Do I need a backup for United?

jayhjay

I know this is all speculation/crystal ball stuff, but do you all think I need a back up plan for a United Flight in April? The problem is I sail out of SJ so flights are limited and there is no way to just drive there if I can't fly. We originally looked in to Spirit but the times were terrible and they all had connections. Now I am wondering if I should get tickets on Spirit as a backup. Two problems: 1) I would have to use my credit for the cancelled tickets (minus $25) within a year, and 2) I have to cancel within 24 hours of use. So will I know for sure by then I am on a United flight? I would have to make ressies for day of cruise in order to know 24 hours ahead if I can fly on my United flight. And even then it would be tricky b/c I'd still have to cancel before I was actually on the UA flight.

Do you think it is a good idea? Or am I panicking? Or does it make more sense to cancel my United flight now and book through Spirit? I would pay United fees, but I wouldn't have to worry about the whole 24 hours notice thing. Any thoughts?

Archived