Another Pashmina question ??

Occy

When you look on e-bay, there are soooo many e-bay stores and private people selling these scarves. How can you tell a good one, from a bad one. What sld I be looking for ?? What is the difference between the more expensive ones ??

Thx in advance for your help as before buying one, I'd like to know what I sld be looking for.

I have bought several over the last 6 years from a seller called zenjen - she has the 70% cashmere/30% silk pashminas in a wide variety of colors for $32 or 3 for $90, which are really great prices. She ships very quickly, too.

If you're looking for quality, you do want the cashmere/silk blend. I've been using the shawl size as scarves in the wintertime for years. They also come in very handy on airplanes if I'm a little chilly, and fold up to nothing in my carry-on bag.

Bamboo is not pashmina!

Pashmina refers to a type of fine cashmere wool and the textiles made from it. The name comes from Pashmineh, made from Persian pashm ("wool"). ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashmina

The cheap shawls that you buy on the ship are not pashmina either, they are usually made from a cheap, manmade fabric. Be really careful when buying from ebay, etc and you won't always get what you might think you are getting. No way can you buy a pashmina shawl for $10 or $20.

Bamboo is not pashmina!

Pashmina refers to a type of fine cashmere wool and the textiles made from it. The name comes from Pashmineh, made from Persian pashm ("wool"). ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashmina

The cheap shawls that you buy on the ship are not pashmina either, they are usually made from a cheap, manmade fabric. Be really careful when buying from ebay, etc and you won't always get what you might think you are getting. No way can you buy a pashmina shawl for $10 or $20.

Absolutely correct. However, if quality isn't a huge issue, every cruiseship I've ever been on sells "faux" pashminas in their gift shop (used to be $10, but I think they've now gone up to $15). The come in a myriad of colors and are quite serviceable IMO. Of course, if you are looking for quality, then go with the real thing which will (and should) be costly.

Okay ... Doeky ..... I think I've got it straight in my head now, pashmina is not the type of shawl, it's the fabric.

I remember a few cruies ago one of our "table mates" had a little black dress she use to wear and she changed her pashmina nearly every night. Some of them were just breathtaking ..... I sure wish now I had asked her about them instead of just remarking how lovely they were. Who knows, maybe they weren't even pashminas !!!

Thx. again.......

How can something be faux cashmere? Pashmina is the fabric not the garment. The ship sells shawls.

Faux means false or fake-so yes you can have fake cashmere. Just as you can buy a poly silk blouse which can also be termed faux silk( or fake silk). Faux is simply a fancy word for saying fake so it sounds a little better. I see nothing wrong with that term.

These acrylic shawls looks like a pashmina in the weave. I should know. I have a real one-my daughter has the faux. That is how it is faux, the weave of the material looks the same. The difference of course, is cashmere wool and silk will "breathe," so especially any gal menopausal, is not apt to get overheated-as she would in the acryllic. That means you will not be constantly taking your shawl off and on -if it is the real thing.

BTW, I love mine in the winter also as another poster mentioned-whenever we have bitter cold. I wear mine under my coat wrapped around my neck and head, and the material is so soft -it stays in place-and does not constantly fall down-the way an acrylic winter scarf would.

Which is another good point-a true pashmina will stay around your shoulders without you having to pin it. The acryllic will slide.

I have noticed middle eastern Muslin women use these for head coverings-and if you notice-they never seem to have a problem with their head covering slipping-it stays in place.

How can something be faux cashmere? Pashmina is the fabric not the garment. The ship sells shawls.

You're absolutely right!

I was on a cruiseship (an inaugural cruise) that sold colorful rayon shawls below a sign that said "Pashmina $10.00". I asked the saleslady where the pashmina was and she pointed me to the rayon shawls. I told her that those were rayon, not pashmina. Alsosince pahsmina is a fabric made from of 70% cashmere and 30% silk there's no way it could be sold for $10, and that the store was misrepresenting merchandise. She was dumb as a post and didn't understand what she was selling. I asked her if she sold polyester blouses and told people they were made of silk. As I wandered around the store looking at other things, a number of ladies came in and then complained about rayon being labeled pashmina. The pashmina sign was down the next day and replaced with one that said "Shawls $10.00"

I hate being lied to!

Okay ... Doeky ..... I think I've got it straight in my head now, pashmina is not the type of shawl, it's the fabric.

Correct, pashmina is simply a fabric. It's made from cashmere and silk, and because of the nature of the weave, it doesn't work well for tailored garments like tops, jackets or skirts and is only used for shawls and scarves.

I agree that while the original usage of the term Pashmina connoted that the fabric was made from a certain place (Kashmir) and from the underbelly of the goat, in the current usage of the term pashmina by most people, Pashmina has come to mean a type of wrap that is worn--regardless of type of fabric used to make it.

I agree that while the original usage of the term Pashmina connoted that the fabric was made from a certain place (Kashmir) and from the underbelly of the goat, in the current usage of the term pashmina by most people, Pashmina has come to mean a type of wrap that is worn--regardless of type of fabric used to make it.

I still refer to certain fleece fabric garments as PolarFleece, to disposible facial tissue as Kleenex, and my grandparents called every refrigerator "The Fridigaire". ;)

I still refer to certain fleece fabric garments as PolarFleece, to disposible facial tissue as Kleenex, and my grandparents called every refrigerator "The Fridigaire". ;)

Funny you said that about Kleenex. I feel the same way. I bought 2 "pashminas" on my first cruise, one to use and one for a gift. I wasn't too worried about what they were made of. They served a purpose. :)

That's a little different as those are brand names associated with a certain item. Pashmina is not a brand name, it is a fabric. It is false advertising to say something is pashmina when it is rayon or acrylic just like it would be false advertising to sell "leather" purses or shoes when they are made of plastic. Same thing.

I agree that while the original usage of the term Pashmina connoted that the fabric was made from a certain place (Kashmir) and from the underbelly of the goat,

Actually, that's cashmere. Pashmina is a blend of cashmere and silk.

in the current usage of the term pashmina by most people, Pashmina has come to mean a type of wrap that is worn--regardless of type of fabric used to make it.

Since this is a fashion board, I take the leap that most people here are interested in fashion and would prefer to be educated if ignorant about common fashion items.

Having someone refer to a rayon/acrylic/polyester shawl as a pashmina, is akin to hearing someone say, "I don't have no red shoes" when they're trying to express that they don't have red shoes, and in fact are stating the opposite.

Funny you said that about Kleenex. I feel the same way. I bought 2 "pashminas" on my first cruise, one to use and one for a gift. I wasn't too worried about what they were made of. They served a purpose. :)

So, it wouldn't bother you if you went into a store and bought shoes that were plastic, yet advertised as leather? After all, they serve the same purpose?

Or you go into a restaurant and the menu says "Steak.......$8.00" and you order it, thinking you're getting quite the bargain. But instead, you're served a hamburger. Would it be be okay since they're both beef and serve the same purpose? :)

I hear ya' and that's a bit different, but you bring up an interesting point.

The biggest difference is that these are brands that were the first to create specific items. (or were the first to brand them)

Kleenex was the first disposable tissue and Fridigaire was the first refrigerator. Just like Xerox was the first photo-copier and Google was the first big internet search engine. Because these company's were the first, people got used to calling these items by their brand names before other brands cames out with similar products. Many people still say they're going to xerox something or google something.

The company's that created these items love that people do this, as they have millions of people doing free advertising for them. Nothing better than that for a money-making company. :D

Pashmina is different as it's not a brand name, nor was it the first shawl ever to be created.

I plan to print out this info, Scotch tape it to my Frigidaire, and Google it for further info!:D

Wen you're done, please xerox a copy and fed-ex it to me. It'll give me a laugh that i can wipe away with a Q-Tip. :D

FYI, unlike Pashmina which is simply the name of a fabric, these commonly used trademarks are called "Genercized Trademarks" and include:

Q-Tip

Band-aid

Jello

Popsicle

Velcro

There are others, but these are some off the top of my head.

Archived