Favorite Area to Scuba Dive in Each Port?

CaribQween

We're looking for everyone's favorite areas for scuba diving in the ports we'll be visiting in February (i.e. barrier reef, wall, shore diving, etc.). We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Please include the area, the type of diving (boat, shore, drift) and if you had a good experience with a certain dive op, we'd appreciate it if you would include that also. We'd be more than grateful for everybody's opinions. We've probably had the least input on Belize which seems to be the least favored place to dive of the four ports or at least from what we've read so far. If it helps, we're fairly new to diving so we don't have a huge amount of experience. We'll have our AOW certification by February and will have taken the drift diving specialty course also.

would you like to know the color of my fins and wet suit too?

Whoops .. bet I foul the site police on that one .....

come on folks ... do you READ any posts or just post questions?

I answer MANY but your's seems lazy

Wow!! I'm really very surprised to get that response from you. You've seemed like a personable guy in the past. I don't really think I've done anything that would deserve such a rude response. And this question was not directly addressed to you so you didn't have to even stop and reply. But you certainly didn't need to be offensive.

I've actually done an absolutely incredible amount of research on diving in all of these ports and I've read hundreds of posts and talked to people at our dive shop to get their input. I've learned all of the popular dive spots in each port and could probably list off exactly what type of diving each is and several of the dive operators in each. HOWEVER, I was simply asking anyone to put their FAVORITE spot or their favorite type of diving such as the North Wall in Grand Cayman or shore diving at Coco View in Roatan. We're considering doing Ambergris Caye in Belize which consists of taking a Cessna to the island to dive the barrier reef or any number of about 50 different dive sites such as wrecks, tunnels, canyons, etc. We've read posts that say that Belize is the least favorable of the four ports, but we're interested in diving Belize and just wanted some opinions from people who may have really enjoyed it for one reason or another. Some people may enjoy shore diving in Roatan but it may not be good in Cozumel due to currents. Or the wall may be really great in Grand Cayman, but the North Wall may be too advanced for some whereas the West Wall may be more realistic. It's funny because we say how great the diving community is and how everyone really seems to want to help everyone else so that everyone really enjoys their diving but does it safely.

This forum is meant to ask questions and to get answers regarding the subject. Up to this point, everyone has been extremely helpful. But every once in a while you have a ***** that comes along and wants to try to demean someone for no reason. The question is simple. In addition to the obvious places, we are simply looking for something that may be different. Something that maybe someone else has figured out that may be a unique experience. In addition, we are simply looking for a dive ops that maybe has been used that ended up being unsafe or overly helpful. If you have no useful information, then you should by-pass the post. It's not mandatory for you to respond.

We'll be going to Grand Cayman
Wall diving in GCM. Use http://www.neptunesdivers.com Shore diving is a possibility there too. Either Eden Rock or http://www.sunsethouse.com

Cozumel
Not a shore diving destination. ALL drift diving. There are only about 80 dive operators there to choose from. You challenge is to find one that will accommodate a cruise divers arrival time. http://www.scubatony.com http://www.scubawithalison.com http://www.eagleraydivers.com http://www.divewithmartin.com http://www.papahogs.com

Belize
Most people just go with the overpriced ship's dive there because of logistics. The reason is that the ship anchors quite a way out from shore and it takes a while to tender in. That, and there are only a couple of dive operators where the tenders dock to choose from.

Roatan.
No recommendation here. Shore diving is a possibility. Check the Roatan section in Ports of call.

It really won't help you all that much to know specific dives sites. You will be unlikely to be given an option (unless you shore dive) as to which site you will visit. If the dive operator doesn't already have a predetermined schedule like "if it is Tuesday, we dive Green House and the Tugboat" you will be on the boat with people who are diving multiple days with the same operator. Those people, along with the DM's recommendation, will more likely pick the dive sites.

BTW, IMO your questions do seem a bit repetitive and normally I wouldn't say anything about it, but since you had an issue with Capt's opinion, I decided to comment about it.

I know you want current opinions, but most of these questions have been asked/answered more than once within the last 6 months. Also, since you did ask for opinions, you should expect all kinds, even negative ones. YOU can ignore them just like you told Capt to by-pass the post.

Also, you might preface your OP with something like "I've already read lots of threads about this subject but I'd like to know more" or something to that effect.

We're looking for everyone's favorite areas for scuba diving in the ports we'll be visiting in February (i.e. barrier reef, wall, shore diving, etc.). We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Please include the area, the type of diving (boat, shore, drift) and if you had a good experience with a certain dive op, we'd appreciate it if you would include that also. We'd be more than grateful for everybody's opinions. We've probably had the least input on Belize which seems to be the least favored place to dive of the four ports or at least from what we've read so far. If it helps, we're fairly new to diving so we don't have a huge amount of experience. We'll have our AOW certification by February and will have taken the drift diving specialty course also.

For an unusual port excursion you will remember a long time especially if you don't pay attention and miss your ship :eek: try this dive I just wrote to another question a few minutes ago. Fly / Dive while in Belize http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1069185

Takes all kinds I guess.

Wall diving in GCM. Use www.neptunesdivers.com Shore diving is a possibility there too. Either Eden Rock or www.sunsethouse.com

I like the shore dives here but the wall diving at this port is incredible. I need to return since our diving at GC was BC (before digital cameras :().

Not a shore diving destination. ALL drift diving. There are only about 80 dive operators there to choose from. You challenge is to find one that will accommodate a cruise divers arrival time. www.scubatony.com www.scubawithalison.com www.eagleraydivers.com www.divewithmartin.com www.papahogs.com

You know I like Martin but have been with and liked most of the above shops.

Roatan

Always booked on our own and enjoyed the dives. The operators just never have really stood out enough to write much about (not bad just still looking) Bananarama was ok. Years ago I would have said John Paul on the West end but he has been in hiding for several years. A shady character for sure but produced a memberable day on Roatan :rolleyes:

BTW, IMO your questions do seem a bit repetitive and normally I wouldn't say anything about it, but since you had an issue with Capt's opinion, I decided to comment about it.

Most questions on this board are somewhat if not outright repetitive, but I have to age with the OP the comment was uncalled for (probably - hopefully - made after toooo many drinks and no ability to control the mouth - or fingers as the case may be, maybe Bill will be his next friend ;)) IMHO

If your not looking for information or the chance to help someone out as we have been helped ourselves, what the HECK would someone even be on this board for ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

YOU can ignore them just like you told Capt to by-pass the post.

Seems to be why people get away with so much as most people just look the other way and never say anything when someone is out of line or cutting in traffic or breaking into someone ELSE'S house. Not me I'm pulling over and getting out to stop them from doing it to the next person usually a little ol lady, a young kid or some other helpless victim.

My hats off to the OP for saying something. again IMHO.

You know I like Martin but have been with and liked most of the above shops.

You've been diving with Tony? I haven't. I've only met him during the surface interval at Playa Palancar. I do know that he did some really nice charity work right after wilma. IMO, he's a standup guy.

Even though you disagreed with me, I definitely respect they way you did it. No personal attack, no rude comments, just a tactful statement of opinion.

For an unusual port excursion you will remember a long time especially if you don't pay attention and miss your ship, try this dive I just wrote to another question a few minutes ago. Fly / Dive while in Belize [/quote" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1069185
Yes, I've seen your response on the other post...We've REALLY been looking at doing that excursion. The ride on that little plane would be exciting enough even without anything else. Your info on that post was really great. You've been so helpful to us newbies to diving. We're so excited about getting to the good diving (even though we are loving diving our quarries here in good 'ole Indiana for some strange reason. I think it's because we're just so new to diving and love it so much, but once we get a taste of the good stuff we'll be spoiled, spoiled spoiiled).

Seems to be why people get away with so much as most people just look the other way and never say anything when someone is out of line or cutting in traffic or breaking into someone ELSE'S house. Not me I'm pulling over and getting out to stop them from doing it to the next person usually a little ol lady, a young kid or some other helpless victim.

And thank you. I appreciate your comments. I too have trouble just sitting back and accepting the way some people treat others. I can tell from your examples that you and I have a lot in common. I'm the one that follows a small child around a store or mall just to make sure he/she gets back to the parent who isn't watching and has no idea that their child is gone. I'm the type that jumps out of the car in the middle of traffic when I see a dog out there ready to be hit at any minute (my husband has tried to hold me back a couple of times because I don't always jump out at the best moment.) I remember once when I was living in Tucson and was stopped at a light and all of a sudden at the bus stop that was right next to my car, I saw these two young guys start beating the crap out of an older gentleman. I mean really just throwing punches. But no one in any of the cars around did anything, but me. I laid on my horn and rolled down my window and started screaming for them to stop. They did stop and ran off. I pulled into the grocery store right there where I knew they had a security guard on duty and he could call the police and ambulance. I'm telling you, to this day I think about it and I just can't fathom why no one else was willing to do anything to help this poor man.

So, that's why I responded to the comments as I did. I just don't find it acceptable behavior even though in large, our society does accept it. I can't. So once again, it's good to see a good guy like you around. We all have to watch over and protect the underdog (children, animals, seniors, etc.) and help when you see someone, anyone, in need of help or being mistreated. So my hat's off to you too.

As an advanced dive, most dive operators would be somewhat reluctant to take a cruise diver there unless the other divers on the boat wanted to go there as well.

http://bluextseadiving.com/cozumelreefs.php

Good point, but I do keep track of all recommendations for future dive vacations. There's a big world out there we have to cover before it's all said and done :). So I continue to appreciate all recommendations.

It's also good to keep track of this info because you might decide to go back to Coz (or any of the other islands) for a land-based diving trip like we have done many times since our first trip to Coz on a cruise ship 10 years ago!! :-)

We use Alison in Cozumel and love her!

In Belize this past February, we dove with the RCCL ship tour and actually had a good time despite the large number of divers (we usually try to go with small boats) but as others have mentioned, Belize is a tender port and the cruise tour let us get right on the dive boat from the ship. The water and the boat ride to the dive shop was beautiful and we had some dolphins join us near the dive shop! Great day!

Haven't been to Roatan but we debated a land based trip to Cocoview this November but decided on a southern caribbean cruise for our diving instead. Pls report back on your experiences there!

Have always missed Grand Cayman on cruises, too, so no input there either.

Have fun & enjoy your Caribbean diving. We are land-locked in Kansas and the only diving I enjoy is the Caribbean type :-)

Good point, but I do keep track of all recommendations for future dive vacations. There's a big world out there we have to cover before it's all said and done :). So I continue to appreciate all recommendations.
Excellent point.

It's also good to keep track of this info because you might decide to go back to Coz (or any of the other islands) for a land-based diving trip like we have done many times since our first trip to Coz on a cruise ship 10 years ago!! :-))
Yep, 7 days in Cozumel is my ideal of a great vacation.

• 4 months later...

CaribQween and Caribkng,

Now that your cruise is over, I wonder if you might be kind enough to share how the diving went. Did the operators that were recommended to you pan out? Any advice or useful information that you can pass along for those that might be visiting these spots?

Archived