Just back, can maybe help with Quebec City, Saguenay, Charlotttown & Sydney

debsjc

We are just back home from the Eurodam Quebec to New York cruise.

I'm no expert, but happy to help with any questions I can. We had 3 days pre-cruise in Quebec City, and arranged rental cars for our days in Saguenay, Charlottetown, and Sydney.

We are just back home from the Eurodam Quebec to New York cruise.

I'm no expert, but happy to help with any questions I can. We had 3 days pre-cruise in Quebec City, and arranged rental cars for our days in Saguenay, Charlottetown, and Sydney.

what rental companies did you use and how much

thanks

Saguenay has been the hardest port for us to plan and there isn't a lot of information about there about this port. What did you do in Saguenay? What was your overall impression of this port?

These are the tours that look somewhat interesting to us (if we book with the ship). Do you know anything about them?:

1. DISCOVERY OF NEW FRANCE - Visit a living history site, a meticulous restoration of historic buildings depicting Quebec in the 17th century. A cast of colorful characters will guide you on your journey as you stroll amid settings faithful to the 17th century descriptions of New France. Rediscover a Huron village, the Cent Associés farm together with Quebec City's Upper and Lower Town. Experience the unique contact with the two major civilizations at the dawn of Québec history, namely the First Nation and French culture. You will encounter a cast of actors and actresses re-creating the lifestyles in the 17th century. View the inhabitants demonstrate crafts and everyday skills typical of this time period while explaining the way of life in New France.

2. Kayaking at Saguenay National Park

Thank you!

what rental companies did you use and how much

thanks

We used National in Saguenay, and Budget in the other 2 ports.

I pre-booked all 3 online, but didn't pay in advance, and went for the smallest car possible. We took most of the top-up insurances, except PAI.

I've just checked the documents I bought back, and these seem to be the actual figures we paid in Canadian dollars (but I haven't got my credit card bill yet to confirm it)

Sydney - CAD 64

Saguenay - CAD 69

Charlottetown -CAD 67

Saguenay has been the hardest port for us to plan and there isn't a lot of information about there about this port. What did you do in Saguenay? What was your overall impression of this port?

These are the tours that look somewhat interesting to us (if we book with the ship). Do you know anything about them?:

1. DISCOVERY OF NEW FRANCE - Visit a living history site, a meticulous restoration of historic buildings depicting Quebec in the 17th century. A cast of colorful characters will guide you on your journey as you stroll amid settings faithful to the 17th century descriptions of New France. Rediscover a Huron village, the Cent Associés farm together with Quebec City's Upper and Lower Town. Experience the unique contact with the two major civilizations at the dawn of Québec history, namely the First Nation and French culture. You will encounter a cast of actors and actresses re-creating the lifestyles in the 17th century. View the inhabitants demonstrate crafts and everyday skills typical of this time period while explaining the way of life in New France.

2. Kayaking at Saguenay National Park

Thank you!

We drove to the Baie-Éternité area of the National Park, which takes just under an hour. The hike we did was just under 2km, and was nice, but not amazing scenery. I think the longer hikes are more beautiful.

http://www.sepaq.com/pq/sag/en/

Then we went to the Mars River Canyon 'Centre Plein Air Bec-Scie' where we did a 3km round trip hike to see a waterfall. It's only about 10 mins drive from the port, and very beautiful and highly recommended.

http://www.ville.saguenay.qc.ca/tour...nt.htm&lang=en

Of the two tours you mention, I personally would go for the kayaking. it's very much a scenery port, and the views would be fantastic from the kayak.

However this website should show you a bit more about the 'New France' option

http://www.sitenouvellefrance.com/english/

Thanks for the information and links. This is all very helpful. Our first choice is going to be the kayaking then. My only concern will be the weather (being too cold on Oct. 21) so I guess we will book the ship's tour and then change at the last minute if the weather is too cold or rainy.

We've got cars booked for Charlottetown and Portland ME with Enterprise. Cancelled our Halifax booking because it seemed there was a lot to do in the city itself.

Can you please tell us your PEI route and stops? My daughter wants to see Green Gables, which looks to be about an hour and a half drive from the Port? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

We've got cars booked for Charlottetown and Portland ME with Enterprise. Cancelled our Halifax booking because it seemed there was a lot to do in the city itself.

Can you please tell us your PEI route and stops? My daughter wants to see Green Gables, which looks to be about an hour and a half drive from the Port? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

We drove from Charlottetown to Dalvey, where the national park starts, and did a 2km hike called 'boardwalks and rushes' . After that we drove onto Cavendish and went to Cavendish beach. I saw the entrance to Green Gables there, but we didn't go in ourselves. The drive there takes no more than one hour.

Our route back from Cavendish was via New Glasgow and the Island Preserve Company, then back to Charlottetown - this would also take less an hour (if you didn't stop)

If you do stop an the Island Preserve company you may not be able to eat there, the day we went the restaurant was shut for a large group from the ship. Luckily the lady was kind enough to find us some gorgeous raspberry cream cheese pie, which we ate outside in the lovely sunshine. :)

All along the round trip the views were very pretty. It's well worth getting out of town and exploring the countryside.

Link to a map

http://www.tourismpei.com/photos/sites/visitorsguide/Daytour-Maps_09_GG_1080.jpg

How VERY helpful! Thank you. So, would you say you were out for about 5 hours or so? We're there from 11:00 - 7:00 but the car's got to be back by, I believe, 5:00.

Also, is it pretty straightforward, getting out of Charlottetown? How did you know how to find the Island Preserves Company? Why the heck is it so popular? I like jams and jellies alright but, building a whole tourist attraction around them? Please tell me more?

Thanks again.

I think Budget is open until 5.30 pm mon-fri, but if you would like a ride back to the pier with them then you may have to return by 5pm. We were there from 9am and returned the car about 2.30pm.

The island preserve company does have gardens, which are nice, but not amazing. It's in a pretty setting, and the views on the drive to it are good. We just thought it made a different route back to stop at New Glasgow, and there isn't much else in that village. You will probably want to spend the majority of your time in the Cavendish area, and just make a brief stop at the Preserve Company.

We got one map from the tourist authority before we went, and another one from Budget, and with these it was easy to find the way. The was very little traffic.

Deb, we're renting a car in Charlottetown, too, and I love the route you took. We hadn't considered a hike, but I think that's a winner! I can tell you saw the beach while out there, but how about farmlands. We're both bringing our cameras, and we want to photograph the red sands, beaches, possibly a lighthouse or two. I am so excited!

For any one you who haven't yet visited the tourism site Deb recommended, do so. It is a real treat. Here's the the link again.

Deb, we're renting a car in Charlottetown, too, and I love the route you took. We hadn't considered a hike, but I think that's a winner! I can tell you saw the beach while out there, but how about farmlands. We're both bringing our cameras, and we want to photograph the red sands, beaches, possibly a lighthouse or two. I am so excited!

For any one you who haven't yet visited the tourism site Deb recommended, do so. It is a real treat. Here's the the link again.

We did pass a lighthouse, on the coast road that runs west from Dalvey towards Cavendish (you can see it marked on the map)

Sorry we haven't got around to uploading, and sorting photos yet.

On the drive from Cavendish to New Glasgow you pass through farmlands. Also at Dalvey there is a choice of hikes, and some of them were through farmland I believe. There is a display board showing the routes and distances, at the parking lot for the National Park in Dalvey.

Hi - Where did you drive around Sydney? Did you drive the Cabot Trail? I am debating between renting a car or sailing on the Bras d'Or Lakes (HAL ship excursion).

This was probably our least successful day, but totally beautiful and somewhere I would love to go back to. The problem was what we did was just too much driving in one day.

We were planning to go to Baddeck, but then we changed our plans and went to Ingonish Beach via the Englishtown chain ferry. The drive was over 2 hours each way, on windy roads, and there was some major road work construction as well. By the time we got to the National park, we just had time for a 2km hike, some delicious fries at a beach cafe, and then we had to head back.

If you don't mind driving long distances, and spending most of the day in the car then go to Ingonish, the views are stunning. Otherwise go to Baddeck or take a ships tour.

If you don't mind driving long distances, and spending most of the day in the car then go to Ingonish, the views are stunning. Otherwise go to Baddeck or take a ships tour.

Sorry, this is off-topic but I just wanted to thank you for making me smile :).

I see you are from the UK and I lived there for 6 years (my husband's British). Anyway, we lived by the sea, in Sidmouth, Devon, and we always used to chuckle when we saw the cars lined up on the hill overlooking the ocean. Every one filled with couples, their thermoses, cheese sandwiches and usually their newspapers. Seemed like a National Sunday pastime - get in the car, drive a couple of hours, take in the view have a snack and a read, then home to a nice roast dinner - LOVELY!

It's strange you should say that, but it honestly does happen.

We were in Dorset recently on a beautiful sunny day, we parked up and went for a walk. When we returned to the car an hour later, the people parked next to us were still sat in the car drinking tea and reading the papers....why!!!!!!

Archived