Children on Destiny at Whitsun

jimb98

We went on the Destiny on 18th June this year and the first week was great - hardly any kids. 2nd week was the start of the Scottish holidays - so it was full of teenagers.

Don't know what spring bank holiday will be like, would assume plenty of kids as it school holidays and it's sailing on Saturday next year.

My daughter will be onboad though - she's a teacher and needs to go on school holidays - it's her first cruise, she's been fed up of us going on about it, now it's a Saturday sailing she can go herself!!!

Ann

If you want to avoid kids please DON'T book to go in the school holidays. If you want to go on a peace and quiet cruise

a) Go for an adults only ship

b) Sail in June or September when certain Thomson ships are adults only

c) Grin and bare it without complaining

We parents get enough moans and comments from grumps on ships as it is whenever we go. (not that i'm suggesting that you would be that type of passenger you understand)

And please remember that school holidays are no longer standard and various regions break up at different times of the year, so do your research carefully!

Just for info, we only go on ships with our 6 and 8 year olds in term time as our son has Autism and can't cope with a full kids club (as many others with autistic children do) so the next time you are on a ship and see a child on board in term time, ask yourself are the parents tight with their money or is there another reason why they have taken their kids out of school!

If you are a teacher you have no choice but to book in school holidays! Unfortunately there will be no longer be a Thomson adults only ship when Calypso leaves the fleet. :(

RCI have fabulous kids clubs/ masses of things to do which kept the 1000 plus kids on our Easter cruise occupied (plus an adults only area which was strictly adhered to with the exception of one awkward woman who clearly thought the rule did not apply to her 12 year old daughter!)

I think older teenagers sometimes look a bit bored on Thomson ships - unless they enjoy spending their time reading/sight seeing/playing board games/spending time with parents. Depends on your teenager! We have been on Thomson cruises during the holidays when the kids on board have been fabulous and no trouble at all (better behaved than some adults!) and other cruises when they have roamed in packs, been very rude and have parents who clearly did not care!:rolleyes:

It's pot luck in the holidays I'm afraid! If you can book at other times of year then I would do so and and or cross your fingers for well behaved kids as we have to! Have a good cruise! :)

Archived