Amsterdam Inspection for Qween Karen

MrsMuir

Inspectors: Wander, MiddleAgedMom and Mrs Muir

Findings: None. Everything is shipshape and Bristol fashion.

Comments: The Amsterdam is beautiful and ready to receive Qween Karen on September 26.

Personal Note: Thank you, MiddleAgedMom, for introducing yourself. Meeting you was the highlight of a wonderful day.

Mrs Muir

WELL....how fun is THAT?! Thank you for the inspection and making sure that everything was ship shape! Hopefully it stays that way during it's week in Alaska. Also how fun that you two were able to meet.

I am going to breakfast at Maggie Bluff's on Saturday for a good view of the Amsterdam prior to making my way to the pier.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much, Mrs. Muir; it was a delight to meet you and your husband, "Mr. Ghost":) Wasn't that a lovely presentation and luncheon on the Amsterdam? I felt really honored to be there, because I know it was an "invitation only" event, and evidently my travel agent thought my mom and I were "likely prospects" for a long voyage in the future.

Kween Karen, you are going to have a wonderful cruise. You probably already know all this: Your captain will be Olav Van der Waard (hope I'm spelling that right), your hotel manager will be Henk Minsink, with Crystal, his wife, as Guest Relations Manager (don't know if I spelled those names right, either). Your cruise hostess is Jackie, a delightful young lady who did an excellent job talking about her experiences on the long voyages on Saturday. I enjoyed hearing from Stein Kruse as well; he was very articulate in his appreciation for all of the many, many HAL mariners who were there at the event.

Kween Karen, if I'm not there in person at Maggie Bluff's to see you off, please know that I'm wishing you a "Bon Voyage" in spirit. I'll be following along with you as you go.:)

Thank you so much, Mrs. Muir; it was a delight to meet you and your husband, "Mr. Ghost":) Wasn't that a lovely presentation and luncheon on the Amsterdam? I felt really honored to be there, because I know it was an "invitation only" event, and evidently my travel agent thought my mom and I were "likely prospects" for a long voyage in the future.

Kween Karen, you are going to have a wonderful cruise. You probably already know all this: Your captain will be Olav Van der Waard (hope I'm spelling that right), your hotel manager will be Henk Minsink, with Crystal, his wife, as Guest Relations Manager (don't know if I spelled those names right, either). Your cruise hostess is Jackie, a delightful young lady who did an excellent job talking about her experiences on the long voyages on Saturday. I enjoyed hearing from Stein Kruse as well; he was very articulate in his appreciation for all of the many, many HAL mariners who were there at the event.

Kween Karen, if I'm not there in person at Maggie Bluff's to see you off, please know that I'm wishing you a "Bon Voyage" in spirit. I'll be following along with you as you go.:)

Hi MAM:

So our Captain is going to be Captain Van Der Hottie - we had been told that it was to be Fred Everson. I have heard so much about Captain Van der Waard and now I actually get to see him in person - wow, 63 days of eye candy.:D

Jackie was the hostess on last year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise and she is really nice, does a good job and can remain unflustered (even when being scolded by a Japanese lady who was demonstrating Ikebana because she (Jackie) moved the flowers).

Sorry you won't be on this cruise with Karen and moi but maybe someday we will actually meet in person on some "dam" cruise or another.

Karen leaves this Saturday but I don't board the ship until a week from Wednesday (in L.A.). I wonder how much trouble the two of us can get into during those 63 days?

Valerie;)

What was the criterion for being invited to the luncheon on the Amsterdam ? With over 300 + days we never heard a peep, and we live in the Seattle area. Inquiring minds want to know.

I can only speak for myself. In my case, I was invited to attend by my assiduous, old-fashioned "brick and mortar" travel agent. I have booked all my family's vacations (land and sea) with her for the past six years. She has a good working relationship with the local HAL sales and administrative staff. Over the years, she has become a dear friend to me and my parents, who were her clients originally, and who recommended her to me.

Hi MAM:

So our Captain is going to be Captain Van Der Hottie - we had been told that it was to be Fred Everson. I have heard so much about Captain Van der Waard and now I actually get to see him in person - wow, 63 days of eye candy.:D

Jackie was the hostess on last year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise and she is really nice, does a good job and can remain unflustered (even when being scolded by a Japanese lady who was demonstrating Ikebana because she (Jackie) moved the flowers).

Sorry you won't be on this cruise with Karen and moi but maybe someday we will actually meet in person on some "dam" cruise or another.

Karen leaves this Saturday but I don't board the ship until a week from Wednesday (in L.A.). I wonder how much trouble the two of us can get into during those 63 days?

Valerie;)

Well, Valerie, I could always be wrong. It's happened before:eek: All I know is that I saw Captain Van der Hottie's charming visage there on the big screen before me, and I recall that he was mentioned as the "designated driver" for your cruise. Maybe Mrs. Muir can chime in with her recollection. Kween Karen will let us know the definitive answer, I'm sure, in her blog. So behave yourself, dear Valerie:) I'm sure the two of you will be able to cook up quite a lot of trouble on your wonderful cruise. Drink a glass of champagne for me, please!

Karin

DH and I were invited aboard by our TA, who works for a US-wide brick-and-mortar agency. We haven't known her long, but we have hit it off and also have referred her to friends who have also booked with her. We also supported her participation in a charity walk. She is a great person, and we like her husband, too. The perks she's bestowed are wonderful, but more important, she seems to know what she's doing and she responds immediately to my queries.

MAM, you were much more observant for Kween Karen than I. I don't recall who the Captain or HM will be for her cruise. I was too busy paying attention to the Grand World Cruise info -- as if!!

Redmond Cruiser, I live in Sammamish.

Mrs Muir

Well....the captain will be whoever shows up on the 26th!! Since I likely won't meet him personally (except at the reception, etc) doesn't really matter to me.

Wave to me at Maggie Bluffs.............probably be there like from 10 to 11 or 11:30....something like that. I will look for waving arms!!

Karen, I hope you see this post in your last mad dash to get ready. We'll probably be at Smith Cove Park around 4:00 or so. Our goal is to see you off on your long voyage and to hear Amsterdam's whistle.

We'll be in a black Accord coupe with my white-haired Mother in the front seat. DH has white hair too -- and he's handsome. Weather permitting I'll be outside the car -- a sturdy blonde of a certain age. Richard says you won't be able to see us without binoculars, but it's worth a try. We'll be happy to represent the many CC'ers you've touched on the HAL Board in wishing you Bon Voyage.

Karen, I hope you see this post in your last mad dash to get ready. We'll probably be at Smith Cove Park around 4:00 or so. Our goal is to see you off on your long voyage and to hear Amsterdam's whistle.

We'll be in a black Accord coupe with my white-haired Mother in the front seat. DH has white hair too -- and he's handsome. Weather permitting I'll be outside the car -- a sturdy blonde of a certain age. Richard says you won't be able to see us without binoculars, but it's worth a try. We'll be happy to represent the many CC'ers you've touched on the HAL Board in wishing you Bon Voyage.

Got it!! I will look for you......

My fellow roll call members who are boarding in Seattle are gathering in the Crow's Next after the lifeboat drill.....so we can ALL look for you!

Thanks for making a memorable 'sail away'!! Very special!

I love that you will be there to wish Karen well -- I only wish I could be there also -- but I am in South Carolina and it just a tad too much to run out for the Bon Voyage --

Karen,

All the best of wishes for your "Dream Cruise".

If anyone ever deserved the "Time Of Their Life" it is you after all that you have been through.

Expect a little Sumthin'-Sumthin' waiting for you on board.

(I only mention this because of all the problems listed on CC about on board gifts never arriving. If nothing is there from me, check into it)

Will be following your blog,

Reuel

Got it!! I will look for you......

My fellow roll call members who are boarding in Seattle are gathering in the Crow's Next after the lifeboat drill.....so we can ALL look for you!

Thanks for making a memorable 'sail away'!! Very special!

Have a wonderful time. You ESPECIALLY deserve it. I had not read the other thread until someone posted a link here-so I was unaware-I assume everything worked out well for you?

Karen,

All the best of wishes for your "Dream Cruise".

If anyone ever deserved the "Time Of Their Life" it is you after all that you have been through.

Expect a little Sumthin'-Sumthin' waiting for you on board.

(I only mention this because of all the problems listed on CC about on board gifts never arriving. If nothing is there from me, check into it)

Will be following your blog,

Reuel

How totally nice! What a fun anticipation! Thank you SO much (ahead of time!)

Archived