Go with the cruise line or private tour operator in Cozumel? (Coba or Tulum)

hibiscus27

Hello

Currently, for our cruise, RCI only offers two Tulum excursions and none to Coba.

For the Tulum tours: one is "express" which takes 6.5 hrs and the long one that that takes 8 hours.

I'm that some private tour operators have an express Coba tour....

Considering the time restraints - looks like we only have 8 hours in Cozumel - should we go with one of these Tulum excursions? Or would you think its ok to venture out with a private tour operator?

Thanks!

I havent done these tours yet but will be going to Tulum in November and did some research. The overwhelming vote for both Tulum and Coba is that you book through the cruiseline. As people have stated on my research, there could be traffic issues, mechanical issues, etc that could delay your trip. If this happens on a cruiseline tour you are safe. If not, you might get some extra time in Mexico! ;)

I'm a big fan of private tour companies, but if your docking in Coz for 8 hours you'll be wasting 2 hours waiting on/riding the ferry to the mainland. They also want you back aboard 30 minutes before sailing, and there's no guarantee you'll be first to debark (cruise lines usually let their excursion pax go first). Tulum is close enough and there are hundreds of taxis available if your guide has car trouble. Coba is more remote and has much less traffic. I'd do a private to Tulum from Coz with a reputable firm only if the price differential was high, I'd pass on a private to Coba unless I had more than 8 hours, or we docked at Calica.

It all boils down to your risk tolerance.

there's no guarantee you'll be first to debark (cruise lines usually let their excursion pax go first).
That isn't an issue in Cozumel. Ships dock there, everyone is free to walk right off the ship.

It all boils down to your risk tolerance.
Totally agree. Personally, I wouldn't go off the island unless on a ship's tour.

We were in Cozumel on Carnival cruise in 2004. We got off the ship, took the ferry, then found the bus station and took the bus to Tulum, all by ourselves!! We felt it was way too expensive through the cruiseline! At Tulum, we hired a guide to show us around, it was very pleasant, and we went at our own pace. We spent about $20 per person on transportation, plus the guide and food, we feltvery safe and very proud of ourselves !

We were in Cozumel on Carnival cruise in 2004. We got off the ship, took the ferry, then found the bus station and took the bus to Tulum, all by ourselves!! We felt it was way too expensive through the cruiseline! At Tulum, we hired a guide to show us around, it was very pleasant, and we went at our own pace. We spent about $20 per person on transportation, plus the guide and food, we feltvery safe and very proud of ourselves !

Good for you, the ADO bus service is great there.

Archived