Flying into mia and need to pick up supplies

boomonster

First time cruiser and taking the Destiny and was wondering where you can buy pop water etc to bring on board. We are flying into Miami that morning so we can't bring the stuff on the plane with us. So should we grab a cab and will they stop at a store for us ? Should I bring a half empty suitcase to fill? Can I do that? Also is the ship water (not bottled) ok to drink? Is there anthing else I should know that they don't tell you? Thanks in advance . Anxious soon to be cruiser.

Yes, you can just ask the cab driver to stop somewhere - they will probably know where to stop. They will wait for you (just give them a little extra tip). If you have a collapsible cooler that you can bring in your suitcase, do that, then you can put your drinks in it and the cabin steward will keep ice in it for you. From what I have read there aren't fridges on Destiny, except maybe in the suites.

We are cruising the 26th of Nov. Will there be lots of kids because of the holiday? That's the only time we can shove our kids with the grandparents. Also has anyone ever stayed in a suite? We were looking at them and wondered if they were worth the price? They offered one for $669 pp. Is that good? Should I call back and say hey I lied I'll take it. Our idea of relaxation sitting and watching the water go by with no screaming kids.

We are cruising the 26th of Nov. Will there be lots of kids because of the holiday? That's the only time we can shove our kids with the grandparents. Also has anyone ever stayed in a suite? We were looking at them and wondered if they were worth the price? They offered one for $669 pp. Is that good? Should I call back and say hey I lied I'll take it. Our idea of relaxation sitting and watching the water go by with no screaming kids.

I hope that if you DID call back it was still available. Usually it is at the time of the call that the offer is good--after that you have to take your chances.

If you are saying the price you were offered in TOTAL was $669 for a suite, that is a fabulous price depending on the length of the cruise.

You will probably have kids around, but if you're on your balcony, you probably have little to worry about there.

We cruised Destiny last year the week of Thanksgiving and the only thing was that the kids were in the pool (what else is new) and the lines in the Lido were longer. It wasn't horrible... and I'm not a kid person.

HAVE FUN. We really enjoyed our cruise on Destiny!

It's a 4 night cruise. Wanted to start out easy. Any good ideas for Cozumel exscursions? Saw a couple good ideas but not one for following the herd? Any reconmendations for the food on the ship? Any of the restaurants worth the extra money? I'm easy to please chicken or steak , Hubby a little more adventurous it hard to get a table for 2? Am I asking to many questions? Thanks in advance I really appreciate it.

Gee, where the heck did I get January from?? :o Must have been wishful thinking that there is someone else on my cruise!

If you have a balcony and enjoy watching the water, you are set! Kid free bliss. Enjoy your cruise!!

Miriam

It's a 4 night cruise. Wanted to start out easy. Any good ideas for Cozumel exscursions? Saw a couple good ideas but not one for following the herd? Any reconmendations for the food on the ship? Any of the restaurants worth the extra money? I'm easy to please chicken or steak , Hubby a little more adventurous it hard to get a table for 2? Am I asking to many questions? Thanks in advance I really appreciate it.

Ask away... :)

Last year when we went to Cozumel (on Liberty) we rented a Jeep and drove around the island. This year, we're going back to Cozumel and we're going to Paradise Beach. I hear it is really a very nice place. I've also heard rave reviews about Nachi Cocum which only takes "x" amount of people and then it's not available... but it's sort of like an all-inclusive where you get food and drink and such.

We really enjoyed the food on the ship. We ate in the dining room every night because we like that sort of thing. There isn't a specialty restaurant so no extra cost on Destiny.

When you get on the ship, go see the Maitre'd and ask if he would tell you where your table is. He will show you. You can ASK for a table for 2, but so often it is a lot of fun meeting the people sitting at your table OR people don't show up for the dining room and eat at the Lido. We have always enjoyed getting to know our tablemates. It is fun to catch up with one another at the end of the day.

Hope this is helpful!

Only warning about suite-once you go there...no going back LOL :D

We will be sailing Destiny for third time end of Oct, and will be able to answer your tables for two question upon return.

The suite advantage is early check in, much nicer amenity batheroom (tub/shower with sliding doors and jacuzzi jets), larger room, storage and larger balcony. I'll have more info upon return. This is our first "short cruise of less than a week" as a two-some without family or teen so looking forward to getaway.

Bring a couple of the supermarket "reusable" bags in your luggage.

If you really like soda "pop". get a couple of 12 packs and tape them together..and use a bungie cord on top of your 'roll on' type carry on. (depend on the your carry ons).

Wine (One bottle per person)..you bring on..soda..is fine in reasonable ammount (About 1 12 pack pp). No beer or booze (in your carry on).

There should be a "Publix" supermarket your cabbie can take you too thats near the port.

For coolers. Only coolers less than 12x12x12 are allowed on board. So nix the idea of filling up a larger one with sodas/water..etc.

But do bring a smaller soft cooler for the steward to fill with extra ice in the room..just a 6 pack size one with a leak proof insert.

Water..the bigger ships that leave from MIA have better water out of the tap than you'd get from a bottled water. Bring a couple of reusable bottles. The water on board the big ships is great..Reverse Osmosis filtered.

If you get in a cab and tell them that you want to stop and buy pop and water. I am pretty sure that they would be willing to help you out. They would know where things are in Miami. Plus with you luggage in the cab the meter will still be running. So I don't think they will mind waiting on you while you are in the store.

The route from airport to cruise port might be out of the way to go to a Publix..would rack up the cab meter..

there is a CVS in downtown Miami right near the Port and Bayside..tell them to go there

you can get soda (we don't call it "pop" LOL) ...and water..and pick up 2 bottles of wine for each of you to carry on..that is allowed and you will enjoy it I am sure

Destiny was great..

I go to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel...no charge for loungers, Palupas..great food,drinks..pay as you go..they have horseback riding, atv tours, the "tequilla tasting" that Samantha Brown did....all for a fee

they have a small flea market..where you can haggle...an infinity pool at no charge..

food is great

also the beach is more sandy than rocky which is wonderful...also less crowded and probably less kids than Paradise Beach

they also have snorkel, parasail and more

just grab a cab

~~ food was wonderful on Destiny, everything was good..try the cream fruit soups

lido was pretty crowded , I preferred the deli which has fantastic reubans

Pizza was great

Breakfast was a zoo so I ate in the dining room 3 mornings...get the eggs benedict with extra sauce on the side and sliced lemons...squeeze a little lemon on the sauce..yum

The bagel and lox was also wonderful

The shows were great...1 comedian was good, Frank Del Pizzo...and one was "ehhh"...a guy named William who has cerebal palsy but just wasn't funny

The band Blood Power is fantastic...the first night they played in a non smoking lounge and they were really good...they are a "cover band" and do lots of rock, classic rock..they are from the Philipines!

Nice area : aft pool deck...adults ONLY in pool and hot tub...and NO smoking in the whole area...and yes, they had 2 security to enforce that altho the waiter and bartender could care less

If this is your first cruise, prepare to be amazed :)

First time cruiser and taking the Destiny and was wondering where you can buy pop water etc to bring on board. We are flying into Miami that morning so we can't bring the stuff on the plane with us. So should we grab a cab and will they stop at a store for us ? Should I bring a half empty suitcase to fill? Can I do that? Also is the ship water (not bottled) ok to drink? Is there anthing else I should know that they don't tell you? Thanks in advance . Anxious soon to be cruiser.

Congrats on your first cruise, just so you know you will not be able to stop after just one. I just got off the Destiny in March of this year. You are going to have a ball, I enjoyed the Destiny and especially the food, I hope you have the same chef. On your question though, I took a collaspable bag with me and I fill it with sodas, wine and bottle water, the Hotel we stayed in was in walking distance to lots of shopping. Also I do not drink the water on any ships, it has an after taste to me, but maybe that's just me. Have a great time!!!:D

We've booked Nachi Cocum in Cozumel for our trip next month. All inclusive, not crowded, no sales pitch, options available if you want it. I've only seen pics from others here on Critic that have gone, and it looks like an amazing day. It's pretty well reviewed by those who have been....

You have to book it privately, thru the Island marketing website. Catch a cab for about $15. If you check your roll call, ( if there is one) you may find some folks have already booked there, and you can share the cost of the cab...

The cab fare from MIA to the port is a nice flat rate. If you intend to stop, you will need to tell them that when you get in so they can use the meter instead. If you don't tell them up front they won't be able to charge you correctly and may not want to stop.

The cab trip will be more expensive but you'll probably save it several times over in soda costs.

Oh are they that nice. Maybe overkill for short cruise but the price to me isn't completely unreasonable . Then again never really looked before. Info on the dining would be great thanks. Have a good cruise

Since this is the third time on Destiny but first since drydock, will be looking forward to any decor changes made. If you post cabin # I can try and get a photo if possible before they "lock them" at 1:30 embark day- we'll see. Any other questions let me know- I will try & keep track of menus, views etc. I am a detail person!

Suzy

The route from airport to cruise port might be out of the way to go to a Publix..would rack up the cab meter..

there is a CVS in downtown Miami right near the Port and Bayside..tell them to go there

you can get soda (we don't call it "pop" LOL) ...and water..and pick up 2 bottles of wine for each of you to carry on..that is allowed and you will enjoy it I am sure

Destiny was great..

I go to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel...no charge for loungers, Palupas..great food,drinks..pay as you go..they have horseback riding, atv tours, the "tequilla tasting" that Samantha Brown did....all for a fee

they have a small flea market..where you can haggle...an infinity pool at no charge..

food is great

also the beach is more sandy than rocky which is wonderful...also less crowded and probably less kids than Paradise Beach

they also have snorkel, parasail and more

just grab a cab

~~ food was wonderful on Destiny, everything was good..try the cream fruit soups

lido was pretty crowded , I preferred the deli which has fantastic reubans

Pizza was great

Breakfast was a zoo so I ate in the dining room 3 mornings...get the eggs benedict with extra sauce on the side and sliced lemons...squeeze a little lemon on the sauce..yum

The bagel and lox was also wonderful

The shows were great...1 comedian was good, Frank Del Pizzo...and one was "ehhh"...a guy named William who has cerebal palsy but just wasn't funny

The band Blood Power is fantastic...the first night they played in a non smoking lounge and they were really good...they are a "cover band" and do lots of rock, classic rock..they are from the Philipines!

Nice area : aft pool deck...adults ONLY in pool and hot tub...and NO smoking in the whole area...and yes, they had 2 security to enforce that altho the waiter and bartender could care less

If this is your first cruise, prepare to be amazed :)

I had to chuckle when I saw we don't call it pop, I thought hmmm where is the original poster from Yep OHIO Go Bucks!!! My brother was stationed in germany for several years and when he came home he also called pop "soda" Enjoy your cruise!!! We get to cruise again in Jan Yea!!!

A pop is an old man, not something you drink!:D

That is true too, BUT in my business (Own a Dairy Queen) when someone comes in and asks what flavor of sodas do you have we always just say we can make a soda in any flavor that we make shakes in. :p Now a days most people ask if its coke or pepsi.

I know not on subject. Sorry. :)

LOL>>> I am from Pittsburgh but many years in Florida I have learned to say "soda"

You will probably find that English will NOT be the first language of your cab driver in Miami, but they will speak English and understand words like CVS,

walgreens, SODA, wine etc..

if you say Pop you might get to visit their Papi or something LOL

Keep it simple...say "soda" haha

Archived