Friends of Dorothy on Carnival?

wrs18

My understanding is that it is up to the Cruise Director, but that virtually every Carnival ship does schedule nightly FOD/GLBT gatherings.

Carnival is one cruise line that includes GLBT in the title and does not hide behind the FOD nomenclature.

It just seems like good business sense... they set the meeting spot at one of the bars or bar areas... so they sell a few drinks in the process. Usually around 5 pm before the early dinner.

I also understand that if they don't schedule a gathering, just mention it to the CD and the request is always honored. And if you want something in addition, just ask. They are agreeable and respectful.

Carnival does have Fod meetings but at inconvenient times late at night..

I requested a happy hour FOD get to gather on a recent carnival cruise and my request was refused. I get the feeling they do not want the familes around a group of homos. I requested an early happy hour get to gather on a Holland American cruise and the cruise director emailed me saying the meetings were already scheduled at 5:00 which is a great time. I have found Holland America most cooperative when it comes to FOD get together.

Dennis

319 days at sea

28 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

Holland America Statendam Oct 16th 28 nights

Carnival 7 nights Christmas 09

I requested a happy hour FOD get to gather on a recent carnival cruise and my request was refused. I get the feeling they do not want the familes around a group of homos. I requested an early happy hour get to gather on a Holland American cruise and the cruise director emailed me saying the meetings were already scheduled at 5:00 which is a great time. I have found Holland America most cooperative when it comes to FOD get together.

Dennis

Actually Dennis,

I was on Carnival Sept 6-13 with a small 18 persons GLBT group (cruising with pride) and half the group ate dinner early and half ate dinner late. I went to Pursers desk and requested the FOD/LGBT get togethers to be scheduled alternate days (early 5pm and later 9pm) to accomodate both. They had NO PROBLEM doing so and were very friendly doing so.

Perhaps on your sailing, others onboard had already asked to schedule the get togethers at the other time?? They usually schedule it (on other cruises I have been on) at 6pm. That is not good for me as I usually eat early but I am only one customer. I don't read into it any latent ill will towards gay folks.

I guess it depends on the sailing etc. Overall, I have been exptremely happy with Carnival's efforts to accomodate. Mind you, I also like cruises with 20-40 y/o's. Having sailed with my Mother on ships catering to older crowds, I prefer younger around me. (Keeps me youthful), so I choose Carnival over most other lines.

DOC

Dennis

Actually Dennis,

I was on Carnival Sept 6-13 with a small 18 persons GLBT group (cruising with pride) and half the group ate dinner early and half ate dinner late. I went to Pursers desk and requested the FOD/LGBT get togethers to be scheduled alternate days (early 5pm and later 9pm) to accomodate both. They had NO PROBLEM doing so and were very friendly doing so.

Perhaps on your sailing, others onboard had already asked to schedule the get togethers at the other time?? They usually schedule it (on other cruises I have been on) at 6pm. That is not good for me as I usually eat early but I am only one customer. I don't read into it any latent ill will towards gay folks.

I guess it depends on the sailing etc. Overall, I have been exptremely happy with Carnival's efforts to accomodate. Mind you, I also like cruises with 20-40 y/o's. Having sailed with my Mother on ships catering to older crowds, I prefer younger around me. (Keeps me youthful), so I choose Carnival over most other lines.

DOC

Hi Doc,

The cruise I was referring to was a five day cruise from Jacksonville which I hop on a couple times a year when I just need to get to sea. I suspect that on the shorter cruises especially from the heart of the bible belt Carnival is reluctant to encourage FOD meetings early when families and children are most prevalent. I hope they are more liberal on the longer cruises.

Dennis

Jacksonville

319 days at sea

28 cruises

11 cruise lines

Booked

On my Carnival Cruise last year as a gay couple, there was a "FOD/GLBT Gathering" listed every day of the cruise. (5 days on the Elation)

Not only did they list "FOD" they also used the "GLBT" nomenclature.

I was so pleased, I got a group together and we have almost 30 passengers on the 8 day Carnival Spirit.

From all my "cruising" on cruise boards, I believe Carnival has a good reputation for its treatment and welcoming of us.

I do believe that if we are going to be observant of such things, and if they are important to us, then it must be important enough to us to politely ask the Cruise Director, "why?" if we don't see appropriate listings for our gatherings.

Perhaps there are good reasons... other large groups or activities, or lack of availability of staff or space.

But any cruise passenger should feel free to discuss the matter with the Cruise Director or write a letter to management. Be polite, but let them know we are passengers with a point of view! ;)

Hi Doc,

The cruise I was referring to was a five day cruise from Jacksonville which I hop on a couple times a year when I just need to get to sea. I suspect that on the shorter cruises especially from the heart of the bible belt Carnival is reluctant to encourage FOD meetings early when families and children are most prevalent. I hope they are more liberal on the longer cruises.

Dennis

Jacksonville

319 days at sea

28 cruises

11 cruise lines

Booked

You hit the nail on the head. I have been on over 50 cruises and found it all depends on he departure port.

It has been a while (May ’06) since we sailed out of Jacksonville for five days. There was nothing in the ‘Capers’ mentioning FOD or GLBT. I grew up north of Jacksonville and indeed most are ‘set in their ways’ about GLBT acceptance and that was reinforced when we saw no mention of gatherings on that sailing. Carnival knows their targets and most likely will not include FOD/GLBT information on sailings out of Jacksonville. However as mentioned it dose not hurt to ask the CD

It has been a while (May ’06) since we sailed out of Jacksonville for five days. There was nothing in the ‘Capers’ mentioning FOD or GLBT. I grew up north of Jacksonville and indeed most are ‘set in their ways’ about GLBT acceptance and that was reinforced when we saw no mention of gatherings on that sailing. Carnival knows their targets and most likely will not include FOD/GLBT information on sailings out of Jacksonville. However as mentioned it dose not hurt to ask the CD

On the cruise from Jacksonville they did have FOD & GLBt get togethers but at 11PM...I ask for earler and it was denied.

Dennis

Archived