the Oasis of the Seas, makes its first call on Nassau on December 15, 2009

bajathree

Just found this article...looks like Nassau dredging is on target....but look what they have as the first port date:confused:

Published On:Thursday, September 17, 2009

By NEIL HARTNELL

Tribune Business Editor

More than one-third of Nassau Harbour's dredging has been completed to date, a government minister yesterday confirmed to Tribune Business, adding that the company contracted for the project has "given no indication that they will not meet" the November 14, 2009, completion date.

Dr Earl Deveaux, minister of the environment, said of the work being performed by Dutch-based Boskalis International: "Based on what is coming to me, they are going extremely well. They have completed more than one-third of the actual dredging to date.

"They have experienced some delays in respect to the volume of debris in the harbour, and have had to send divers down to remove tyres, steel. That has led to some delays, and they have lost eight hours, but beyond that, though, they are extremely well organised.

"They can readily make up those eight hours when working 24 hours a day. They're moving at full capacity, and are very efficient."

As an example of this, Dr Deveaux said Boskalis had completed dredging an area in front of the British Colonial Hilton's beach, where it had to move much debris from the ocean floor. Having accomplished this, it then moved its pipes and excavation equipment to the area and dredged it overnight, thus ensuring the operation did not disrupt incoming cruise ships and mail boats.

The minister added that Boskalis was scheduled to "be completed on or around November 14, and they've given no indication that they will not meet that".

The Nassau Harbour dredging project was commenced to widen the turning basin, so that the port could accommodate the world's largest cruise ship class, which is just being brought into service by RoyalCaribbean.

Dr Deveaux added that there was "nothing to so far indicate we won't be ready" when the Genesis class cruise ship, the Oasis of the Seas, makes its first call on Nassau on December 15, 2009.

Boskalis is having to remove some 10,000 cubic yards of fill per day to meet its completion target, with the excavated material being taken by pipeline to Arawak Cay. Some 1.4 million cubic yards will be used to extend Arawak Cay 1,000 feet to the west, where the new container shipping terminal will be located, with 600,000 cubic yards of fill stored on the cay itself.

Current arrangements for the Arawak Cay port will see it owned 40 per cent by the Government and 40 per cent by the private sector, with 20 per cent in public hands via an initial public offering (IPO). It is understood, though, that the Government and shipping companies - chiefly the 19 investors that comprise the Arawak Cay Port Development Company - have yet to finalise the details of their Memorandum of Understanding.

Dr Deveaux told Tribune Business that talks between the shipping companies and the Government were being handled by the Prime Minister's Office, but his understanding was that the share structure and size of the port's acreage had been agreed - although he had seen nothing in writing.

A Traffic Study, Economic and Social Impact Study and Environmental Impact Study have yet to be completed, with proposals by architects Lambert Knowles giving life to what engineering consultants, Halcro, had proposed in relation to the port's size and engineering aspects.

"I don't think there is any major impediment to be overcome," Dr Deveaux said.

http://www.tribune242.com/09172009_Harbour_business_Page1-Lead

Just found this article...looks like Nassau dredging is on target....but look what they have as the first port date:confused:

Published On:Thursday, September 17, 2009

By NEIL HARTNELL

Tribune Business Editor

More than one-third of Nassau Harbour's dredging has been completed to date, a government minister yesterday confirmed to Tribune Business, adding that the company contracted for the project has "given no indication that they will not meet" the November 14, 2009, completion date.

Dr Earl Deveaux, minister of the environment, said of the work being performed by Dutch-based Boskalis International: "Based on what is coming to me, they are going extremely well. They have completed more than one-third of the actual dredging to date.

"They have experienced some delays in respect to the volume of debris in the harbour, and have had to send divers down to remove tyres, steel. That has led to some delays, and they have lost eight hours, but beyond that, though, they are extremely well organised.

"They can readily make up those eight hours when working 24 hours a day. They're moving at full capacity, and are very efficient."

As an example of this, Dr Deveaux said Boskalis had completed dredging an area in front of the British Colonial Hilton's beach, where it had to move much debris from the ocean floor. Having accomplished this, it then moved its pipes and excavation equipment to the area and dredged it overnight, thus ensuring the operation did not disrupt incoming cruise ships and mail boats.

The minister added that Boskalis was scheduled to "be completed on or around November 14, and they've given no indication that they will not meet that".

The Nassau Harbour dredging project was commenced to widen the turning basin, so that the port could accommodate the world's largest cruise ship class, which is just being brought into service by RoyalCaribbean.

Dr Deveaux added that there was "nothing to so far indicate we won't be ready" when the Genesis class cruise ship, the Oasis of the Seas, makes its first call on Nassau on December 15, 2009.

Boskalis is having to remove some 10,000 cubic yards of fill per day to meet its completion target, with the excavated material being taken by pipeline to Arawak Cay. Some 1.4 million cubic yards will be used to extend Arawak Cay 1,000 feet to the west, where the new container shipping terminal will be located, with 600,000 cubic yards of fill stored on the cay itself.

Current arrangements for the Arawak Cay port will see it owned 40 per cent by the Government and 40 per cent by the private sector, with 20 per cent in public hands via an initial public offering (IPO). It is understood, though, that the Government and shipping companies - chiefly the 19 investors that comprise the Arawak Cay Port Development Company - have yet to finalise the details of their Memorandum of Understanding.

Dr Deveaux told Tribune Business that talks between the shipping companies and the Government were being handled by the Prime Minister's Office, but his understanding was that the share structure and size of the port's acreage had been agreed - although he had seen nothing in writing.

A Traffic Study, Economic and Social Impact Study and Environmental Impact Study have yet to be completed, with proposals by architects Lambert Knowles giving life to what engineering consultants, Halcro, had proposed in relation to the port's size and engineering aspects.

"I don't think there is any major impediment to be overcome," Dr Deveaux said.

http://www.tribune242.com/09172009_Harbour_business_Page1-Lead

thanks 4 the article!!!:cool::) but it appears the project completion date of november 14th will be met.

Thats the dredging Tyron....if you remember it was reported that 2 dolphins had to also to be built before she can dock there.

all the work needed including the installation of the mooring dolphins is definitely included in the project deadline. that would be totally insane

not to do so.

when we arrive in nassau on friday, december 11th....i'll have a drink for the completed project. LOL:cool::D

check this out...

http://www.best.bs/Webdocs/01-NHPIP%20TOWN%20HALL%20MEETING%20NOTES%20AND%20SLIDES.pdf

Ya MON:p I wish you luck....however I have been frequenting the Bahamas for over 30yrs now and wouldn't hold my breath on deadlines, as this project was well over 6 months delayed from start in the first place. What I found interesting is that Dec 15th date they gave is the day that Oasis is supposed to port in the very questionable St Thomas...check the dates.

Ya MON:p I wish you luck....however I have been frequenting the Bahamas for over 30yrs now and wouldn't hold my breath on deadlines, as this project was well over 6 months delayed from start in the first place. What I found interesting is that Dec 15th date they gave is the day that Oasis is supposed to port in the very questionable St Thomas...check the dates.

LOL! We'll get there even if we have to use the Majesty or the Monarch as temporary mooring dolphins. LOL

LOL! We'll get there even if we have to use the Majesty or the Monarch as temporary mooring dolphins. LOL

Well no one cares anyway...as Nassau is a port that everyone wishs wasn't on the itinerary to begin with and ya all are going for the ship anyway....so who cares if ports aren't ready;)

The only person I would have confidence in meeting the deadline would of been Sol Kerzner...and that is who was supposed to been footing the majority of the bill in the first place......to bad he pulled out...that is what delayed the project to begin with as they weren't figuring on that happening :rolleyes:

In all honest Tyron....I don't think think even RCCL knows what ports are going to be ready at this point.....think it's just a wait and see.

Well no one cares anyway...as Nassau is a port that everyone wishs wasn't on the itinerary to begin with and ya all are going for the ship anyway....so who cares if ports aren't ready;)

The only person I would have confidence in meeting the deadline would of been Sol Kerzner...and that is who was supposed to been footing the majority of the bill in the first place......to bad he pulled out...that is what delayed the project to begin with as they weren't figuring on that happening :rolleyes:

In all honest Tyron....I don't think think even RCCL knows what ports are going to be ready at this point.....think it's just a wait and see.

Steve, I agree...who knows what port will or will not be ready.:rolleyes: I hope that RCI doesnt play any games and notifies people ASAP....for some certain ports are a deal breaker.

OP since by the listing of your up and coming sailings I do not see and Oasis cruises on your iten. I am understandably curious as to your great interest in all the goings on regarding the possible missing of ports on the early cruises of Oasis?

Are you CC's RCL related appointed news hound?

Or do you have another motive?

And I can not see how any of the ports can be a "deal breaker" RCL has other ships that sail to Nassau & St. Thomas anyone could have booked on those ships in total confidence that they could have made port, weather & equipment permitting. No one had to book on Oasis at a higher cost to do these ports, so I for one do not buy that argument.

One had to figure that there might have been problems.

OP since by the listing of your up and coming sailings I do not see and Oasis cruises on your iten. I am understandably curious as to your great interest in all the goings on regarding the possible missing of ports on the early cruises of Oasis?

Are you CC's RCL related appointed news hound?

Or do you have another motive?

And I can not see how any of the ports can be a "deal breaker" RCL has other ships that sail to Nassau & St. Thomas anyone could have booked on those ships in total confidence that they could have made port, weather & equipment permitting. No one had to book on Oasis at a higher cost to do these ports, so I for one do not buy that argument.

One had to figure that there might have been problems.

The OP was/is apart of the pre-inaugural and inaugural roll calls....and the thread is "topic of discussion" for anyone who wants to engage in such.

I guess you're oblivious to how many cruisers feel about missing ports...a lot of ships have almost had "mutiny" type confrontations from disgruntled passengers that miss ports due to hurricanes, swine flu, etc. So why wouldn't you think "some" wouldn't have an issue with missing one of the Oasis' scheduled ports.

The OP was/is apart of the pre-inaugural and inaugural roll calls....and the thread is "topic of discussion" for anyone who wants to engage in such.

I guess you're oblivious to how many cruisers feel about missing ports...a lot of ships have almost had "mutiny" type confrontations from disgruntled passengers that miss ports due to hurricanes, swine flu, etc. So why wouldn't you think "some" wouldn't have an issue with missing one of the Oasis' scheduled ports.

I'm "oblivious" to nothing.

When I see a poster in a thread unrelated to a cruise they are on I wonder why!

Yes EVERYONE has the right to be here, including ME.

And everyone has the right to ask civil questions. Explain to me how mine wasn't.

And the only way I *might* mutiny on a ship is if the Captain said my wife & I could not board a life boat as the ship was sinking. Every thing else I've learned to try to take in stride. Sometimes it isn't easy, but I try my best.

Archived