FLL Airport to Miami - Scenic Route???

MizzouMary

We are flying into the Fort Lauderdale airport and will be driving to Miami to stay overnight before the cruise the next day. We would like to take a scenic route from FLL to Miami instead of taking I-95 if the drive doesn't take too long (over 75 mins.).

1.) Would Highway 1 or 822 be best? Hwy 822 looks like it would offer a more scenic ride. Are either of these roads two lane?

2.) Are there any restaurants (for dinner) along either highway that you would recommend?

3.) Is I-95 a toll highway?

Any additional comments or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

95 is not a toll road.

a1a is the beach route, but you can hardly see anything as the greedy developers have turned prime beach front into a concrete jungle. 822 must be called something else I dont know. If your talking about 826 or 836 (Dolphin and Palmetto Expressways) if you take them you might get to the pier within a couple days..haha..traffic is that bad.

If your in a time crunch, take 95 to the pier. If you can be lazy, then I'd go a1a or us 1 but leave mid morning. Trust a local with the traffic!

If you go on in the late afternoon traffic is bad. US1 is nothing scenic, its just a main road that goes into all the towns and its a lot of stop and go.

If you can tell me where your staying in Miami then I can better advise you on best local places, etc....Menina

We are flying into the Fort Lauderdale airport and will be driving to Miami to stay overnight before the cruise the next day. We would like to take a scenic route from FLL to Miami instead of taking I-95 if the drive doesn't take too long (over 75 mins.).

1.) Would Highway 1 or 822 be best? Hwy 822 looks like it would offer a more scenic ride. Are either of these roads two lane?

2.) Are there any restaurants (for dinner) along either highway that you would recommend?

3.) Is I-95 a toll highway?

Any additional comments or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Menina. We will be arriving at the FLL airport around 5:30 p.m. on a Sat. evening. We don't have a hotel yet. Still looking. Our group of 7 will have our own rental vehicle and would like to stay close to the Port of Miami (a hotel with a view of the cruise ships would be nice).

Thanks again for your help!

I would stay at Marriot Bayside without hesitation although it's on the pricey side, when my sweetie was intown (he works on a ship) we stayed there once, we were on 30th floor,end room on a corner and views were spectacular. I know from posters here if you have the patience you can get bargains from priceline, etc, but realize that the rates some are lucky to get are not the norm , almost everything in the area in season you have to "pay" for. The best restaurants I think are on Lincoln Road, more affordable than on Ocean Drive, etc. Hollywood Beach just south of FLL airport is a fun place too.

Archived