FAMILY Ocean View cabins?

TwoWeebles

When I tried recently to book a Family Inside stateroom on the Independence, the RCCL rep was unable to do it... she said a minimum of 5 were needed to book, but closer to sailing if they were still available they would open the bookings to fewer than 5.

Now, oddly enough, on the very next day I was checking the site for my sailing and found when I put in 3 passengers that the (very same) FIS (that I tried by phone to book the night before) was available to book online!!! I jumped on it and booked that room right then and there! I went ahead and cancelled the room I had alternately booked the night before and have been happy ever since!

I suggest you try to book by phone and hope for the best!

Good Luck!

A~

The FOV's are my favorite cabin. I booked one 3 weeks out and one 6 months out for 4 people. It's myself and 3 kids, so a regular cabin or connecting don't work well for us. We just got off Radiance in a FOV. I love the layouts.

I am assuming they are more expensive than the Large OV cabins? I wish they would post the price online even if you can't book it there.

They are only slightly (maybe $100- $300 total) more expensive than a large oceanview - when I book online for 4. They are less than a D1. If they are not showing up online, it means they're holding it for a group of 5 or 6. If they haven't sold, they may open up at around 6 months for groups of 4 or less and then you would be able to see it online. People also may cancel for various reasons, so even if it says sold out, if you keep checking online, you may be lucky and pick one up.

I am assuming they are more expensive than the Large OV cabins? I wish they would post the price online even if you can't book it there.

I don;t know if this is standard, but it might give you an idea. When I booked the FIS (a Promenade Cabin), we paid more for the first 2 passengers than the most expensive OV, and less than the least expensive for a balcony.... hope that makes sense! The second and third passengers were about the same as an Inside.

So, if I were to venture a guess, you will pay more for a FOV for the first two passengers than you would for a Standard Ocean View, but the same for your third, fourth, fifth and sixth passengers. Of course you are getting a cabin that is about twice the size of a standard cabin, so the extra$$$ is justifiable, IMHO.

Be sure to come back and post what your experience with prices is after you call... it is a very good topic!

A~

They are only slightly (maybe $100- $300 total) more expensive than a large oceanview - when I book online for 4. They are less than a D1. If they are not showing up online, it means they're holding it for a group of 5 or 6. If they haven't sold, they may open up at around 6 months for groups of 4 or less and then you would be able to see it online. People also may cancel for various reasons, so even if it says sold out, if you keep checking online, you may be lucky and pick one up.

Your estimate is right on. In our case we paid about $200. more total for the FIS (based on first two passengers) than we would have for a PR.

HTH

A~

I believe you can find some good deals on the FOV. We just booked a 10 day Panama cruise on the Jewel in January for less than what two OV (no balconies) would have been for a 7 day Western itinerary. You do need to use a TA or call them directly to get any pricing info.

I would be interested to hear about the layout of these rooms from anyone who has stayed in them. The layout drawing and the 360 degree view differ significantly. One appears to have 2 vanity areas and lots of storage and the other no vanity & little storage. We are currently in 8500 but there are still two other available so we could switch if need be.

I've sailed in 2 different FOV's. One was 6500 on the Navigator and one was 8502 on Radiance. Their layouts differed significantly. The one common denominator is that they are at the very front of the ship. Great for getting exercise.

On deck plans, the 6500 appears as a long rectangle. The layout was essentially like a standard cabin, except elongated plus the closet. The "closet" contained 2 bunkbeds plus some shelving. There was a curtain that separated this area from the main cabin. It was right to the main door, across from the bathroom. I would estimate that this area was about 5 1/2 feet by 5 1/2 feet. Perfect for my 2 kids who were 11 and 8 at the time, but not something I would recommend for adults. There were 2 large porthole windows. The sitting area was between the "closet" and the bed. It was more spacious than a typical cabin, but had the layout. The sitting area was separated from the main bed by a retractable curtain. The main bed area was also more spacious than a typical cabin and (I believe) had an upholstered chair.

8502 appears like a square on deckplans. It is divided into 2 halves. One half contains the bathroom (standard cabin size) plus the sitting area. There were 2 chairs plus a sofa in the sitting area. More spacious than a typical cabin. 4-6 could sit here comfortably. There was a single large porthole window. The other half of the cabin was split into 2 sleeping areas. One was the "kids" room. This area had a regular bed plus a pullman. The closets were downright spacious. The other room had the 2 twins, plus a desk. Although it was against the hull, there was no window. There was also a mid-size closet here. Both sleeping areas were about 10X10. The sleeping areas were separated from the sitting area by curtains.

IMO, I prefer the square layout on Radiance - it felt more spacious. There was definitely more closet space in this room. However, both rooms were great and gave us plenty of room.

HTH

Was on the Jewel Fov and It had a bed that curtained off. it had a small sofa that folded out to a bed and a room with a door that only had 1 bed. it was spacious.Only 1 vanity.

You wouldn't happen to remember what room number it was do you? We have a family of 5 so I like the idea of bunk beds as opposed to the kids having to share a pull out.

I've sailed in 2 different FOV's. One was 6500 on the Navigator and one was 8502 on Radiance. Their layouts differed significantly. The one common denominator is that they are at the very front of the ship. Great for getting exercise.

On deck plans, the 6500 appears as a long rectangle. The layout was essentially like a standard cabin, except elongated plus the closet. The "closet" contained 2 bunkbeds plus some shelving. There was a curtain that separated this area from the main cabin. It was right to the main door, across from the bathroom. I would estimate that this area was about 5 1/2 feet by 5 1/2 feet. Perfect for my 2 kids who were 11 and 8 at the time, but not something I would recommend for adults. There were 2 large porthole windows. The sitting area was between the "closet" and the bed. It was more spacious than a typical cabin, but had the layout. The sitting area was separated from the main bed by a retractable curtain. The main bed area was also more spacious than a typical cabin and (I believe) had an upholstered chair.

8502 appears like a square on deckplans. It is divided into 2 halves. One half contains the bathroom (standard cabin size) plus the sitting area. There were 2 chairs plus a sofa in the sitting area. More spacious than a typical cabin. 4-6 could sit here comfortably. There was a single large porthole window. The other half of the cabin was split into 2 sleeping areas. One was the "kids" room. This area had a regular bed plus a pullman. The closets were downright spacious. The other room had the 2 twins, plus a desk. Although it was against the hull, there was no window. There was also a mid-size closet here. Both sleeping areas were about 10X10. The sleeping areas were separated from the sitting area by curtains.

IMO, I prefer the square layout on Radiance - it felt more spacious. There was definitely more closet space in this room. However, both rooms were great and gave us plenty of room.

HTH

Thanks for the detailed description. I looked on the deck plans & 360 views of these rooms and I can see what you mean - they are very different. It's humorous though since the layout drawing is the same for both (and the same one is given for our Jewel room). I'm glad to hear that you felt there was ample storage in each.

Thanks for all of the replies. Gives me lots to think about. I am not ready to book yet, as I don't even know if we can pull off this vacation next June. But I REALLY REALLY want to! I keep checking prices every day and so far, no changes. I will wait a couple of months and see what happens.

Has anyone stayed in a Family Promenade room on the Freedom? I assume this looks out on the promenade? What are these rooms like? I wonder if they are cheaper than the FOV's? I love to people watch, but I also love to watch the ocean out the window and I am afraid that my husband would want the curtains closed at all times if we did a promenade room.

I just booked a last minute cruise on Freedom of the Seas for November. We got a Family Oceanview cabin for 2 adults/2 kids. I booked room 7500 but after looking at the deck plans, the cabins on the other decks look bigger. Is this just the diagram or is there really a difference???

By the way, its our First RCI cruise, looking forward to a change!!!

You wouldn't happen to remember what room number it was do you? We have a family of 5 so I like the idea of bunk beds as opposed to the kids having to share a pull out.

We were on deck 8 overlooking the heli port sorry if you really need it I will find it

Darlene

We were on deck 8 overlooking the heli port sorry if you really need it I will find it

Darlene

thanks Darlene, that's what I thought. We had a hold on 8500 which is what I thought you were describing and this morning I switched it over to one on the side (8002) based on some other's feedback. I know the view would be nice but with 5 of us, I really thought the extra vanity area would be nice.

I just booked a last minute cruise on Freedom of the Seas for November. We got a Family Oceanview cabin for 2 adults/2 kids. I booked room 7500 but after looking at the deck plans, the cabins on the other decks look bigger. Is this just the diagram or is there really a difference???

By the way, its our First RCI cruise, looking forward to a change!!!

We just booked a FOV on the jewel and according to our TA, the layout may be different between rooms but the square footage is the same. I wish it was clearer. I did a few searches on here and found some photos that others had shared and I ended up selecting based on the layout that I thought would work best for our family. On the deck plan the room I ended up choosing looks smaller, but I liked the layout better. I guess I'll see in January if I made the right call!

Archived