Helicopter tour prices

shakaka

HI, would we be better off paying for a helicopter tour pre-cruise online or at ports on the day. I hear that we can often get good discounts on the day but have a fear of missing out. What would you suggest?

Interested in Kauai tours mostly

Cheers

We pre-booked online with Blue Hawaiian for our Kauai tour and got a great price. While waiting for our flight we overheard others talking about what they had paid for the same flight and it was a quite a bit more than we did. Check out their internet specials! It was worth it for us and the flight was breathtaking!

Also look into the tours using airplanes... I don't think the setup is quite as cool as a helicopter, but the prices are generally less and my 9 year old is going to think it's freaking awesome!!! It's really all about what you can manage, what's affordable for you. If you want to do the tour but the helicopter is too much, look for an alternate route! http://www.tombarefoot.com/hawaii/island_hoppers_bigisle.html This also comes with a free DVD of your flight...

I would pre-book if you have your heart set on doing a helicopter tour. We've used Blue Hawaiian on Kauai and Maui and were really pleased with them. We were on land trips both times, and booked our tours on days that the cruise ships weren't in port ... and both times, our helicopters were full. I'm sure there is even more demand on the days that the cruise ships are in port.

Enjoy ... it's a fantastic experience!:)

There are rarely openings the day of, but it's not impossible. The discounts aren't that great when they are available. If you see someone talking about "I got a helicopter ride for only $50," it's almost certainly because they agreed to attend a time-share or other promotional thing that takes at least a few hours and must be attended before they can get their tickets for the flight (or other activity). It depends on how important it is to you. If it's important, book well in advance. IMO, it's not a good idea to "cheap out" or try to find the rock bottom bargain company on something this important either because a good helicopter company is not inexpensive to run, so flights are not cheap. Of course, some prices are better than others and some companies offer discounts if you book online in advance.

beachchick

http://www.hawaiidiscount.com/tours/bigisland/helicopterrides/circle-of-fire-waterfall.htm

So far this is the best price I've found... Blue Hawaii Volcanoes and Waterfalls for $185 pp. Let me know if you go! We're going in January and I'm still figuring it all out!

Has anyone done the plane tour??? I like that everyone gets a window seat, I really don't know if I want to do that or the heli tour... the plane tour is $125 for adults and $116 for kids. But my kid keeps talking about helicopters! SO it's probably worth the extra $$.

http://www.hawaiidiscount.com/tours/bigisland/helicopterrides/circle-of-fire-waterfall.htm

So far this is the best price I've found... Blue Hawaii Volcanoes and Waterfalls for $185 pp. Let me know if you go! We're going in January and I'm still figuring it all out!

Has anyone done the plane tour??? I like that everyone gets a window seat, I really don't know if I want to do that or the heli tour... the plane tour is $125 for adults and $116 for kids. But my kid keeps talking about helicopters! SO it's probably worth the extra $$.

Not sure if you've compared pricing on Blue Hawaiian's site, but it appears to be a few dollars cheaper to book directly. We booked with Blue Hawaiian and found them to be excellent to deal with. http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/tours/circle_of_fire/

We haven't done a plane tour, but did two heli tours with Blue Hawaiian (Maui and Kauai). With helicopters having the ability to move vertically, hover, descend into canyons and low spaces, and 'turn on a dime', it's quite an experience ... so I agree with you, that it will probably be worth spending the extra money.:)

I was concerned about the cancellation policy with Blue Hawaii if our ship missed the port or was late. They emailed back that I should book through the ship for that reason.:confused: Has anyone had experience with having to cancel because of the ship's schedule, not for other reasons? I hate booking through the ship because it is so much more expensive, but I don't want to pay for 4 helicopter tours we couldn't take for reasons out of our control.

HI, would we be better off paying for a helicopter tour pre-cruise online or at ports on the day. I hear that we can often get good discounts on the day but have a fear of missing out. What would you suggest?

Interested in Kauai tours mostly

Cheers

Kauai is the PLACE of all the islands to do helecopter :D

As others said, do prebook. They have a very limted number of heli's and due to popularity often book out. Don't know if they reserve given slots for those on the ship, but I'm certain that there are fewere heli's slots than there are cruises on a shiip.

I think the best discount comes from early booking, and I'd be leary of taking a flight on one that is "too" much cheaper than the going rate. A heli isn't like an airplane and if mechanical issues happen you can't just glide down :eek: Be sure to select one of the companies with a excellent safety record. Safety BTW is more then recordable incidents, it includes things like decision to not fly in bad weather, maintenance, etc. etc.

You should check with the individual operators as to their cancellation policy. I'd suspect they have an outclause for missed ports.

Enjoy Kauai!

We haven't done a plane tour, but did two heli tours with Blue Hawaiian (Maui and Kauai). With helicopters having the ability to move vertically, hover, descend into canyons and low spaces, and 'turn on a dime', it's quite an experience ... so I agree with you, that it will probably be worth spending the extra money.:)

Hadn't really considered that aspect, but you're right. And he's flown in several cessna's (literally in the cockpit "helping" fly the plane), and as cool as that is he'd love the heli experience. I guess it IS worth the extra cash... and I can make my own DVD! ;)

You can't make a DVD that even comes close to the ones they do. No way you can get your camera in that position and do what they do... http://www.bluehawaiian.com/about/fleet/digital_video_system/

Yeah, but does theirs have my KID in it? 'cause that's the most important part for me.... The Travel Channel shows the volcano videos, there are lots of volcano DVDs and books, but they don't star "Jack!" ;)

note: it looks like they do show the passengers some, and the volcano and sights as you see them... that may be the way to go... More moulah! I'm gonna have to sell a kidney! ;) How much are the Blue Hawaii DVDs, anyone know?

Yeah, but does theirs have my KID in it? 'cause that's the most important part for me.... The Travel Channel shows the volcano videos, there are lots of volcano DVDs and books, but they don't star "Jack!" ;)

note: it looks like they do show the passengers some, and the volcano and sights as you see them... that may be the way to go... More moulah! I'm gonna have to sell a kidney! ;) How much are the Blue Hawaii DVDs, anyone know?

If I remember correctly the DVD is $25... And they do have cameras inside the helicopters as well and show the passengers. Take your own, but I'd also get the one they sell as it's really beautifully done and with shots no passenger can get themselves.

I know it all adds up, but it's not something you do every day and it's a really unique experience and something you'll never forget.

Archived