Vantage Cruises

buffetking

We have done 3 trips with Vantage and have been very pleased with all of them. Started with the river cruise you are looking at but did it reverse starting in Amsterdam. Then we did the China/Yangtze trip and then last year the Aegean Odyssey on a 170 ft motor yacht. Vantage does not offer that any more. We are booked on the Eastern Europe and the Black Sea leaving next August. Never had a problem with Vantage. You have to look very close at all the companies, what they include and what is extra. I have 37 photos from our China trip with Vantage. http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/1Willard/

Looking at the trip we thought the Amsterdam to Budapest tour was better for us. That way we had more time in Rudesheim. Glad to answer any questions you might have.

Willard

WillardWKrieble@ij.net

Yes, Vantage seems to be the best value. I spent hours researching the itinerary and comparing their tours with our companies. Vantage tours are almost identical to AMA, but Vantage includes the air. I noticed that you are traveling in August. Do you have an idea how much the Danube water levels fluctuate? We are thinking about booking September so the river won't be too high and, therefore, impossible for the boat to get under the bridges.

We did the Amsterdam to Budapest trip in August 2005. Glad we took sweaters along as it was a little cool on the top deck. Not worried about river levels...I would go crazy if I worried about everything that could go wrong. Some companies are cheaper but to get all that Vantage includes you have to buy optional tours. Next August we will be on the lower Danube. If your trip starts in Amsterdam and stops in Rudesheim you will have a little time to be on your own. I have a friend there who has a small restaurant/b&B and winery one block off the main drag. I would give you his emai address. Fantastic wine and very nice people (they speak english). You might find his web page - Weingut Peter Prasser.

Willard

Willard-Hopefully, we book this trip this week. On the Budapest to Amsterdam tour, we only have 5 hrs. in Rudesheim. If we decided to book the Amsterdam to Budapest, we would have 10 hrs. in Rudesheim, but we would have to cruise the Main Danube Canal Locks at night. So, we opted for the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary.

We went through a lot of locks on our Amsterdam to Budapest direction. Quite a sight that should not be missed. Either way you will have a great trip. We had some free time in Regensburg and found the "Wurstkuche" sausage kitchen by the water. They have a outdoor picnic table type place to eat. Fantastic food. Sausage and beer sitting among other travelers and Germans. Fun place. At Wurzburg you will have two choices for touring. The Wurzburg residenz with a wine tasting in the "cellar" or a bus trip to Rothenburg. We have been to Rothenburg twice so we did the residnez - 4 great wines to taste. The Rothenburg stop is really nice, a walled city. Some folks complained they didn't have enough time there. You will love Passau - St. Stephen's Cathedral organ concert is excellent. I'm sure you will have a good time. Loved the wine, food and sights. Willard

Thanks for all the tips! All advice and personal opinions are most appreciated. Especially when the two offered Regensburg tours BOTH seem so good. Which did you prefer? Rothenburg or the palace? As for Passau--how come there isn't an optional Salzburg tour offered? I would have really liked to have seen Mozart's birthplace. Is there anything else to see in Passau besides St. Stephen's or is it more fun watching the ships try to get under the bridge there?

As for the Main-Danube Canal locks--are they the "BEST" locks? I've heard that there are several sets of locks with the river rising from some 18 to about 81 feet.

Passau has plenty to see. St. Stephen's and its organ concert are clearly the highlight, but you might want to try the local bus to the Prince-Bishop's castle in your free time.

I would like to try and convince you to go in the opposite direction as the time in Vienna falls at a better time on the trip. It is a difficult event to top. I promise you will see plenty of locks-big and small-whichever direction you go. The only event that takes place at night on A-B is passing the continental divide which is nothing more than a ceremonial wall. No big deal.

The only event that takes place at night on A-B is passing the continental divide which is nothing more than a ceremonial wall. No big deal.

I guess not, since we were on B-A trip and I don't even remember that! :D

This is a wonderful trip and you will have a wonderful time. Vantage was great and Passau as others have said, is a treasure. Don't miss the organ concert at St. Stephen's....your bones will literally vibrate!!!

We've taken two river cruises with Vantage and leave for a small ship cruise to French Polynesia thru Vantage tomorrow. Loved the river cruises. There is nothing like seeing many many hundreds of miles of Europe and its cities from the rivers. Did the Netherlands/Belgium at tulip time in 2007 and cruised from Amsterdam to Budapest in October 2008. The lectures and demonstrations on board were excellent, the tours were great, and the food was terrific. Really got our money's worth. ;)

Did the Netherlands/Belgium at tulip time in 2007 and cruised from Amsterdam to Budapest in October 2008.

We just missed you! We did Budapest to Amsterdam in Aug/Sept. 2008 and Egypt/Jordan in Jan/Feb 2009 and will be going on Netherlands/Belgium at tulip time, 2010. We've had such wonderful times and met so many delightful people with vantage. Can't wait to hear about the south Pacific, looks wonderful.

You guys will have a ball. We are leaving August 2010 from Bucharest to Budapest. I think you will have some free time to walk around Bamberg. Try the "wurst" and the wine. Cheers.Willard

Bamberg is wonderful.....I hope you get to taste some eis wine in Rudesheim....another wonderful experience (tastewise)

I hope you enjoy Vantage as much as Willard and I have. :)

We are booked on the Amsterdam to Budapest tour in August of 2010. If you decide to go on that one let me know. I was also glad to hear that everyone liked Vantage Cruises. This is our first river cruise.

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest in July 2010. It's also our first river cruise. I have seen lots of good reports from past Vantage travelers including some close friends so I know we'll all have a great time. Only thing left to do is pay for it!!

We are considering changing our tour to: Amsterdam to Budapest instead of the opposite (which we have booked, Budapest to Amsterdam). Willard, is it true that you've heard reports of ships not getting down the Rhine and Danube (near Passau) right NOW? We are thinking that maybe by doing the "low" Rhine River EARLIER (8/26 until 9/4/10) instead of (9/16 until 9/23/10), we would have a better chance of getting down the river? I suppose that you may say "You just never know...", however, please give me your honest opinion. I would be absolutely upset if we were unable to get down the entire Rhine River by boat and had to be bussed.

You will love traveling with Vantage. We did the Rhine and the Mosel from Amsterdam to Basel in Sept 2008 and they took very good care of us and now we are forever spoiled. Just got back last month from a transatlantic cruise on the Celebrity Constellation which was a great itinerary but when we got home my husband said he preferred the river cruises. The pace and the much-more intimate environment make all the difference. We are booked on the Danube Odyssey on June 4th with the Oberammergau pre-extension and I can hardly wait. Have also done the TransCanada Railway with them and I can't say enough good things about that trip either. The wheels are always turning as I think about which one I will do next. So enjoy your trip wherever it takes you-it will be one of the best things you have ever experienced.

BuffetKing - I didn't want to mention it before but I think you will like the Amsterdam to Budapest direction better. That way you will have a lot more time in Rudesheim (maybe bad spelling) That village is a real swinging place but it seems better after 4pm. It's a must stop. Take the cable car to the summit. As far as the river height, perhaps early Sept. We did it in August and found it ok. Even mid August it was a little cool on the top deck. But you have to spend a lot of time up top to get the best views. Regensburg is another great stop as is Bamberg. I'm sure you will have a great time. Hope you enjoy a good cold glass of Reisling wine....Willard

Yes, I think I will call tomorrow and see if we can change it. We are currently booked 9/9/10 Budapest to Amsterdam. I was thinking that, since the Rhine River FLOWS from South to North that it might be easier to get down the river in the natural flow direction. Not so sure now, seems much more important to actually HAVE water there, and with this year's flooding in June and now DRY RHINE River, I'm thinking that maybe earlier is better. Steamboats, BearCat, Willard, and any and all other experienced travelers--is this a good idea? Is it SAFER to change? Your comments are appreciated GREATLY!!!

BuffetKing - Not sure but I would prefer to go from Amsterdam to Budapest only because it gives you more time in Rudesheim. Also in Rudesheim I have a friend who owns a winery/eatery. One block of the Drasselgass (sorry about the spelling) not far from the center of the village. Look up his web site. Weingut Peter Prasser. A nice young man. Has a great wine cellar under his building, carved out of stone. His web site has a map. His wine is fantastic. If you get to stop by tell him that Willard Krieble from Florida sent you. I have been sending all of our friends there. They have a nice outside patio with grape vines covering it. Willard

We just missed you! We did Budapest to Amsterdam in Aug/Sept. 2008 and Egypt/Jordan in Jan/Feb 2009 and will be going on Netherlands/Belgium at tulip time, 2010. We've had such wonderful times and met so many delightful people with vantage. Can't wait to hear about the south Pacific, looks wonderful.

We are doing the Netherlands/Belgium tour also next year. We leave March 25, when is your cruise scheduled?

We are going on Vantage 9/7 - 9/23/10 on the River Odyssey. We will start in Budapest and end in Amsterdam. Can't wait!!!

We went August to early Sept. and it was wonderful. Eis wine should be available in Rudesheim.....if it is make sure you try it. We took the cable car up to the Neiderwald (sp?) but the people who did the musikkabinet loved it. Water levels in Rivers was fine and weather was beautiful. Make sure you buy some embroidered stuff on the walk down from the Bastion in Budapest.

Beaulily: We leave April 22 and return May something. We're going early for the Brussels extension. I can't wait. This will be our third trip with Vantage and I haven't been disappointed with anything major yet.:)

Beaulily: We leave April 22 and return May something. We're going early for the Brussels extension. I can't wait. This will be our third trip with Vantage and I haven't been disappointed with anything major yet.:)

Can't wait to hear how you liked it. What you did and which optionals you took. Hydrokitty (Judy)

Archived