Cabin Category Switch - OV to Balcony

lvcrzn1016

We had two OV cabins booked for our upcoming cruise in 22 days. We paid 599 per person for these rooms. I was checking the Carnival site for price drops and OV cabins were now higher but they had a resident rate for balconies (balcony guarantee) for 579 per person.

I called our TA and she called Carnival to see if we coulod get switched to balcony rooms. They said they would not refund the difference but would move us to balcony rooms. Then they said there was only 1 balcony guarantee left so we could have that one but would have to pay 35 dollars and some change to move the other. We went ahead and did that because we did not feel 35 dollars was unreasonable. So now we are in two balconys. Yay!

But, I just rechecked the Carnival site and the 579 rate is still showing as available. If it is still available why did we have to pay $35 extra for one of the rooms? Any ideas? Should I call the TA back?

Also, is it standard for them not to refund the difference in rates? They wouldn't do an OBC either. Just curious! Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Short answer, is that anytime before you make final payment, you're usually in good shape, but after you make final payment, you're locked into the rate you paid...I've heard of someone occasionally arguing their way into a reduced rate, but in all the times I've seen that happen, if you're within 60 days...it is what it is.:(

Archived