Valor 9/6 – 9/13 Pictorial Review

fofita01

We pretty much laid out on the Lido day until 2 pm – people-watched, saw the Master Mixologist contest where Kent, our CC friend competed, watched the Men’s Hairy Chest contest and just enjoyed the sun.

2697119210105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

Our CC friend Kent making his Tequila Twilight drink

2982309450105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

Billy!!! Ok, so I havent talked about Billy yet.... He was one of favorite "ship celebrities"... Billy and his wife Selma were celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary on this cruise. They were everywhere we turned and were quite popular in the Paris Hot Latin lounge. They were a hoot. I wish that when I'm 84 years old I have the energy they have... they were out till 3 am on most nights dancing the night away. God Bless them.

Billy making his Dirty Banana drink

2107934830105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

Hairy Chest Contestant

2715663560105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

This is why I love Carnival Cruises... doesnt this look like everyone is having a blast?

2395595550105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

I wanted to do the Wine Tasting at the Scarlett Steakhouse, but I didn’t care for the selection of wines at this degustation. It was three reds and three whites. The price was $10 pp and 45 mins – 1 hour long. Maybe next time!

At 2 pm we went to the aft pool area for our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. We had a great turnout. It was great meeting everyone and putting a face to a name. BTW – I made name badges for everyone on our roll call with everyone’s screen name and that worked like a charm. I am so sad I don’t have pictures of it… I know I took some, but I have no idea what happened to them! If you are reading…. I hope each one of you had an awesome cruise just as we did and that our paths cross again in the near future!

After our M&G we went to the Photo Gallery to look at all the pictures from the last night to kill some time before Tea Time at 3:30 pm in the Washington dining room. In all my cruises I had never made it to Tea Time, and I am now banging my head on the table because I have truly missed out. But hey… now I know what I’ll be doing on each cruise during a day at sea around 3:30 pm! Tea Time was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G… I drank the chamomile tea and enjoyed a few servings of the chicken salad and cucumber itty bitty sandwiches, the scones, fruit pie, fresh strawberries and chocolate cake. It was all delicious!!!

2632710790105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

2081958020105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

2591657230105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

2105577420105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

After Tea Time we hung out for a bit on deck and then went to the cabin to get ready for Formal … err… “Cruise Elegant” night. When we got to the cabin it was rather warm and I knew it would only get worse as I blow dried my hair. So I called the Purser’s desk and told them I needed a portable fan PRONTO… They sent one up to our cabin in no time and we plugged it into our power strip…. Ahhhhh…. Air… finally! As we were finishing getting ready I got my Chocolate Covered Strawberries delivered – compliments of my roomie J Yummy! Hang onto those for later! Sasha and I decided to skip the Captain’s Welcome Reception because quite frankly it ain’t that special anymore! We finished getting ready and headed to the dining room.

2708861980105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

Sasha skipped the appetizers and just ordered the prime rib… oh no! Is she sick??? Yep! She was feeling a bit seasick… Oh NO... but she said she'd be alright! As for me…. Drum roll….PUMPKIN SOUP... I’ll take two, please! I just love, love, love the pumpkin soup… I wish I could have it every night. I ordered the lobster with a side of mashed potatoes (yum). Once I was done with my lobster, the waiter came by with another plate… he asked if I wanted it, I declined, but he insisted, so I accepted. Dinner service tonight was kind of disappointing again because the waiters kept on messing up and were very slow! It was so slow that we skipped dessert…. Yeah… I know, I can’t believe it either! But we wanted to take pictures in our cute dresses, so we used the same strategy as the previous evening and stopped by every single backdrop.

2049448780105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

2559769030105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

2460106990105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

We rushed to the Ivanhoe Theater so we could get good seats, and we scored center seats in the lower level. Nice! The show this evening was called “Far from Over” and it was spectacular. I had seen this show before, but they have revamped it and added all these awesome lighting effects. I was singing along the entire show to my favorite 80’s songs. I highly recommend not to miss this show.

A Kiss on the Lips for ME.... none for you! My favorite drink

2517883140105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

We headed to the cabin to change into something more casual and so Sasha could lay down for a bit. At midnight we went see Eddie Capone’s R-rated comedy show in the Eagles Lounge. We laughed so hard that I almost peed in my pants. He is just hilarious, but it was all rigged, I feel so cheated… more on that tomorrow. After some good laughs, we went to the Paris Hot for some Latin music and dancing. After the lounge closed we continued on to the disco for a bit but it was pretty dead.

Billy and Selma dancing some Salsa in the Paris Hot lounge

2524275120105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

We had an early day the next morning so we finally went to bed at around 3 am (again). We filled out a breakfast room service card and placed it outside our door…. For delivery at 6:15 AM! What the hell!?!? But one must make sacrifices… even on cruises. Before turning in, I set my trusty travel alarm clock for 7 am just in case room service was tardy… we wanted to be off the ship by 8 am and at the beach before anyone else.

Our lobster...

2431872750105379140S600x600Q85.jpg

Up next – Day 2: Grand Cayman

I wish that we froze! We were on this same cruise and the only black mark against an otherwise perfect trip was that our AC did not work properly. We were in balcony cabin 7225. It was about 78 degrees in the cabin. We thought there was an issue so we called and they came up with a thermometer and told us the temp and that it was "unacceptable." Then, forgot to fix it! They left us a fan. I was a miserable that 1st night. I woke up at 2 am and called an complained. I was at guest services by 8am and by 9 they were in our cabin again. Whatever they did helped. My dh bought a refrigerator magnet thermometer in the gift shop ;) It hovered around 72 degrees after that. We still kept the fan though and used it every night.

Did any one else catch the incident with the 3 stranded Mexican citizens? When the ship stopped in the middle of the ocean after leaving Cozumel on September 11?

Enjoying the photos and trip report. I keep looking for myself in the pics!

Joey - I am thinking that something's up with the A/C then! Hummmm... Well... we had the technician in our cabin the first night and he did something to the A/C that helped a lot.... once the tech left I proceeded to take off the vent that cover the A/C "hole"... and that helped too. But on day 2 it was still too hot for our liking so we called the Pursers desk and said I must have a fan in my room NOW. I ended up not really using the fan much after that... except for the 2nd formal night when I was blow drying my hair.

We didnt catch the "stranded Mexican citizens" incident as we were in the MDR.... by BOY we did feel the vibrations! It was like nothing I've ever experienced.

I'm loving this review and all of the pictures. Thanks!!

Welcome! It is truly my pleasure to post my review. I'm doing it mainly for me... It gives me an outlet and allows me to re-live the cruise all over again.

I hope to be done soon.... :p

Please take your time. The longer this review lasts the sooner our cruise will be here.:)

I really should be taking notes of all the great stuff you did so we can all do it too. It'll be DH & I, my friends, their teenage daughters, and SIL & her DH who'll be going too.

I want to try the tea too and I hope to stay up late for the midnight adult comedy show. The soft rocking of the ship just makes me so tired after dinner that I can never stay up that late. Perhaps a nap in one of the lounge chairs during the day will help with that.

Heaven help me but now I'm looking forward to this winter (and I hate winters!) just so we can go cruising.;)

Lisa

Please take your time. The longer this review lasts the sooner our cruise will be here.:)

I really should be taking notes of all the great stuff you did so we can all do it too. It'll be DH & I, my friends, their teenage daughters, and SIL & her DH who'll be going too.

I want to try the tea too and I hope to stay up late for the midnight adult comedy show. The soft rocking of the ship just makes me so tired after dinner that I can never stay up that late. Perhaps a nap in one of the lounge chairs during the day will help with that.

Heaven help me but now I'm looking forward to this winter (and I hate winters!) just so we can go cruising.;)

Lisa

Lisa - thanks for the compliment. I'm glad my review useful to someone and not just for my own enjoyment LOL.

You will all have a wonderful time away from the cold and when you come back with a tan everyone will secretly hate you J/K

Well I'll be back on tonight with Grand Cayman's installment.

Do you need to be dressed up for the afternoon tea - or can you just go from the pool as long as you have clothes over your swimsuits. I was thinking of taking my daughters one afternoon.

Thanks!

That is exactly what we did... we wore the casual dresses we wore earlier in the day over our bathing suits. You will see people dressed very casual and other that are already dressed for dinner. Enjoy it!

FOFIIIIIIII!!!

Hi Lorena! Shoot girl you make me glad I am going AGAIN in Jan!!! I loved the ship, the food EVERYTHING!!\

Brenda

Hey Brenda,

I see you will be on the valor twice before me. You lucky devil.:D

Hoped you enjoyed your cruise.

Keep it coming Fofita....I'm hanging on to your every word.;)

hey fofi. this is your roomate's father. i am enjoying your review. nice pics. what happen to the cabin ac? was it fixed? i see you are going to join us on the victory cruise 5/16/10. we are going to have alot of fun. can not wait. cheers! GO IRISH

Joey - I am thinking that something's up with the A/C then! Hummmm... Well... we had the technician in our cabin the first night and he did something to the A/C that helped a lot.... once the tech left I proceeded to take off the vent that cover the A/C "hole"... and that helped too. But on day 2 it was still too hot for our liking so we called the Pursers desk and said I must have a fan in my room NOW. I ended up not really using the fan much after that... except for the 2nd formal night when I was blow drying my hair.

We didnt catch the "stranded Mexican citizens" incident as we were in the MDR.... by BOY we did feel the vibrations! It was like nothing I've ever experienced.

My husband took the vent cover off too! It helped only marginally but maintenance told us the temperature should not be as high as ours was registering. I usually freeze on cruise ships and not just in the cabin, everywhere. I bring several sweaters to keep me warm, but I didn't need them much this time. I think there is probably a bigger issue with the AC on the whole ship.

The 3 guys were on a boat and sent out a distress signal. So the ship stopped to help. We were in our cabin when the ship stopped and the sideways thrusters were being used. It caught our attention, so we went up on deck to investigate. The little boat was tethered to the ship and there were lights from the ship focused on them. They actually used the big light on the front of the ship as a spotlight to find them in the first place. The cruise director made several announcements about the situation. They waited for the Mexican coast guard to come pick them up. Which they did, with machine guns in hand! It was probably a 2 or 3 hour ordeal. My guess would be that they were fisherman, or divers because I saw tanks on their boat.

Honestly, we were a little un-nerved by it because we had just seen the news on our cabin tv about the hijacked plane in Cancun. Then the ship stopped moving. Then we see a boat tied up to the ship. I kept thinking scary thoughts about terrorists...so were a lot of people that were out there. It's sad that we even consider stuff like that but in this day and age I suppose it's somehow "normal." Just glad that it turned out to be a real rescue!

There was also a passenger that fell down the stairs as we were about to set sail from Belize. It looked really bad. He had a major gash across his forehead and was unconscious. They were working on him. I hope he did ok. We left Belize late too so I'm thinking that they took him off the ship. Did you hear anything about him?

I really am enjoying all your photos! I thought that Carnival Valor was beautiful! I loved the theming in Rosie's. It gave me a whole new outlook on the newer ships. I'm glad to see the trip from your point of view too.

Hey, maybe I should do a photo review too? I can't figure out how to post the photos in the body of my posts though. I can upload them but they are thumb nails that have to be clicked on to enlarge. How can I put them full size into the body like you did?

Did you go to the show - Just Rock - ? We loved that one on our last two cruises. Awesome, and the performers were fantastic!

Pam in KY

Pam - The two shows were "Far From Over" and "Nightclub Express".... Was "Just Rock" on the Valor or did you see it on another ship?

Hey Brenda,

I see you will be on the valor twice before me. You lucky devil.:D

Hoped you enjoyed your cruise.

Keep it coming Fofita....I'm hanging on to your every word.;)

Well..... you are in luck! Grand Cayman will be posted tonight! :)

hey fofi. this is your roomate's father. i am enjoying your review. nice pics. what happen to the cabin ac? was it fixed? i see you are going to join us on the victory cruise 5/16/10. we are going to have alot of fun. can not wait. cheers! GO IRISH

Hey dad! :)

Thanks!! I'm glad you are reading and enjoying it! Did you see how nice and sweet Natalia is... yummy Chocolate covered Strawberries!

The A/C just would cool down even with the thermostat at the lowest setting. It was sort of fixed... I guess because it did cool down to "bearable" temperatures the rest of the cruise, but no where near freezing how I LIKE IT LOL :rolleyes:

Good eye there on the signature... I am not "officially" booked YET... but I am for sure joining you and the family for the Southern Caribbean Adventure :D

My husband took the vent cover off too! It helped only marginally but maintenance told us the temperature should not be as high as ours was registering. I usually freeze on cruise ships and not just in the cabin, everywhere. I bring several sweaters to keep me warm, but I didn't need them much this time. I think there is probably a bigger issue with the AC on the whole ship.

The 3 guys were on a boat and sent out a distress signal. So the ship stopped to help. We were in our cabin when the ship stopped and the sideways thrusters were being used. It caught our attention, so we went up on deck to investigate. The little boat was tethered to the ship and there were lights from the ship focused on them. They actually used the big light on the front of the ship as a spotlight to find them in the first place. The cruise director made several announcements about the situation. They waited for the Mexican coast guard to come pick them up. Which they did, with machine guns in hand! It was probably a 2 or 3 hour ordeal. My guess would be that they were fisherman, or divers because I saw tanks on their boat.

Honestly, we were a little un-nerved by it because we had just seen the news on our cabin tv about the hijacked plane in Cancun. Then the ship stopped moving. Then we see a boat tied up to the ship. I kept thinking scary thoughts about terrorists...so were a lot of people that were out there. It's sad that we even consider stuff like that but in this day and age I suppose it's somehow "normal." Just glad that it turned out to be a real rescue!

There was also a passenger that fell down the stairs as we were about to set sail from Belize. It looked really bad. He had a major gash across his forehead and was unconscious. They were working on him. I hope he did ok. We left Belize late too so I'm thinking that they took him off the ship. Did you hear anything about him?

I really am enjoying all your photos! I thought that Carnival Valor was beautiful! I loved the theming in Rosie's. It gave me a whole new outlook on the newer ships. I'm glad to see the trip from your point of view too.

Hey, maybe I should do a photo review too? I can't figure out how to post the photos in the body of my posts though. I can upload them but they are thumb nails that have to be clicked on to enlarge. How can I put them full size into the body like you did?

WOW - I totally missed the stranded Mexican fishemen/divers thing... Must have been interesting to see. And yeah good thing it has nothing to do with that plane that was hijacked

As for Belize... I heard Gary come on the PA to say to hang on to railings on the stairs and such since the ship may list :eek: as we depart from Belize.... I hope that man was OK after his fall.

Glad you are enjoying my photos and review - from my point of view. I encourage you to write a review... it's great because you get to re-live the cruise in your mind!

Posting photos in your review - what you need to do is upload your pictures to Webshots.com or Photobucket.com. Then what you will need to do is select the size (pixels) that you want to use (i'm using 600 setting on Webshots) and copy the URL (the one that says "direct link to image"). Then open up a new post on here CC and select the icon with the little mountain (second row, 5th from the right). Paste the URL in there and VOILA your picture shows up within your post. Hope that helped!

Hi Keith!!!

I'm going in Sept. after the Jan. one but its going to be the "standby" cruise, so not sure where I will end up! I didn't even KNOW there was a burrito bar on this ship! Know where I will be NEXT time! hehehehe Keep up the good work Lorena, I'm enjoying it emensley (and I was there!).

Brenda

Archived