Several *Newbie* Cruiser Questions…

Dani2

Our son gave us a cruise for Christmas. We will be sailing on the Pride of Aloha on May 1st. We will have an inside cabin, but that's all I know about the cabin at this point. I have read hundreds of post but still have several that I haven't seen addressed. If you could help we would be so very appreciative.

I have some (dumb?) questions: (We are cruise virgins. )

1. What is the price of a BEER on the ship?

2. What is the price of a SODA on the ship?

3. Does the ship provide robes or beach towels? Free or rentals? Take off the ship?

4. Luaus~which one did you like best and how much does it cost? Does the ship provide a luau?

5. How do we get from the airport to the ship? (Taxi or shuttle?)

6. Which on board entertainment is the best. Do the shows cost extra?

7. Which EXCURSIONS do you recommend and how much did you pay? (Did you book thru the ship or the internet or after you got there? I've read most are cheaper if you book on your own.)

8. Are butane curling irons allowed on the airplane in checked luggage? (It uses those little butane cartridges.)

9. Are the showers tub or stall? (In the cheap seats…er…ahh cabins.) I'm bringing a new shower curtain to hang up as I read several posts that they were dirty and ripped in some rooms. (Yes, I'm anal about these things and am bring my own sheets, too. :( )

10. Are the electrical out lets on the Pride of Aloha 3-prong or 2-prong?

11. Are there good places to snorkel on your own at any of the ports? We are not SERIOUS snorkelers. But, is it worth bringing our snorkel stuff?

We are senior citizens. I'm 62 and my husband is 71, but we are not feeble. I did have knee replacement surgery and really long walks are a pain right now. Hopefully it will be better by May. My husband has a ruptured disk in his back and he doesn't like to walk REALLY far. We both love water activities and I think we would both be happy just playing at the beach most of the time and exploring the ship. Plus some shopping.

Speaking of shopping, I saw a few references to a 'swap meet' or 'farmers market', something like that. Now I can't find the messages, but the people really enjoyed this. Which island is that on and please post any *particulars' you care to share.

I have inquired by email about a snorkel excursion I saw on the internet. It is called "Sea Quest" on the Kona Coast. Has anyone done this excursion? Do you recommend it?

http://www.seaquesthawaii.com/offer.html

Thank you again and Happy New Year!

Dani

I can possibly help you with a few of your questions.

1. I think the beer is about $3-4 a bottle. There are fridges in your cabin and they usually run a special where you buy 5 and get one free.

2. If you drink a lot of soda, you can purchase a sticker for your sign and sail card for about $29. It's good for unlimited sodas (not canned). I think canned soda was about $2-3.

3. You probably won't get a robe in an inside cabin (usually only mini-suites and above). Towels for use on board are available at pools and spas. Beach towels are usually available when you are disembarking at ports. You sign for them and there is no charge when they are returned.

6. The shows are all included in your cruise. Check your daily newsletter for listings. Usually have one stage show each night along with cabaret type performances in various bars each evening.

8. Might be best to check with airline about the curling iron. If it's a flame producing thing, the cruise line may not allow it either. I know no irons are allowed because of fire prevention rules.

9. The shower will be a circular stall type.

10. Electrical outlets are 3-prong type and you don't need voltage adapters. There are not many of them in the cabin (I think 1 in the bathroom and 1 or 2 in the cabin itself. Some people take an extension cord or one of those power strips. We don't plug that much stuff in so haven't bothered with that.

You will have a great time. Cruising is a very relaxing way to vacation.

Shoot. I posted but I don't know where it went.

Take a taxi to the ship from the airport or from your hotel. It's much faster and it doesn't cost that much more.

If you don't have a robe in your room, it doesn't hurt to ask.

We take our own snorkling stuff. We like to explore the beaches on our own and if your have your stuff with you then you can snorkle whenever the mood hits you.

I am going to expand on one of the replies. We always take a power strip with us. We plug in a hair blower, curling iron, nite lite, and camera chargers for both video and digital cameras. Be sure to take a 2-prong adaptor plug to plug the power bar in to. The one outlet in the main cabin is recessed and your three prong plug from the power bar will not fit into the outlet directly. With today's health standards plus the location you are going to you really do not need to take your sheets. First of all, the islands of Hawaii have few bugs and secondly the rooms are regularily sanitized. Remember, Hawaii is a domestic location therefore your baggage allowance on the plane is only 50# per bag, limit two per person plus a carry-on per person. As far as packing goes, Hawaii is a casual experience. You will not need a lot of fancy clothes although I recommend wearing your finest on formal night as that is a great part of the whole cruising experience.I might add that the inside rooms are very small and you really don't want 4 suitcases in the room with you.

Depending on where you presently live, doing the volcano tour on Hawaii is something you should seriously consider. We did the ship's tour and there wasn't a lot of walking which is critical for both of us also. Although expensive, try to do a helicopter tour of either Maui or Kauai-both beautiful islands.......It is the only way you get to see the NaPali coast on Kauai. You are going at just about the perfect time in Hawaii as far as weather goes. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!

I'll expand a bit on the snorkelling - Hawaii has a lot of great snorkel spots, we took our gear and were glad we did. Most of the best snorkel spots are not within walking distance of the ship, however - we got rental cars - check about shuttle service from the ship, it was available with Budget at Hilo and Lihue, but not in Kona (though Hertz did offer a shuttle there)

About the only port of call where Snorkeling isn't a great option is Hilo - the windward side of the Big Island is a bit rough and rocky for really good snorkels, but the Kona side is superb - we particularly enjoyed the snorkeling at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau just south of Kona (though there are a billion good snorkel spots there), and at Molokini off Lahaina, which you reach by boat. There's also good snorkeling at the Poipu area in Kuai and just outside Honolulu.

One caveat - we have really long fins, which are rough entering from shore - better suited to boats - it wouldn't be bad to bring some shorter fins.

The point about the power strip is really good if you have a lot of electricals.

I can't speak to any of the details about the pride, and we didn't snorkel in Keahou bay, so I don't know the excursion, but I'm sure you'll have a great time in Hawaii.

Aloha!

To be honest, anal or not, bringing your own sheets isn't a good idea. What are you going to do with them? Are you going to launder them yourself? Don't think that's possible unless the ship has a self service laundry. And if you send them out to the ship's laundry, they're going to be washed in the same way the regular sheets are, so there's no difference. Then there's the issue of having to pack them in your luggage. With all the requirements the airlines have with regards to luggage size and weight, you're going to take up a lot of valuable space and weight in your luggage packing sheets. Also, sheets on a cruise ship are very, very clean, so there's really no problem with that. If you want to be concerned about anything, it's the mattresses that are the real problem in any public place such as hotels and cruise ships, not the sheets.

If you booked transfers from the airport to the ship, then all you have to do is look for the NCL reps at baggage claim and they will take you to the port. Otherwise, a taxi is the best bet.

If you want to buy things like Hawaiian print shirts and dresses, Hilo Hatties is the best place for that. If you can, go to their factory in Honolulu and shop at their factory store. Some really good prices.

You can tour the islands on your own, and it will be much cheaper. Just make sure you get back to the ship at least 30 minutes before the ship sails for the next port.

You will want to be careful with how much you pack. Lots of airlines only allow 2 pcs each person with a weight limit of 50 pounds each bag. Taking sheets, pillows towels etc will bulk up your limits. (I take along clothes pins to clip the bottom of the shower curtain so it doesnt touch me.)

Here is a web site directed for your ship. http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/prideofaloha.htm

it has pictures, etc about your particular cruise

Aloha and Mahalo to each of you! I know my questions were trivial compared to others. But knowing these things ahead of time, and being prepared, can make such a difference.

I promise I will work on the *anal* stuff, but I figure that if 62 years didn't fix me, 4 months isn't gonna do it either. But I REALLY do want to take a shower curtain. (I'll leave it on the ship.) When you say "circular shower", would a regular tub size shower curtain be the right fit or the stall shower size?

I thank each of you so very much! I'm off to get snorkel equipment (with short fins :). (Right! Like I'm gonna find that in January! :rolleyes: ) And I'll call the TA about the butane curling iron.

Dani

I'm trying to think of just how big the opening on the shower was and I don't think it was as much as a tub shower. Maybe closer to a stall shower size. It has to be long enough to go all the way to the floor because there is only about a 1-2" lip keeping the water inside the shower. There are no self-service laundries on the POA (I was on when she was the Sky).

I'm trying to think of just how big the opening on the shower was and I don't think it was as much as a tub shower. Maybe closer to a stall shower size. It has to be long enough to go all the way to the floor because there is only about a 1-2" lip keeping the water inside the shower. There are no self-service laundries on the POA (I was on when she was the Sky).

Thank you, Bigal!

I'll just get a regular shower curtain liner. Too BIG is better than too small. (Oh boy! I've provided a great straight line for someone, I'm sure. ;) )

And I just got back from Costco and found some snorkel sets that are good enough for us amateurs and only $35 per set. All silicone and SHORT fins. The masks are not the oval kind I'm used to. They are like aviator glasses with the silicone nose piece and around the glasses. I think they might fit better than most inexpensive sets I've seen. They even have a *gear bag* included. I live in Oregon and we are expecting a week of snow starting Friday. I sure got *the looks* hauling out two snorkel sets today. :eek: LOL

It seems like *getting ready* is half the fun.

117 days until Hawaii!

Dani

P.S. Did anyone try POI? Is it icky?

We have not cruised to Hawaii but have visited Hawaii numerous times. You asked about the luau. We have always gone to the Marriott Luau on Maui on Kaanapali Beach. I have heard that the Old Lahaina Luau is very good also. They are both rather expensive but perhaps the ship has a reduced price. I think the Marriott Luau is about $75/person. We thoroughly enjoyed it every time we have gone. Have a great cruise!

Your curling iron is allowed; however, the butane fuel is not allowed in either checked or carry-on luggage. This is an FAA hazardous material rule and can be found here, under Pressure Containers:

http://asi.faa.gov/these.asp

After you get to Hawai'i, buy the butane cartridges in Wal-Mart, Kmart, etc. But don't try to bring them home with you!

Think you've gotten some wonderful advice and I really don't have anything to add . . . except . . . as the mother of a twenty-six year old son who asked, "Mom, what do you want for your birthday?" . . . I think I now have the answer! Tee Hee . . . what a fantastic son you have!!!!!!!!!!

Archived