LaBaie Sea Kayaking

Hello, We will be in LaBaie on October 15th and have scheduled a sea kayaking excursion at Saguenay National Park through NCL. They say no previous kayaking experience is necessary, which I hope is true. Has anyone done this before? Is the weather likely to be an issue, as in too cold or rainy? Any clothing suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Very likely to be cold and rainy. If you don't already own appropriate clothing/ jackets, verify if the tour company is providing jackets and boots.

If you don't need this sort of clothing where you live, consider borrowing from friends. Don't wear jeans as once they get wet, they stay wet. Dress in layers with special attention to gloves, hats and a layer that will be close to your skin but will help you stay comfortable.

A local backpacking store or some place like Cabella's and/or Bass Pro Shops should have employees who can advise you. There is a balance of dressing enough to be comfortable while not getting overheated when paddling.

I prefer to wear a layer of wool, but that is my own opinion and may not work for you. Many people prefer man made fabrics with brand names such as Patagonia (expensive). The brand of wool I prefer is IceBreaker from New Zealand, but it is very expensive. I use it enough to justify the cost. You might not.

You really need a hat. I make my own wool ones in a beanie style so they don't blow off.

Decent weather is a relative thing in Canada in autumn. Be prepared and you will be OK. Many people on your ship will not be prepared at all. Don't let them get you down on the subject. My late mother in law who lived in Florida wore sandals and summer clothes in eastern Canada in September and was very cold. Some people you just can't tell anything.

Archived