Kona excursions

jenny368

What does everyone recommend for excursion in Kona. We love the beach. Is there anything else there that is a must see? We will be there on Monday, April 4th from 7 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the Infinity. Any information is greatly appreciated.

We rented a car in Kona, and drove around South Point. Stopped at the Moana Loa lave fields, the South Point wind farm, ended up at Puanlu'u Beach, which has outstanding black sand. Stopped at some coffee plantation on the way back.

It may not be for everyone, but it suited us just fine

Kona has a serious lack of beaches. The shoreline here is quite rugged. Most beaches are to the north of Kailua-Kona. You might want to sign up for a snorkeling excursion that takes you to Kealakekua Bay, where the snorkeling is some of the best in Hawaii.

Kona has a serious lack of beaches. The shoreline here is quite rugged. Most beaches are to the north of Kailua-Kona. You might want to sign up for a snorkeling excursion that takes you to Kealakekua Bay, where the snorkeling is some of the best in Hawaii.

I second this one! Take the Fair Wind catamaran snorkel tour. The operator was great, and it was by far the best snorkeling I have ever done anywhere in Hawaii to date.

Kona has a serious lack of beaches. The shoreline here is quite rugged.

I beg to differ slightly. We have a lot of beaches, but they just aren't what most people are used to because we are the youngest island and still growing and therefore we have lots of lava instead of the sand that is formed once things erode. (I hope that explains it correctly). But that is also the reason that we have some of the best visibility in the world. :D No sand to obstruct your vision!

I still find it very hard to get into the water in most of the beaches around but that's because I'm a BIG CHICKEN! Hapuna Beach, has a wonderful sandy beach if you are looking for one. It is about 35 to 45 minutes north.

I've done Fair Winds had loved it! So I third that motion. :D

Jenny: What are you interested in doing? Shopping, sight seeing, swimming, touring??? That will help us direct you in the right direction.

Emi

I love Kona, and I personally think the Big Island is the best!!! I agree that Hapuna beach is nice. Lots of sand, and if you can snorkel to either side of the beach (great snorkeling). If you want to snorkel, the best place to go (without using a tour service) is at Kahaluu Beach Park. Here you will find areas to sun tan as well (Was it grass? I forget!). Turtles are practically laying on the beach, and the snorkeling is great because you are sheltered from waves. The black sand beach is also nice to see.

I beg to differ slightly. We have a lot of beaches, but they just aren't what most people are used to because we are the youngest island and still growing and therefore we have lots of lava instead of the sand that is formed once things erode. (I hope that explains it correctly). But that is also the reason that we have some of the best visibility in the world. :D No sand to obstruct your vision!

I still find it very hard to get into the water in most of the beaches around but that's because I'm a BIG CHICKEN! Hapuna Beach, has a wonderful sandy beach if you are looking for one. It is about 35 to 45 minutes north.

I've done Fair Winds had loved it! So I third that motion. :D

Jenny: What are you interested in doing? Shopping, sight seeing, swimming, touring??? That will help us direct you in the right direction.

Emi

Emi,

I've got a question for you about snorkeling in Kona. Island Princess offers a catamaran (doesn't list company name) to Pawai Bay or Captain zodiac raft to Kealakeku Bay. From what I've read the K. Bay is better for snorkeling than the P. Bay. Is that true?

Also, how is the deep sea fishing in April (Mom wants to catch a "big one")?

p.s. - I had so much fun on my Norwegian Star trip to Mexico Nov. 29 I just booked the Island Princess for April 19! I really appreciated all your help when I was planning my Mexico trip.

Debr

If snorkelling isn't your thing, rent a car and drive south to the Place of Refuge. The painted church is in the same area. This is a fascinating piece of Hawaiian history and well worth the trip. For just sightseeing, try the Waipio Valley...sort of northeast on the island. Awesome. You can also do the Akaka Falls on the same trip. It all depens on how much time you have and what you like to do.

Debr: It could the Body Glove to Pawai Bay. But I've never been there myself. I hear people prefer Kealakekua Bay and I only know that it was great there.

I don't deep sea fish myself, so I don't know. But it seems like the fishermen are fishing all the time - so maybe it will be just fine!

You're very welcome about Mexico. I wish I could go again!

Emi

Archived