Just back from the Oosterdam

LILynn

What can I say - It was fantastic. The ship is beautiful, the service topnotch as usual. We had great ports and a fantastic time in each port.

We did shore excursions in Venice (o Murano and Burano), Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Santorini, Rome and Barcelona. We rented a car in Corfu and drove to the beach to relax. We had a driver in Sicily, Naples and Livorno and shared it with people we met on cruise critic. We were very happy with the choices that we made in each port.

We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill one night. The food was really good - I did have to send my dinner back though as the shrimp were raw but when they brought it back it was perfect. One thing I thought was strange - it was hard to get a reservation for the PG - but most nights it was never more than 1/2 full. We wanted to go back for a second night but could not get a reservation.

We had anytime dining. The nights we ate in the dining room were good. We met so many really nice people - from all over the world. It was so much fun getting to find out about other places - it was one of my favorite parts of the trip. We did eat in the Lido a number of nights - I was just too tired to get dressed and go to the dining room after being out all day. The food was good but I wish it stayed open later.

We did see a movie in the screening room - Angels and Demons - which was so appropriate as we were in Rome the following day. The room is really comfortable but it is small - so get there early if it is a movie you want to see. We got there at 9:30 to see Angels and Demons (it started at 10) - we got the last 2 seats that were together. So many people came in after us and could not stay to see the movie.

We did one of the cooking classes on the sea day. Only 5 people signed up - I think it would have been more fun with more people. The recipes were things I would make at home and the chef from the PG taught the class.

I only saw one show. I cannot remember the name of the performer - he was an illusionist and comedian. He was fantastic - the best show I ever saw on a ship. It was hard to time the shows and dinner and this was the only one that did work out - we saw it at 7, then went to dinner afterwards.

We did have dinner in the Italian restaurant - Cannoletti and I did enjoy that a lot.

One of my favorite things we did were the classes they offered from Microsoft - Put Your Best Face Forward, How to Make a Movie, etc. I took all of the classes. I learned so much including how easy it is to fix bad photos, how to make panoramic photos, how to make movies, create a blog, etc. Hana was the teacher - she left when we got off the ship and went to the Noordam so if anyone will be on that ship - take her classes and please tell her Lynn says hi!

All in all it was a great trip - I cannot think of one thing that I was not happy with and would recommend this ship and this itinerary in a minute.

Wow! Sounds like a great trip! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. The Oosterdam is one of our favorites and I'm happy to hear she did not disappoint. :D

Thanks for the head's up on the Microsoft classes. They seem pretty popular. :)

Thanks LiLynn and Hoopman for your posts. We are anxiously awaiting to leave for our cruise that begins in Venice on Oct. 5 and ends in Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 2.

It's great to read your positive comments about the Oosterdam, her crew and the activities. Looking forward to all the ports and especially the sunset at Santorini

• 5 months later...
What can I say - It was fantastic. The ship is beautiful, the service topnotch as usual. We had great ports and a fantastic time in each port.

We did shore excursions in Venice (o Murano and Burano), Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Santorini, Rome and Barcelona. We rented a car in Corfu and drove to the beach to relax. We had a driver in Sicily, Naples and Livorno and shared it with people we met on cruise critic. We were very happy with the choices that we made in each port.

We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill one night. The food was really good - I did have to send my dinner back though as the shrimp were raw but when they brought it back it was perfect. One thing I thought was strange - it was hard to get a reservation for the PG - but most nights it was never more than 1/2 full. We wanted to go back for a second night but could not get a reservation.

We had anytime dining. The nights we ate in the dining room were good. We met so many really nice people - from all over the world. It was so much fun getting to find out about other places - it was one of my favorite parts of the trip. We did eat in the Lido a number of nights - I was just too tired to get dressed and go to the dining room after being out all day. The food was good but I wish it stayed open later.

We did see a movie in the screening room - Angels and Demons - which was so appropriate as we were in Rome the following day. The room is really comfortable but it is small - so get there early if it is a movie you want to see. We got there at 9:30 to see Angels and Demons (it started at 10) - we got the last 2 seats that were together. So many people came in after us and could not stay to see the movie.

We did one of the cooking classes on the sea day. Only 5 people signed up - I think it would have been more fun with more people. The recipes were things I would make at home and the chef from the PG taught the class.

I only saw one show. I cannot remember the name of the performer - he was an illusionist and comedian. He was fantastic - the best show I ever saw on a ship. It was hard to time the shows and dinner and this was the only one that did work out - we saw it at 7, then went to dinner afterwards.

We did have dinner in the Italian restaurant - Cannoletti and I did enjoy that a lot.

One of my favorite things we did were the classes they offered from Microsoft - Put Your Best Face Forward, How to Make a Movie, etc. I took all of the classes. I learned so much including how easy it is to fix bad photos, how to make panoramic photos, how to make movies, create a blog, etc. Hana was the teacher - she left when we got off the ship and went to the Noordam so if anyone will be on that ship - take her classes and please tell her Lynn says hi!

All in all it was a great trip - I cannot think of one thing that I was not happy with and would recommend this ship and this itinerary in a minute.

Hi, we're going on the Venice to Barcelona in May. Which shore excursion did you take in Dubrovnik? Thanks!

Archived