us (but then we dont get out much ha ha), but may not suit all.

You will find that all the Fred. Olsen ships are smaller, less glitzy and much more friendly than mant of the very large vessels now coming on to the cruise market. They can visit ports that could not dream of acceprting large ships. They tend to have a fair spread of days at sea which are relaxing and enjoyable. The food is very good and the cabins are comfortable. The service is excellent and the the staff are friendly and helpful. I have been on very short cruises and long ones too (72 nights) and have found them really enjoyable and good value for money. Give them a try.

We're thinking of trying Fred Olsen for the first time in October 2009 - the price is very reasonable but it is a late saver discount. I'm told that cabins are allocated on arrival with no guarantee of a double room (ie a double bed) we could be stuck with a twin room - does any one have any experience of booking the late saver discounts.

What kind of quality is the evening entertainment? We've previously done RCI (Navigator and Independence) - the travel agent says that the entertainment in on a par with RCI but it would be helpful if someone could enlighten me.

I know the ships are totally different but from what I've seen on the t'internet they look pretty good.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Hello

I have sailed with Fred Olsen all my life. I feel they are a fantastic company to cruise with, the friendly,family atmosphere is excellent. The staff are fantastic and would do anything for you. The facilities on board arent what you would get on some of these big ships but still they fill your day.

The entertainment can be pot luck. It really depends on the company and who they have employed that cruise. You usually have a comedian,singer and variety act also including the show company which are fantastic.

Over all the company i think is a great family company and i am sure you will have a great cruise

thankyou

Hello

I have sailed with Fred Olsen all my life. I feel they are a fantastic company to cruise with, the friendly,family atmosphere is excellent. The staff are fantastic and would do anything for you. The facilities on board arent what you would get on some of these big ships but still they fill your day.

The entertainment can be pot luck. It really depends on the company and who they have employed that cruise. You usually have a comedian,singer and variety act also including the show company which are fantastic.

Over all the company i think is a great family company and i am sure you will have a great cruise

thankyou

I TOTALLY AGREE we have done 3 cruises with Fred Olsen the fantastic thing is how welcome they make you feel, always a smile from the HARD working staff ant the way they treat the older quests is awesome. There are many just lost there partner and happy to cruise on there own.

Chrissy

If you've previously cruised with RCI I fear you may be somewhat disappointed by Fred Olsen. Although I agree they are fairly friendly and the bar prices can be cheaper they just don't have the polish of RCI. They are definitely 3* cruises IMHO. I await the deluge from the FO fans!

Archived