Dress code

Dukegirl5577

Formal vs. informal vs. casual

I know what formal and casual are. How does "informal" differ from casual? I'm assuming this is what I generally refer to as cocktail attire or business attire. Or is it business casual? I'm really confused.

I have just done a 7 day cruise with MSC ( Musica ) there were no formal or informal nights ! In our case there were 5 casual nights and 2 Gala nights . Casual nights people dress Smart Casual ( men trousers and a shirt , women trousers/ skirt/dress whichever you are more comfortable with) Gala night men either wear a Dinner Jacket/ Tux or suit , but there is no strict dress code .

Hope it helps

On MSC Gala is the same as formal. They always use to do informal as well as casual but I've noticed that on many (but not all) they've dropped the informal.

Informal is basically smarter than casual but not as dressy as formal. I typically wear what I'd wear to a nice restaurant here. Smart trousers or skirt with a nice top (blouse or fancier t shirt); sometimes a more casual dress (more like a summer dress than an evening or cocktial). me typically don't wear suits (so i would not say that it is business dress). Shirt without tie and smart or casual trousers (but not jeans)

However I would not get too hung up on it. Dress code is not strictly observed or enforced and you will see many interpreting it differently and a some nt bothering at all.

jeans are absolutely fine on casual nights and probably ok on informal too. they do not enforce the dress code so there is no risk of you being refused entrance to the dining room (hence Mr & Mrs canada saying they think they saw people dressed casually even on formal nights).

They are like that with most of their policies. they inform you of the policy and expect you to observe it - however if you don't - they won't tell you off (unless of cousre it is a safety issue)

The only reason you get refused entrance to the dining room is turning up late. They close the doors. I'm not saying a few minutes late - more like 20-30 minutes late.

Archived