Food Questions on Sapphire Princess

cheezenip

Hello All,

I will be on the Sapphire in approx 3 weeks and I have a few food questions to ask previous passengers.

Salad Bar Questions at the Horizon Court Buffet:

-- Does anyone remember what was included at the salad bar? For example, my ideal salad would include leafy lettuces (not iceberg), carrots, broccoli, chick peas, cucumbers, green pepper, radish, and alfalfa sprouts. Realistically, I don't expect Princess to have all these items each day/night so I was wondering what they did offer?

-- What salad dressings were offered? I'm particularly interested if they offered a balsamic vinagrette, honey mustard, caesar dressing (both vinagrette and creamy version), and a raspberry vinaigrette (preferably on the tart side). Again, I realize the chances are slim to offer each type but I'm curious if anyone remembered (I might bring my own sald dressings if the selection is limited).

Fruit Questions at the Horizon Court Buffet:

-- do they offer kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries?

Ice Cream Question:

-- I understand that now offer free soft serve ice cream. Does it really taste like soft ice cream or more like ice milk?

Sushi Questions:

-- a previous post mentioned that free sushi is offered at the Vines if you order wine? Am I correct to assume you can't get free sushi at the Vines if you don't order anything? What are the times that free sushi is offered at the Vines?

-- outside of the Vines, when and where is sushi offered?

Portions during dinner at the main dining room:

-- can anyone describe how big the main entrees are during dinner? I'm the type that likes to try alot of stuff and I was able to order 2 to 3 different entrees each night on Carnival because their portions weren't that big. On RCCL, I could only order 2 entrees since the serving size were larger.

I'm really into food (if you haven't noticed) but I am also realistic enough not to expect high end fine-dining restaurant quality.

Any other food insight would greatly be appreciated.

I'll try to answer some of the question.

As for as the salads and dressing go, I'm a meat and potato guy.

In the buffet, the fruit offered is generally the mellons, pineapple and kiwi as a garnish around the edges. some time there will be the berries with the kiwi.

Soft serve Ice cream must be new. Have not seen soft serve on a ship since the early 90's

They should have an Aisan day in the buffet and sushi is served near the pool at the door to the buffet.

Vines, I think is on deck 5 (plaza) where the Captain's Circle hostess was. I do not know if the Sapphire has had the refitting with the change.

You can order as many dinners as you want. They are a good portion and most people would find it hard to eat more that 2 main courses with everything else available.

I was last on the Sapphire in May of 09. I really enjoy this ship. I hope you do also.

The salad bar has what I would call a spring mix as well as iceberg. I don't remember seeing sprouts at all, but lots of other veggies to add in -- cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas (I'm not a pepper person, so that I don't remember and I want to say chickpeas, but I'm not positive). Can't help with the dressing as I'm a blue cheese girl.

There was sushi at HC one day for lunch, but more California Roll type, but there was some shrimp and salmon -- don't remember any tuna.

We found the portions in the dining room on the small side which allowed for more than one or extra dessert. We found the food to be good to excellent.

-- can anyone describe how big the main entrees are during dinner? I'm the type that likes to try alot of stuff and I was able to order 2 to 3 different entrees each night on Carnival because their portions weren't that big. On RCCL, I could only order 2 entrees since the serving size were larger.

I'm really into food (if you haven't noticed) but I am also realistic enough not to expect high end fine-dining restaurant quality.

I am a growing girl (front to back) and don't care for a lot of breads, appetizers, or desserts. The serving size was an insult to my eyeball and appetite:p. Once I ordered either shrimp or seafood nuburg and got 4 little shrimp covered in sauce, with a scoop of rice...pffffffff! I must admit most 'normal' people enjoy several courses so 4 little shrimps laying on a plate would be perfectly fine as the main course, but not for this growing girl. As for the lobster it took me a while to find it under the broccoli floret. Luckily my kids decided they did not like lobster so I had a duty to finish theirs. The second, maybe third was a bit dry but butter made everything better. The pork chops was good, better after the second, Ok third one, who is counting. I asked about the serving size after my first cruise and learned they were smaller to cut back on waste. If you know that your appetizer or eating habit is out of the norm (no appetizers, snacks or desserts) go ahead and order more.

Overall I did not care for the food in the MDR because most items were gussied up with sauce. I always found something in the buffet satisfying.

2251396290101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Salad Bar Questions at the Horizon Court Buffet:

-- Does anyone remember what was included at the salad bar? For example, my ideal salad would include leafy lettuces (not iceberg), carrots, broccoli, chick peas, cucumbers, green pepper, radish, and alfalfa sprouts. Realistically, I don't expect Princess to have all these items each day/night so I was wondering what they did offer? Most of this every day - alfalfa occasionally

-- What salad dressings were offered? I'm particularly interested if they offered a balsamic vinagrette, honey mustard, caesar dressing (both vinagrette and creamy version), and a raspberry vinaigrette (preferably on the tart side). Again, I realize the chances are slim to offer each type but I'm curious if anyone remembered (I might bring my own sald dressings if the selection is limited). They have oil and vinegar to allow you to make your own dressing (you might have to ask a steward where it is) and creamy caesar. Not sure about the others

Fruit Questions at the Horizon Court Buffet:

-- do they offer kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries? depends very much on what was available. I have never seen blueberries.

Ice Cream Question:

-- I understand that now offer free soft serve ice cream. Does it really taste like soft ice cream or more like ice milk? It tastes like soft ice cream

Sushi Questions:

-- a previous post mentioned that free sushi is offered at the Vines if you order wine? Am I correct to assume you can't get free sushi at the Vines if you don't order anything? What are the times that free sushi is offered at the Vines? There is no Vines on the Sapphire yet

-- outside of the Vines, when and where is sushi offered? Horizon Court and they may have a special lunch sushi by the pool (look in the Patter)

-- can anyone describe how big the main entrees are during dinner? I'm the type that likes to try alot of stuff and I was able to order 2 to 3 different entrees each night on Carnival because their portions weren't that big. On RCCL, I could only order 2 entrees since the serving size were larger. Each entree is a full meal if you order 2 or 3 then you will have 2 or 3 full entrees or one heck of a lot of food

I'm really into food (if you haven't noticed) but I am also realistic enough not to expect high end fine-dining restaurant quality. I thought the food was excellent on the Sapphire not high end fine-dining but certainly well above the standard of the average chain restaurant

If you go to the Spa please say hello to Kelly from Paul :) thank you!

Archived