Sea Sick Medication - Needed or Not?

stefyo

are there side affects to bodine?

Yes,, you don't get to vomit or feel dizzy.. LOL ,, just kidding,, one side affect with some seasick medicines,, and only for some poeple,, is feeling a bit drowsy.

I have found taking a small preventative dose each day makes one immune to that side effect. I take 1/2 pill in morning, and 1/2 pill at night, and find it is just enough to keep any seasickness at bay,, and not enough to make me drowsy. The Bonnine we get in Canada has a different active ingriendent then the stuff in the States and Caribbean, I find your stuff does not make me drowsy at all!

I don't typically get motion sickness, but you never know when the boat might run into a rough patch that affects you more strongly for whatever reason.

I take a non-drowsy Bonine every morning, just in case. Doesn't make me sleepy and I can still enjoy a few drinks!! Having taken something helps with the "mind over matter" part of it too.

this is our first time cruising - do we need some sort of sea sickness medication?? We have a boat and jet ski so we have been on the water before but never on a cruise ship.

if you think we need something could you recommend something and where we can find it??

Thanks!!! :D

Let me start by sailing I love the water and boats and ferries in general so I did not feel Sea Sickness would be an issue, but for my first cruise I purchases over the counter dramamine - just in case. I was VERY Sick. My second cruise I got a Sea Sickness patch from my Doctor. You change the patches every 3 days. They worked WONDERFUL and I did not have a problem at all during the whole cruise - and there were a couple of days that the waters were really rough. There were no side effects to the patches. My advise - better safe then sorry. Try the patches...

Another vote for Bonine. And don't believe those people who say the ship is so large you hardly feel it move. You feel it a lot more than you think you would. A lot depends on the sea conditions. And the motion is much different than a car or airplane. I don't get motion sickness in cars or planes, but get very queasy on a ship if I forget to take the medicine. You can buy it before-hand or get it free from Guest Services on the ship. The brand they use on the ship is "Sea-Calm", which I believe is a generic version of Bonine.

Wow lots of advice on this one. Well here is my 2 cents worth. I also take the less drowsy Dramamine - 1 a day starting before I get on the plane and continue until I get off the ship and home. If we hit a rough patch I pop an extra. Usually works well and DH and kids do the same. Only time the Dramamine didn't work was when we went on a catamaran tour and it was quite wavey. I took 2 maybe even 3 and still had my head hanging over the edge! I think I'm going to also try the ginger pills everyone keeps mentioning as an extra caution. Thanks!

I use the "Patch". My doc writes me a script, filled at the local drug store, put behind the ear at least 1 to 2 days before cruising; change out the patch on the second cruise day - to date, never had a problem:).

One cruise, I put the patch on, in the car, on the way to the terminal. Though I didn't get sick, I felt the difference between putting it on a day or two prior to cruising.

Ski boat vs cruise ship. The slow easy motion of a cruise effects the inner ear of some people. Thankfully I do not get sea sick. I bought a bottle of generic meclizine (MEK li zeen) prior to my first cruise, just in case. I have never had to take any. A bottle of 100 tabs cost the same as a 10 pack of Bomine. It is usually kept behind the pharmacy counter. It is the same as: Brand names: Antivert, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine II, Medivert, Driminate II, Meclicot, Ru-Vert-M, Meni-D. I have given most of the bottle to people in rooms around me when they get ill.

I would use the Transderm Scop, also known by the generic name Scopalamine. It's the patch that goes behind the ear. You will see everyone wearing them on the cruise. They are great because one patch lasts 3 days so you don't have to worry about it everyday, and to me at least, it beats remembering to take a pill everyday. The only downside is you need to see your doctor and get a prescription, and it can be a bit pricey. Beats getting sick on vacation though. Enjoy your cruise!

Went boating a lot as a kid; never got sick. Went on a glass bottom boat ride once and got nauseous. So....First cruise I used the patch behind the ear "just in case" and was still a little nauseous/dizzy. Next cruise; same thing. Next cruise I put the patch on a day before; nauseous and dizzy before I even got on the ship. Took off the patch and was fine without it. Now I have Bonine available in case I need it, but usually don't need it. If you feel a little nauseous, the best thing to do is go out on deck and breath the fresh air. It helps tremendously.

Moral of this story is...don't just assume you are going to be sick and take something. Sometimes the side effects of the medication are worse than the problem.

Archived