Noro (GI) - Xpedition veterans

Kami's pal

Hi mmark14-Also booked the 8/19 cruise. Will continue to watch this thread for further updates. Haven't started my Pepto routine yet, but will do so in three weeks! First ,getting ready for trip to India. Will stay in touch on the boards.

Nolan from Davie Fl. (near Ft. Lauderdale).

This might be the harbinger we've all been hoping for.

I agree. Xpedition is a great concept. I loved the entire product: the combination of Quito, the Marriott, the enthusiasm of the guides, Galapagos and the luxury of a new, small ship and the charming hospitality of her crew and the naturalists. :D

My disappointment has been that RCCL didn't act soon enough nor honestly when the viral problem clearly hurt so many people. Ignoring, denying, blaming the ocean water (that snorkelers swam through polluted silt), and especially, blaming the passengers without even looking for the other factors that allowed the incidents and incidence to climb and climb just was not a classy operation.

I'm hoping that those who left yesterday can report that conditions are normal. For a 'tourista' problem, I do believe that means no more than 2% reporting illness to the doctor, because we know that GI problems are normally under reported, perhaps by a factor of 10.

The following appeared in a recent Associated Press article. It shows how hard it can be to diagnose travel illnesses and that things in the Galapagos can be even worse that what has happened on Xpedition. I'm watching this thread closely since we will be on Xpedition on May 1 and hope that things are headed in the right direction.

A Minnesota town is the namesake of Brainerd diarrhea, first identified there in 1984. Dr. Robert Tauxe, head of foodborne illness at the CDC, calls it "diarrhea for life." It sickened 200 people on successive voyages on a small boat around the Galapagos Islands in 1992. A 1998 report on the outbreak found many still suffering from it.

"We've studied it extensively, but to this day we don't know the cause of this yet. We don't know if it's a virus or bacteria or what," Tauxe said.

The following appeared in a recent Associated Press article. It shows how hard it can be to diagnose travel illnesses and that things in the Galapagos can be even worse that what has happened on Xpedition. I'm watching this thread closely since we will be on Xpedition on May 1 and hope that things are headed in the right direction.

A Minnesota town is the namesake of Brainerd diarrhea, first identified there in 1984. Dr. Robert Tauxe, head of foodborne illness at the CDC, calls it "diarrhea for life." It sickened 200 people on successive voyages on a small boat around the Galapagos Islands in 1992. A 1998 report on the outbreak found many still suffering from it.

"We've studied it extensively, but to this day we don't know the cause of this yet. We don't know if it's a virus or bacteria or what," Tauxe said.

So if I make some deductions here, I ask if perhaps what happened to me and so many more was this particular pathogen that was first discovered in Minnesota, and then again in passengers on a tour in Galapagos in 1992. Maybe I wasn't so far off when I dubbed my bug "Galapagos Gallop". Makes sense too, for it to be in Galapagos. It should be evolving differently. Isn't that what's so special about Galapagos? Darwin must be chuckling. ;)

Sure would think that this would interest some scientists though. Anyone out there need a Ph. D. topic? Just think, maybe you could do it in Galapagos.

Hi mmark14-Also booked the 8/19 cruise. Will continue to watch this thread for further updates. Haven't started my Pepto routine yet, but will do so in three weeks! First ,getting ready for trip to India. Will stay in touch on the boards.

Nolan from Davie Fl. (near Ft. Lauderdale).

Nolan,

I am so happy to have found a fellow traveler. I hope your trip to India will be fascinating and that the Pepto prevention is a success! Amazingly, my significant other, Steven Lerner, will be with me of course on the Galapagos adventure. Any relation? I will be sure to ask him as well. Have a wonderful vacation. We will hopefully keep in touch.

Marcia

I have just sent the following letter to <cruisenewsdaily.com>

Your article about a Noro like virus on Xpedition was inaccurate. I was on the Oct. 31 - Nov. 6 sailing. On that cruise, I became very ill with severe gastrointestinal involvement. I have since done much research about Norwalk and Traveller's Diarrhoea. My symptoms most fit a Noro virus. There were slight fever, headache, severe abdominal cramping, many (15 in my case) liquid bowel movements with in 10 hour period, convulsive vomiting so violent that I feared I'd pass put because I needed to breathe and my diaphragm was still attempting to empty my stomach. This was followed by 12 hour of extreme aching, slight fever, nausea, and at 72 hours after first attack, another 5 hours of diarrhoea, and at 7 days after first onset a further 12 hours of fever, nausea, diarrhoea, cramping and aching. Laboratory tests (requested by my doctor) ruled out Giardia, other parasitic organisms, E-Coli or other bacterial organisms. Based on my description and these laboratory tests, my doctor indicated that I "must have had a form of traveller's diarrhoea."

My report of my illness can be found on < cruisecrtic.com > go to Celebrity board. Use term <Xpedition, Incredible> or <Please Xpedition veterns> to read my report and the reports of others. Also on that same Celebrity board, a long thread <Galapagos! Wow! what a trip!> has some reports. Using the terms <galapagos> and <Xpedition> you will find other reports of the passengers who posted there about being ill on Xpedition.

What is the source of your information? On what are you basing the 2 dates? At least by hearing from me, correct that to include Oct. 31 - Nov. 6, 2004. Your report minimizes what I and many others on Cruse Critic (cruisecritic.com) have reported.

I did report this to the doctor on Xpedition. I still have his bill to prove it. I know that 5 other passengers also reported to the doctor with the same symptoms or more severe. One woman told me that she was vomiting blood. And, by one passengers' count, another 9 passengers on the ship with me also had this same illness. Since there were only 70 passengers on board with me, that makes 20% who were ill, and 5 out of seventy is 5% so the doctor on Xpedition should have reported that outbreak to CDC.

I myself reported it to RCCL by e-mail and received after several repeats an acknowledgement that Celebrity is aware of problems and attempting to resolve. That email carefully did not mention Xpedition or any ship by name.

Posted this on two threads...

I received the following 'unsolicited' email from Michael Sheehan, Director at RCCL re. the GI illness in Galapagos. I would urge anyone who suffered illness while on Celebrity Xpedition to contact Michael to discuss the issue. I'm sure the offer is extended to anyone who became ill. Not sure how/where Michael obtained my name and email address.. perhaps on this board... did anyone else receive an email? Jen

"I'd be happy to talk to you about your recent experience on Xpedition

and your illness. If you'd e-mail me your phone number I could call you,

or,you are welcome to call me at my office number below. Thanks you."

Michael J. Sheehan

Director, Corporate Communications

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Phone: 305-539-6572 Fax: 305-536-0140

E-mail: msheehan@rccl.com

I have had a long discussion with Mr. Sheehan and another person (whose name I am not going to attempt to spell) They assured me that Celebrity is going to be investigating the illnesses on Xpedition. They are going to have a medical team, familiar with communicable diseases and the differences between bacterial and viral infection control.

I replyed that if this is true, Xpedition passengers will know that it is happening. Passengers will see changes in the dining room service, (more gloves, fewer bare hands service), in the use of cleaners on board especially in the cabins of those who are ill, and the crew will be taught how they can contribute to breaking the cycle of transmission.

It is my opinion that this will reassure passengers and will be good for business.

So, someone is finally admitting the evidence before their eyes and declaring that the Emperor has no clothes!

Let us hope that next Tuesday, Xpedition veterans will be reporting that these measures are in place. Then we will finally know that efforts are being made to break this cycle of transmission.

Only a short note on the illness side of things. Only had one and a half illness noted the I know of. The half was a lady whose seasickness patch threw her into a turmoil for about 24 hours, after she got the patch off, and the transdermal medication wore out of her system, she was back at 100%. The other was a man, M.D. got hi on Cipro and he was fine about 36 hours later. Saw some folks being EXTRA cafeful, but for the majority, just went and had a good time. We were advised/encouraged to use the alcohol cleaner at the bottom of the steps coming back from town both Tue and Sat - after Santa Cruz. Did, however, have fun seeing people hung over after some serious partying when they realized they were going to be out in the very bright and HOT sun, ok, so I'm not always nice, but it was fun.

My DW and I were consistenly religious about the Pepto routine at 3-4 a day and did a marked increased efort with good hand washing techniques.

A medical doctor got high on Cipro? I've heard of kids getting high on cough suppressants, but I really didn't know that an antibiotic could affect one's mental state. I did know about the patch having that effect. It's sad that she hadn't read CC because the warnings about the motion sickness patch, and about trying it out before it is needed were posted here.

But mainly, good to here no known cases of GI illness. We can start to hope that the cycle has been broken. However, I'm now wishing that I'd followed my own advice and taken the Pepto all the time. I quit taking it on Tuesday aboard Xpedition, and came down sick 2 am Friday.

Get rested.

Thanks for the good news.

Are pax or staff talking about this GI illness on board? Just wondering how seriously this is being treated by the staff or if it's a non-issue unless there's a major outbreak.

Did you find that most pax were informed prior to traveling & came prepared with preventive remedies?

Good news. Hopefully next week's trip report will be as positive.

Jen

This is exciting news though. The doctor "got him on cipro". When I asked the doctor, last November, if I should start taking the Cipro (which I had with me in case), the doctor said no. I know doctors (as I am) are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics unless they are very certain that there is a bacterial pathogen. It would appear that the medical team now knows more. The doctor prescribed Cipro and it worked. More evidence that this is a bacterial infection, because antibiotics don't work on viral infections.

Now all future Xpedition passengers can take this new information with you.

I still am keen on knowing what specific information is being given. Keen to know how the protocols for cleaning, for serving are carried out now.

John, is this good news for you? Are you able to take Cipro? I don't know whether doctors advise taking Cipro prophylactically. I'd guess not.

Thanks, again, Thrpy. Get lots of rest and get your routine sorted out. You've been very helpful.

We are booked to go in August and with all the talk of the GI problems almost dropped out. Now I have gone ahead with the air and my side trip to Machu Picchu so I think that Galapagos is a fait accompli.

We shall however, take all the meds with us and the Pepto etc. Fortunately, my husband used to practice travel and tropical medicine in years gone by so hopefully he will be there to attend to us in case we fall prey.

We have to thank all the cruise critics without whom Celebrity would not take the interest they are hopefully taking.

Hi Kami,

My doctor is giving me a round of Cipro. My travel partner's doctor will not as he feels one must be sick first. His PhD comes from Asia.

I have always carried generic medicine, and taken the prescibed Malaria, Yellow Fever, and other meds dictated for travels to those regions requiring them.

John

Archived