Best Purchases for Cruising

Milaandra

Here's a thread...what are the purchases that worked out the best for cruising?

I'll start:

Hush Puppies Badu Flip Flops - all I can say is wow! what great comfort for sightseeing. And they grip those slippery wet decks, too! Over the next year I'll be searching ebay for a deal on another pair or two.

Gloria Vanderbilt Allyson jeans - on sale at Sears (U.S.) for $25! (In Canada they are sold in Zellers) Great for us fluffy types (up to size 18). Soft, with a super comfortable waistband, flattering and they really do (by magic!) make the belly look smaller. I'm in love! I even wore them on our 8-hour train ride.

My new rolling garment bag. (I'll have to check the brand and post it later) It rocks! Travelling was so much easier this cruise! And we could carry it on. Bonus!

So...what did you buy for your cruise that worked out great?

Pito Tubes!

Someone mentioned them here several months ago and I finally bought some before this last cruise. They're fantastic. They are pump type bottles with the base that rises up as you empty the bottle. You get every single drop of product out of the bottle, they're the right size for getting through TSA security, they're well made. www dot pitotubes dot com

Guess what all the women in my family is getting for Christmas this year? ;)

I love my Pito Tubes as well :) I use them for all travel.

I can't think of any one thing or article of clothing for just cruising. Other than a new cocktail dress I don't buy anything specific for a cruise. I pack out of my closet, wearing the clothes I wear at home. Years ago I learned that "cruise clothes" just don't work for me...they all ended up in the Goodwill bag.

So, I'll have to go with KLlund in saying the tickets!

I've never heard of pito tubes before. I just went to the website to check them out; do you put any of your liquid toiletries into them?

Hmm.. now my fav cruise purchase. I have this little case that looks like a cigarette case. I use it to put some cash and my room key in and then I stick my wallet in the safe for the week. I found it at Hallmark not too long ago for about $3. I always bring a wristlet also, but I didn't purchase them specifically for cruises.

Clothes, clothes, clothes - at unbelievable prices at discount stores, which is how I ended up buying clothes! 5 cocktail dresses, 2 maxi dresses, and 4 bathing suits! And a place to wear them! Oh, and a one-shouldered evening jumpsuit, compliments Marshalls!

I've never heard of pito tubes before. I just went to the website to check them out; do you put any of your liquid toiletries into them?

I used my pito tubes for shampoo, conditioner, face wash, face lotion and face serum. They really worked very, very well. I used a lot of the face wash and shampoo, and the tubes really cleanly pushed up from the bottom. They also didn't leak when lying sideways in my toiletries bag, and on the shelf in the shower.

I was seriously impressed with them (and I don't work for them! :D)

I used my pito tubes for shampoo, conditioner, face wash, face lotion and face serum. They really worked very, very well. I used a lot of the face wash and shampoo, and the tubes really cleanly pushed up from the bottom. They also didn't leak when lying sideways in my toiletries bag, and on the shelf in the shower.

I was seriously impressed with them (and I don't work for them! :D)

Thanks for the info. I may just put them on my "Dear Santa" list. :p

http://pitotubes.com/shoppingcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64

We sell them in the luggage store I work in so I can get them at my employee discount, but their own site has a good sale price on them.

If any of you decide to order them, get a couple extra spray heads, I think they are .02 cents each. Even though I had a full set, I ordered from here to get a couple jars, one more .5 ounce tube and spray heads.

I found they weren't great for my hair conditioner, it was too thick to get into the tube.

I bought a black knee-length skirt with a flirty hem once at a Wal-mart from an slale rack in the aisle for $3. I didn't even try it on, but it fits perfectly, goes with many different tops and can be dressed up or down. Plus, it's the kind of travel knit that never wrinkles, washes like a dream and packs down to almost nothing.

I almost never buy clothes at Wally World, but this one is a winner. I don't wear it only for cruises, though.

Another favorite is a black ball gown from Herbergers for $7.50. It is only worn for cruises, since I have no use for it in my normal life.

Great idea for a thread. Anxious to hear other responses!

1. A smaller "generic" travel diaper bag. Doesn't look like a diaper bag and is great for our excursions. Fits water bottles in it great, keeps them cold too, has several pockets for all kinds of stuff, crosses over my body, fits my camera in it nicely.

2. Packing cubes. LOVE them. I just take them out of the luggage and place in the drawers. I always leave one empty so when I go to pack the dirty clothes as I wear them, they go straight into a cube.

3. A Vera Bradley wristlet "purse". Just the right size to fit in my carryon luggage for the plan, the passports fit perfectly, spots for my CC's, plane tickets are handy.

One of the best/most versitile items in my "cruising" wardrobe is Travelers pants and tops from Chico's - they are "dressy" but they do not wrinkle (you can sometimes score them inexpensively on- Chico's website);) Also I Love My Crocs for walking on the ship (especially near the pool area where it is sometimes slippery):eek: Ugly yes, but soooooo comfortable.

My hooded linen long-sleeved top -- very lightweight, yet provides protection from the sun. The perfect top for the beach, and for any activities in the heat & sun. Could put the hood up to protect my neck & ears. Sadly, I've ruined it, and can't find a replacement.

Off to check out Pito tubes :)

My best ever cruise buy.....

Some silver strappy sandals with a 2" heel from Target.... bought them 2 cruises ago... and they cost under $20!!!

I spent days looking for some comfortable silver shoes.... was prepared to pay a lot more.....

These sandals are both comfy and look good.... I love them!!!

Packing cubes! I love my set!

Paige jeans - expensive but so soft, perfectly fit, and versatile for on ship and in port.

A simple grey hoodie! I get cold so easily I end up wearing it more nights than not, and the Ralph Lauren sport one I found is a nice color, nice fabric, and has no words or logos on it.

Great idea for a thread. Anxious to hear other responses!

1. A smaller "generic" travel diaper bag. Doesn't look like a diaper bag and is great for our excursions. Fits water bottles in it great, keeps them cold too, has several pockets for all kinds of stuff, crosses over my body, fits my camera in it nicely.

2. Packing cubes. LOVE them. I just take them out of the luggage and place in the drawers. I always leave one empty so when I go to pack the dirty clothes as I wear them, they go straight into a cube.

3. A Vera Bradley wristlet "purse". Just the right size to fit in my carryon luggage for the plan, the passports fit perfectly, spots for my CC's, plane tickets are handy.

What is a packing cube? Is there a website where I can see them?

The diaper bag is a great idea!

Does anyone use a knapsack? Remember when leather knapsack purses were all the rage? I wish they were still around, they would be great for port days.

What is a packing cube? Is there a website where I can see them?

The diaper bag is a great idea!

Does anyone use a knapsack? Remember when leather knapsack purses were all the rage? I wish they were still around, they would be great for port days.

http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories/packing_folders_cubes/category_search/index.cfm?N=20014520&sourceid=DECSMXCT&ovchn=INK&ovcpn=SiteMatch&ovcrn=SMX&ovtac=PI

Packing cubes are really great if you use duffle bag shape luggage. I roll most of my clothes in them and they don't wrinkle, they stay in place and don't shift around in the luggage, neat and orderly. I only have a couple small ones as anything really small you can stuff inside shoes etc... I tend to stay with the mediums and a few large ones.

I personally stay away from a knapsack that hangs on your back like a bookbag. Across the body might work but the big huge size ones would drive me crazy. LOL

Just back from Greece/Turkey/Spain on the lovely Nautica. Things I couldn't travel without:

1. folding nylon duffel bag that zips into a small package. Laundry bag, spare suitcase,at end shoes and dirty clothes just ship through. Also a small nylon sack for water bottels souveniers travel guide etc. on excursions.

2 Jan Sport mini back pack purse--3 zipper pockets and just enough room for small wallet, sunglasses, water bottle, pills etc. In crowds go to just one strap under my elbow. Wash this little bag pack when needed.

3. simple pocket neck bank that I tie to the bra strap and holds passport (though new models are so stiff they don't mold to your curves as well) and money/credit cards.

4. Lanier (neck strap like ID's go on) attached to my point and shoot camera. Mine is long enough that I can shoot pictures from it and don't have to remove strap. Absolutely the only way I don't leave camera behind.

5. Thumb drives for computer. Newer cameras ( even point and shoot Canon's) have 10 mega pixels and take up lots of space per picture. I prefer smaller 2 GB cards in camera so that don't loose everything if lost or broken. OLDER CAMERAS WILL NOT ACCEPT 4 GB CARDS --TOO BIG.

6. Absolutely simple black dress (long) and silky black pants and white cotton leggings. 8 silky like tops that go over/in combination and with the other three pieces. All these "formal" clothes weigh just over one pound total. Add one pair of good black sandals. Jeweled tops dropped as baggage fees went up. Only problem is keeping them on hangers if drawer space limited. All are washable even in the sink drip dry. I add to the collection as I see something I like.

7. 24 inch polycarbonate spinner bag. Fits in European taxis which are very small trunked. 26 inch bag of husband is lightweight but would not fit around the spare tires. 30 inch polycarbonate bought last year is useless -- can't get it in land transportation and too easy to overfill for weight. 2 little bags better than one big one.

I am another fan of the packing cube. The best part about them is if you use them to stay organized in your cabin, then packing for the return is a snap. My favorites are the double sided kind so that you can separate clean/dirty items.

I also love my 14" wheeled Travelon carry-on. It has see through plastic compartments; a toiletry organized that hangs in the bathroom; and plenty of space. I travel weekly and this goes with me everywhere.

Dollar Store finds:

- mesh laundry bags, 1 in white, and 1 dark blue or black. Lets me sort dirty laundry as I go. I keep them under the bed, or in a drawer in the cabin, wherever there's space.

- smaller mesh bags that were sold 4 to a package. Great for organizing & sorting items in your luggage. On our recent Alaska cruise, one held hats & gloves, one held maps & guide books, one held all the various electronics chargers, etc.

Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets

And, while the pito tubes sound great, I've had great luck with assorted small bottles from this site -- because they're designed for industrial use, they hold up pretty well, and I haven't had any issues with leakage or breakage:

- Small round dropper bottles - great for small amounts of baby oil, face serum, saline solution... Prices start at $0.19 each. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=14951&product%5Fid=26360

- Small round bottles w/flip caps - great for hand lotion, shampoo & conditioner, hair gel, etc. About $0.80 & up each. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=14951&product%5Fid=14891

:)

Mary Ellen

Archived