Grand Cayman Walls

CaribQween

We have read many posts that discuss diving the West Wall and the North Wall in Grand Cayman. However, when we look at a map of dive sites there, we are unable to figure out which specific locations these two walls would be due to the fact that there are numerous ones identified on the map. Could anyone provide a little more clarification on whether these walls may be identified by any other names?

I believe that West Wall and North Wall are not specific dive sites. They are merely designations for a geographic area. When "North Wall" is mentioned, that means the whole North area of dive sites on that particular wall. There will be numerous individual dive sites on each wall.

I believe that West Wall and North Wall are not specific dive sites. They are merely designations for a geographic area. When "North Wall" is mentioned, that means the whole North area of dive sites on that particular wall. There will be numerous individual dive sites on each wall.

That makes sense. Other posters have stated that we should really try to include a wall dive in our itinerary for Grand Cayman. From what we've read, we understand that the North Wall is best suited to very experienced divers and the West Wall is probably better suited for our level so we're just trying to make sure we plan appropriately. Thank you.

I'd heartily agree with bruce ....

B4 the opening of the 'stingray city' stuff, most of the dive resorts were in the 7 Mile Beach vicinity, or at least on the same part of the island and most diving were spots along the west wall off 7 mile beach....with a little overflow going to some stuff on the south side. There were a couple of places around the island away from 7 Mile, like Rum Point / Tortuga Club (set out one visit in the 80's just to FIND this place) but they were hard core places cuz a) the wx/seas on that side of the island could be harder for the average diver (west is usually in the lee) and b) there was little to nothing to do other than diving and sun bathing...the action was/is in Georgetown.

Now that stingray city has created a demand on that side of the island there is a BIT more over there ...

Along the west wall you will find probably a hundred named dive sites...and the diving is just as good 20 yards to either side. Most of the 'names' tie to the fixed moorings that have been placed to prevent dropping anchors and further damaging the coral.

First time - or 20th time here ... dive the west wall...it will be plenty good....dive the iron shore at 40 feet...it might be BETTER!!!!

I'm an escapee of the deeper is better fixation ... but I'll admit that hanging 20 feet off the wall at 100' and knowing the bottom is some 500' or more below is VERY cool . . .

Archived