Chilkoot - Who has been on this excursion? Comments?

pappy3393

I am considering the Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float Adventure in Skagway through Southeast Tours. Any comments on the quality and value of this excursion and the tour operator? Is there another tour in Skagway that gives you more bang for the $ and is less than $100/person? I am trying to spend a few less $$ in Skagway since I am splurging in Juneau (helicopter) & Ketchikan (seaplane).

Thank you - This is a great discussion forum! :)

I am considering the Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float Adventure in Skagway through Southeast Tours. Any comments on the quality and value of this excursion and the tour operator? Is there another tour in Skagway that gives you more bang for the $ and is less than $100/person? I am trying to spend a few less $$ in Skagway since I am splurging in Juneau (helicopter) & Ketchikan (seaplane).

Thank you - This is a great discussion forum! :)

The lowest I've seen for this "tour" is US$95pp but that isn't much budget help though! We did this tour about 5 years ago to check it out for a cruise line and had a wonderful time. The guide was great, the hike is "moderate", some uphill -- gives you a new appreciation for how difficult it was for the miners carrying all their supplies. Float was beautiful.. big raft, we had a glorious sunny day... snacks along the river (salmon, crackers, drinks etc.).. a "perfect" morning...

I just checked Southeasttours.com. They have a great description with photos, and according to the website, the price is only $80.00 per person-a relative bargain! It is great that several tours are offered throughout the day and can be scheduled around other excursions. If you do a search here on Chilkoot Hike and Float, you will find positive comments. I've found nothing negative yet. I think we will be trying this out in June.

SunnyCal

Renting a car is definitely a bargain and if you have enough time in Skagway you could do the hike 'n float and rent a car... it just depends on your interests etc. If you want to rent a car you can go to www.avis.com now and reserve one even though office in Skagway doesn't open till May 9.. They book up fast.

Archived